General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-25 3:50 PM

Subject: From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices

I just bought a used road bike ('94 OCLV 5200 TREk) and am looking to TRI it out. I am new to the sport and am still learning. I completed two OLYs and might do a couple more before my HIM in Sept.

My saddle is brutal (San Marco Asp) and I need another one, especially for the HIM I am looking at, something light and around $100. Any Ideas? Would a tri specific saddle help at all?

I have an aluminum seat stem, would a tri specific one give me a more aggressive angle on the bike allowing me to be in the Aero position more comfortably?

Also have a Vetta computer that came with the bike I might replace that as well. Any preferences.

The main issue though are the aero bars. I have carbon handle bars and from what I have been told I can't clip-on aero bars to these. So I need to find either a carbon handle bar that would be made to clip-on aero bars ($$$) or just get decent aluminum handle bars and clip-on aero bars. Maybe something adjustable. And should the aero bars be carbon as well? Or is the difference in performance minimal.

And of course I don't want to spend an arm and leg on this, but I do want something decent.

I have used aero bars, but only one set and do not know the difference between the various shapes such as the S curve, the Iron man, the Vision.
Where am I going to see the benefit of these?

I just want to be comfortable on my bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices Rss Feed