General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning problems for next year...need HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-05 9:51 AM

User image

Subject: Planning problems for next year...need HELP!
(This thread is a repeat of the thread I posted in the Triathlon Talk area...if this is breaking any rules I apologize, I just know how people gravitate towards one area of the forum. This thread also has a lot of experienced people who can probably help)

Ok, so I sit down this week to plan my next year of racing using the Triathletes Training Bible. The only race I'm really planning on with any priority is Ironman Wisconsin. I don't care about any other race. I will race others, but they will only be in preparation for Ironman Wisconsin.

Planning the year is hard. It says in TTB that you should skip Build 1 and Build 2 periods if you are doing an Ironman. So is my next year going to be all Base? if so that's fine, but I'm having a real hard time figuring out when to do what and when. I'm wanting to do Gale Bernhardts 13 weeks to a 13 hour Ironman but I need to be doing stuff in the offseason I would think. 13 weeks from Ironman Wisconsin would have me start training in June, which seems late.

I know it's only October, but I feel like if I don't get on it soon or get it figured out I'm just spinning my wheels. I like to train knowing I'm following something....It is so frustrating.

If anyone out there can help me I would sure appreciate it.

2004-10-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #69418

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: RE: Planning problems for next year...need HELP!
I went through the same thing. You can't spend a whole year focusing on one race ... you're gonna go mad and so is everyone else around you.

I'm doing a 1/2 in June and a Full in Sept. Many folks have told me that they peaked for a 1/2 and also peaked for a full at about the same times as I have scheduled. They said it worked very well.

IMO, your focus will suffer spending all your time preparing for one race. Also, I wonder how long one can base train for one race.

I'm currently doing prep work (2 sessions a day, :30-45 minutes a session) for my base periods that start in December. I have Base 1-3 (repeated twice), then a taper, then a half-IM. After a week off (transition), I go through base periods 1-3, peak, full ironman race.

If you don't peak earlier in the year foir a race, you're basically going to have 10-14 "Base Sections of 4 weeks each" ... doesn't sound all that exciting to me.

Personally, even if I weren't doing a half earlier in the year, I would do a solo race, so I could practice the peaking part of long course triathlons. Then whatever peaking/tapering mistakes I made in June, I could correct in september.
2004-10-05 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
TripleThreat - Are you following a plan that has a 6 month lead up for a 1/2? I just finished a much needed 2 week relaxation period after a 9 month 2 peak period. Now I want to get back into it with a bunch of base building and then getting ready for a 1/2 the end of April or June. I just haven't found a plan that goes this far out. Any ideas? I'm hoping to work in a 1/2 marathon in January.
2004-10-05 4:23 PM
in reply to: #69422

Expert
NC Illinois
No, no plan. Figuring, adjusting, and contemplating it as I go. Asking a lot of questions, getting a lot of feedback, reading a lot of plans/programs ... trying to see what's appealing and what isn't.

If I was looking for a 24-week 1/2IM plan, I would just use Herrick's 20-week plan (at this site) and do the 1st 4 weeks twice.

My early base stuff will look a lot like my prep stuff, only a little longer in duration. While, I am anxious to get into the long distance, heavy volume stuff, I'm more worried about being dead when I should be peaking. Right now, I am focused on frequency and consistency following a period of troubles with ITB.

If I find anything longer than 18 or 20 weeks for a 1/2IM, I will post it. I did save something the other day that was a 36-week IM program. You might be able to select 6 months worth of prep from that, sort of a cut and paste together your own program type thing.

2004-10-05 4:35 PM
in reply to: #69572

User image

Elite
San Diego
I have a 5 month plan that I used for my half this year. It is from my tri club's IM coach.

http://media.cust.clickability.com/documents/Half-Ironman+Prep.pdf
2004-10-05 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Thanks. I'll read it through and see what I can use.

2004-10-19 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Sounds like were in the same boat and both rowing with no oars. I have signed up for Wisconsin 2005, and I also am going stir crazy wondering what to do. Everyone tells me to cool my jets and relax, there will be plenty of time for hard training in the future. Do I wait until March to start or do I try to improve upon my base now. Feel free to check my logs to see if I'm anywhere in the right direction.
2004-10-19 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Yep.  We are in no man's land now.  I am doing some base building but will also do some stuff just for me.  Mountain biking, spinning at way too high a heart rate, and some much overlooked yard work.  I'm going to work with a 30 week program soon.
2004-10-20 12:03 AM
in reply to: #74233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Would love more info on your 30 week program. So far I have no plan but lots of energy,
2004-10-20 5:47 PM

Master
portland, or
Here's a good series of articles written by Gordo Byrn that might help you put together your season: gordo

While I agree in principle with the often heard comments that you should not be focusing on an IM that's 10 months away, let's face it, you've signed up for an event that's going to test your physical endurance in a way you've probably never been tested before. No you don't want to be out doing weekly centuries and 20 mile runs, but what you do now does have an impact.

Now is a great time to focus on weaknesses such as sport specific skills, physical strength, and body composition. Prep training should focus on frequency versus duration or intensity. Frequent short sessions are a great way to improve skills and begin adaptation. They're also easy to recover from.

Keep things fun, build up some credits with your family, get things done around the house, but be sure you swim, bike and run regularly.

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Planning problems for next year...need HELP! Rss Feed