Ironman North America
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 56m 42s
Overall Rank = 968/2208
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 152/257
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 am and had plenty of time to get some breakfast (bagel, cream cheese, banana, gatorade). Then drove to the race area. Got body marked, set up all my stuff at transition and visited the porta-potty and then got wetsuit on with a lot of bodyglide.

I felt pretty calm and my stomach was relaxed. I had a powerbar, got into the water after saying goodbye to family and had a strange sense of satisfaction just to be at the start line. I think I was calm because the only thing to do now was race. I couldn't change anything anymore, all I had to do was make sure I made the right decisions on the race course. Listened to the US anthem and got ready for the cannon.
Event warmup:

Nothing much, just swimming to the start area. It is an ironman, afterall.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 5s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went well. When the cannon went off, I felt a sense of elation that we were finally starting. I found myself literally smiling and laughing out loud when I thought of all the fans that were out there cheering and watching this amazing moment.

I went wide, but not overly wide. I was bumped quite a bit, but just minor bumping...nothing serious or scary. I got into a rhythm several times, but never for more than about 10-15 minutes at a time. For some reason, I couldn't see a thing of where I was going. I just hoped that everyone around me was going the right way! I did have two freaky moments when I was swimming along in clear water and suddenly heard and felt a loud 'kerplunk' RIGHT beside my head from someone kicking hard. That could have been ugly.

After first loop was pretty dizzy and got a bit worried about what I would feel like after the whole swim was done. It turned out okay, though. I also swalloed water a few times, and peee twice in my wetsuit (that's still hard to do for some reason!). Also after the first loop, felt like my ankle strap with my timing chip was falling off...after a quick check, i stopped panicking.

Exited the swim feeling pretty good and ready to take on the rest of the day!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all.
Transition 1
  • 09m 51s
Comments:

There was a longish run to transition from the water and it was down hill...i could not stop myself! I felt like I got changed and on the road relatively smoothly. Much better than last year at CDA, and that was the goal.

nothing at all
Bike
  • 6h 54m 42s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.20 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a spectacular bike course. I was so impressed with the breathtaking scenery, the challenges, and the variety on the course. I used to think that doing a flat course like IMFL would be the best, but now I can't imagine a course without some hills to add interest to the long ride and to change up riding positions. And the fans on some of those climbs...are you kidding me? Amazing.

I flew through the first loop (3:13) and was feeling incredible. I was climbing smoothly, felt strong in aero, descending confidently, I mean really great stuff. Reached 45mph on a descent without touching the breaks and in aero position. Felt so good to be able to do that on nice smooth roads and wide sweeping turns. Between pappa bear and leaving town for the second loop, I was euphoric. The fans were incredible.

The second loop was a bit tougher mentally and physically. Everyone and their dog passed me on the bike, especially on the flats. I really had to struggle mentally to keep focused and not chase people. "see you on the run" became my personal monologue everytime I got passed. "remember people, this is a TRIathlon" was another thought that was on my mind much of the second loop. Also, i was having some saddle discomfort as I forgot to use bodyglide in my bike shorts :( Once I reached the three bears, though, I was back in the game and felt good again. Ready for transition and to get off the bike!

Nothing at all
Transition 2
  • 06m 33s
Comments:

Nothing special, just tried to keep it simple. Again, much quicker than CDA, which was the plan. I kept saying to myself, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

Nothing at all
Run
  • 4h 27m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was looking forward to the run as it is my relative strength. Legs felt good right off the bike, which was amazing. I had not done many bricks in training and was worried about that, but the moment I dismounted, I knew I would be okay. I started off and my first two miles were 9:30's. This seemd fast, but I decided not to slow down as I did in CDA. In fact, I just thought, "stay comfortable until you're not comfortable anymore". My first 6 miles wer under an hour and I felt strong still, so I kept it going. I don't have a strict nutrition plan, more of a variety of things so that I can choose whatever feels right at the time. As long as I keep tabs on how my stomach feels and act accordingly, i am usually okay. This day was no exception, thankfully.

So I knew that I was doing better than CDA, but I refused to do the math in my head to see just HOW well I could do. I was worried it would make me go to hard and bonk. I promised myself that I would do the math once I hit mile 20. I would check how quickly i did each mile, but I held off the urge to calculate a possible finishing time until mile 20. I was running at about 10:45-11:00 minute miles at this point including walking all the aid stations. At mile 20 my time was 11:57. 1 hour 3 minutes to break 13....decision time. My first thought was that it was too fast and too early. But then I realized that if I kept the same pace, I would finish around 13:05. This is where I lost sight of my original goal which was to finsh feeling strong and happy, and decided to go for the sub 13hour mark... a dangerous decision with over an hour of racing left... I dug in and picked up the pace to about a 9:30 pace. Amazingly, I held this pace all the way to the finish line. I charged up the hill into town and flew around the out and back and felt...well, I was struggling mentally to keep myself going! At one point in the last mile I saw a guy walking, running and clearly hurting and I told him to keep it up, that we were definitely going to break 13 and not to give up.

Running on to that oval was really magical. I was so freaking pumped and proud and amazed. I let out a big yell as I crossed the finish line, just to see some idiot in a full sprint pass me with a half meter to go. WTF?? Hey buddy, I hate to break it to you but we are nowhere near a KONA slot! not that he was even in my age group. When I looked at him, it was the same guy that I encouraged at mile 25!!! Unbelievable. Anyways, I tried not to let him ruin my moment nonetheless. i let the double hamstring cramp at the finishline ruin my moment instead!

My iron fans were unbelievable! Bringing me such energy everytime I passed them. Especially my three ladies; my mom, my sister, and my lovely wife who did ironman cda with me but decided to give this one a pass.

Nothing at all...maybe trip the guy at the line...no, not even that.
Post race
Warm down:

massage and blankets and pizza

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know. I think that I performed at my best.

Event comments:

I was very proud of my day and so pleased with my fans! I am having trouble deciding whether to continue with this IM addiction...time will tell.

Last updated: 2007-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:05 | 3862 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 170/257
Overall: 1299/2208
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: check ironmanusa.com
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:54:42 | 112 miles | 16.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 200/257
Overall: 1366/2208
Wind: Some
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:27:33 | 26.2 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 100/257
Overall: 633/2208
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-25 12:03 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2007-07-25 1:29 PM
in reply to: #900850

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Great RR.  Congrats all around. 
2007-07-25 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Way to go Ivan! 9:30 miles for the last 6 of an IM?! You're a running machine, man.

Congrats!

2007-07-25 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job!  Congrats
2007-07-25 6:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
GReat JOb!! congrats on breaking 13 on a tough course
2007-07-25 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Great job!  Nice RR too.  I think I saw you on the Webcast, as I definitely recall the idiot sprinting past some dude (you) right at the finish line.

Way to go Ironman!!!

2007-07-25 9:22 PM

Champion

Awesome job breaking 13 hours, that's a time I can only dream about.  Way to go IRONMAN!!

2007-07-26 4:13 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Fantastic race Ivan!!  Congrats on racing your best and feeling so good about the day!
2007-07-26 7:05 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats~

Nice work those last 10K, brave and tough, but you did it!

Smart pacing and way to hold back on the bike to set yourself up for a great run.

Some folks just can be nasty and not enjoy life...hey you have the attitude that rocks! 

2007-07-26 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Really enjoyed reading about a plan coming together - great job on the run!  Nice RR!
2007-07-26 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Great race! I am amazed at how you were able to pick up the pace for the last 6 miles. You are tough. Congratulations!

2007-07-27 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Congrats Ivan!!!! Great race.  It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself.  I need to find my run legs like you did next time around.

What's next?

2007-07-27 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Congrats Ironman!  Great job digging in and breaking 13h!
2007-07-27 6:49 PM

Online or Offline

Nice race! I am impressed that you decided to go for broke and put in the effort to try to go sub 13...and did it!

The Florida course might be good for overall bike time, but it does not compare to Lake Placid in any way -- I did it in 2006 and it's a very boring, non-descript ride....one 112 mile loop of pavement. Aside from the sheer challenge of riding 112 miles, the only exciting part of the ride was trying to keep my bike upright and rolling straight when I caught gusts between the condos along the short stretch of oceanfront.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" I heard that on the webinar

You definitely should continue with the IM addiction! (We are a bunch of enablers around here, so no one is objective about your "problem!"

2007-07-28 3:11 PM

User image

Thanks everyone!  I have gotten over the last second pass and I am feeling recovered enough to go for a light jog   Overall, it was truly a magical day (how quickly we forget the pain...)
2007-07-31 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California

Hey my MAN...  congratulations...   That was an awsome race, and what a finish..

I registered for CdA next year, I will pick your brain soon..

Cheers

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed