General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mission Bay Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-08-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: #911733

Santa Barbara, CA
Subject: RE: Mission Bay Tri
mixie - 2007-08-02 3:20 AM
Running on concrete is not good for your body! I don't plan on changing my training to do something unhealthy.

so true. i try to run on trails as much as possible. when i DO do a lot of mileage on concrete my knees start to bother me.

2007-08-02 6:58 PM
in reply to: #901037

User image

San Diego, CA
There is a debate on which is harder on your body. One view is that concrete is roughly 20% harder than asphalt and it produces more impact on your knees. On the other side of this is most roads have an uneven shoulder which causes you to run at a constant angle. This has generally caused an issue in my running called Iliotibial Band Syndrome.

Sidewalks are made flat and concrete for "walking" hence the name "sidewalk", roads are made a little softer and with shoulders to prevent cracking of the surface from heavy weight and water runoff.

Either way, running is always going to somewhat hard on your body, there's no avoiding it. It's what you do afterwards that will make you stronger for it the next time. If you incorporate some basic runners stretches before and after your workout and maybe a little yoga you will find the experience a lot less painful and also your body will adapt. The body is amazing like that, you make it do something, and it adapts to do it better the next time. If you avoid it and never train on the run, you may never find your groove. I know you have it you just have to get out there. If you really don't want to and walking the run in your triathlon works for you, well I guess that's what you're going to do.

If you are interested in bettering you run, I would start off small. Do a 5-10 minute run (doesn't matter how fast as long as you are not walking) 2-3 times a week and really focus on stretching before and after. You will find in the weeks to come it will become more bearable to go a little longer. This is called "imposed adaptation", you make your body do something, and it adapts to be more efficient at it. You can do it on dirt, tar, or concrete it really doesn't matter. If you put some time in, I promise you will get more out of it. I think you do not give yourself enough credit, please think about working on your run. Who knows, next year, your run could become your strongest leg of the race.

In my opinion Triathlon is the perfect sport because it has a progressive impact structure versus something like marathon where you are just constantly beating on your legs.

1. The Swim: Almost no impact, gets your heart going.
2. The Bike: A little impact, picks up the heart rate a little more.
3. The Run: The impact is more than the other legs, but it's even less than if you were to all out run, because you're fatigued, you just can't run as hard.

There will be many places in the race where you can dip off onto grass or asphalt, so I wouldn't worry. I seriously hope you will consider balancing your training and spending some time working on you run. Again, feel free to PM me if you have any questions as I am always happy to help.

If anyone is in San Diego tonight, come check out the Triathlon Club of San Diego's Beginner and Newbie Networking Meeting tonight at 6:00, we will be discussing the Mission Bay Triathlon. Myself and other's will be there to address any questions or strategies you would like to discuss.

It will be at:
Hi-Tech Bike Shop
7638 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 715-1517
2007-08-02 7:06 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
Another note: if you are worried about your knees, take a look at Barefoot running, it actually reduces the impact on your knees while strengthening your ankles.

Details here: http://runningbarefoot.org/
2007-08-02 9:06 PM
in reply to: #911496

User image

Expert
mixie - 2007-08-02 1:10 PM

JAW_IV - 2007-08-02 2:49 PM

mixie - 2007-08-02 12:38 PM

DO you know if the run is concrete or pavement? I have a hard tim erunnong on sidewalks! Thanks

It's all sidewalk... You'll be OK though, just don't think about it it's only a 5k...

well for me, 5k is a lot. This really makes me want to drop out of the race. Seriously, I can't run on sidewalk for more than 5 minutes w/o my shins screaming, I'll just walk the run

Maybe I'll bail out and do the long beach tri instead.

I have had chronic shin splints for the last 6 almost 7 years. I mainly walk the run portion of the tris. Don't let walking discourage you. There are quite a few walkers out there you would be surprised. The main thing is finishing. It doesn't matter how you do it, just as long as you cross the finish line.
2007-08-03 9:18 AM
in reply to: #911914

User image

San Diego, CA
The main thing is finishing. It doesn't matter how you do it, just as long as you cross the finish line.

That's a very good point.

Edited by JAW_IV 2007-08-03 9:18 AM
2007-08-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: #911458

Santa Barbara, CA
JAW_IV - 2007-08-02 12:46 AM

Here's a screamin deal for ya'll still looking for wetsuits:

Subject: TRIATHLON WETSUITS-- 50% OFF SPECIAL
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:46:03 -0700

SAN DIEGO -- XTERRA WETSUITS AUGUST SPECIAL
50% OFF ALL 2007 XTERRA WETSUITS
To redeem this certificate:
call us @ 858.565.9500
email [email protected]
buy online @ http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/products.html

Use either fastwetsuits50 or fastwetsuits50a (case sensitive) as your discount code. Applies only to the Vector Pro X2 and Vortex 2 wetsuits.

This promotion is not valid with any other offers and can only be redeemed as listed above. Subject to availability. Non-transferable. No back orders or rain checks.
EXPIRES August 20, 2007

WE GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE SATISFIED WITH AN XTERRA WETSUIT; THEREFORE, ALL OF OUR SUITS COME WITH A 14 DAY TRIAL PERIOD. YOU CAN KEEP THE SUIT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND IF YOU ARE NOT FULLY CONVINCED THAT IT IS THE FASTEST AND MOST COMFORTABLE WETSUIT THAT YOU HAVE EVER OWNED, YOU CAN RETURN IT FOR A FULL PRODUCT REFUND LESS A 15% RESTOCKING FEE--NO QUESTIONS ASKED. SIZE AND MODEL EXCHANGES ARE ALSO ACCOMODATED DURING THE TRIAL PERIOD WITHOUT A RESTOCKING FEE.

i bought one! thanks!

2007-08-06 4:10 PM

User image

How is that new Xterra wetsuit?

Does it make a big difference in open water swimming?

I'm having some trouble with it. There has been this disgusting sewage looking algae, decaying kelp, wind chop, strong currents and murky green water.

Do you guys think it'd be better to go to an indoor pool for a while?
2007-08-06 5:41 PM
in reply to: #915410

User image

San Diego, CA
I would stick with sea water if you can. The salt water actually makes you more buoyant and you'll want to get used to that. On the other hand, swimming in a pool can help you fine tune your stroke and make you somewhat stronger.

Whatever you do, keep that wetsuit out of the chlorine, it will drastically reduce it's life and dry the rubber out.

Where is this murky water? In a lake?
2007-08-06 5:59 PM

User image

The disgusting water is in South Bay los angeles. We had a week long red tide a couple months ago, and now this horrible looking green bubbly algae on top of the water. So when i'm breathing, i get it in my mouth. A lake would be a godsend compared to all that stuff. Oh, and the south bay has barucudas, which made me happy when i found myself swimming in a baitball of tiny fish, with shiny goggles on my head

Sorry! Just mad at the ocean quality lately. Companies need to get their act together and start treating the oceans with respect, not as a dumping ground.
2007-08-06 6:18 PM

Santa Barbara, CA
I will try it for the first time this Wednesday. I tried it on tho - fits great. That water sounds nasty! I swim in the pool 3-4 days a week to work on my form. Now I'm adding one OWS per week.
2007-08-14 8:33 AM
in reply to: #915578

User image

San Diego, CA
So how was the wetsuit? Did you feel more buoyant?

2007-08-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: #924923

Santa Barbara, CA
JAW_IV - 2007-08-13 6:33 PM

So how was the wetsuit? Did you feel more buoyant?

Its amazing! Definitely more buoyant.

Last week I swam for about 800m in the ocean and was able to keep my head down for the first time. The wetsuit really helped. When I got out of breath, I could just float on my side or back. I think it will help me tremendously. I was also faster and warmer. thanks so much for info!

2007-08-14 1:48 PM

Corona, CA
That's great to hear. I just ordered one too.
2007-08-31 12:40 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
This is just a reminder... I just got off the phone with the Koz Enterprises office and they indicated that the Mission Bay Triathlon event should be sold out by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

If you have not registered and are planning on doing this event, you better get on it. I will look forward to seeing you out there.
-Buck
2007-09-04 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
Ugh. I was waiting for my partner to tell me if he was in. I called today to sign up. SOLD OUT!
2007-09-06 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
If this is the same course as the May sprint tri, the sidewalk goes through hard packed dirt. If that is more comfortable for you, you could run right next to the path.

2007-09-06 1:48 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
Here are the maps. Some of the run has packed dirt, and grass next to the paths.
Here are the maps

It's a lovely course. I look forward to having a beer at the after-party. It's a nice way to wrap up a great triathlon series.
-Buck
2007-09-06 2:53 PM
in reply to: #954262

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-09-06 2:57 PM
in reply to: #954262

San Diego, CA
Cashmason - 2007-09-06 11:38 AM
same course as the May sprint tri

I meant to mention that it is a different course...
2007-09-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #954388

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-09-07 8:50 AM
in reply to: #954282

San Diego, CA

Some of the run has packed dirt, and grass next to the paths.

Not to worry... You're gonna do great!

2007-09-27 10:40 AM

San Diego, CA
So is everyone ready for this weekend? Are you excited? I'm excited.
Does anyone have any last minute concerns?
-Buck
2007-09-27 11:01 AM

Yea, I'm definitely a little nervous! I wasn't able to make it to the course talk earlier this week with the tri club and would definitely be a little more comfortable going into the race if I had.

My biggest concern is the swim. I know it's point to point, but is it like across the bay or along the shore? I'm definitely not an open water person and have already been laying awake at night dreading the swim since this is my first tri, I've only done the bike and run before.
2007-09-27 11:04 AM

Corona, CA
I'm sure fired up for it! The swim is my biggest worry too. I know I'll finish it but it won't be pretty.
2007-09-27 12:27 PM

Santa Barbara, CA
yea! i'm heading down to san diego tomorrow! sooo excited for my first race. good luck to everybody!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mission Bay Tri Rss Feed  

of 4