General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to bring on a long ride? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: #901579

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: What to bring on a long ride?
anything over 50-60 miles (depending on the route, amount of climbing and effort involved) requires me to bring solid food ), which is usually a PB&J sandwich. After a certain point, gels, water and electrolytes do nothing to ward off the sensation of hunger in my stomach.

Edited by betyoursilver 2007-07-29 9:50 AM

2007-07-29 12:43 PM
in reply to: #905538

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I have a very high sweat rate and it has been something I've been working on "defeating" on my longer training rides/runs.

Yesterday for my 70 I had three 22 oz. bottles filled with Gu20 and Endurolyte powder and 5 Gu's in a flask (one Gu taken every 1/2 hour)  At the halfway point I stopped at Wawa and bought 2 32oz. Gatorades to refill the two bottles I had left .... since one of the original three had bounced out of my behind-the-seat bottle holder (when it was full mind you) and exploded all over the road when a car ran over it ....... and I also bought a banana.  So in all I had 4 bottles plus the little extra from the Gatorade after filling the bottles back up (close to 90 oz. when it is all added up), 5 Gu's and a banana for the entire ride.

And I was still dehydrated by the time I did the 3 miles for my brick .....

Damn I sweat like a pig.

2007-07-29 12:46 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
Lucy - 2007-07-25 5:51 PM

II was gonna hit up the tri club guy for Hammer stuff, till a thread in the Nutrition Cafe said it tastes (insert gross thing here).  So, I"m afraid to try it.  I have tried Heed, it's not too bad... 

A 70 mile ride really isn't the place you want to be trying new stuff.  IMHO hammer gels are pretty good, but you don't want to be an hour away from home and come down with the squats because a gel you ate didn't agree with you.  Take the other people's advice, but only bring stuff you've used before and know will work for you.  Just take more of it. 

2007-07-29 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I wouldn't go without my North Face hydration pack full of water (I sweat ALOT), a bunch of gels, and a bunch of granola bars. Preferably peanuts. I also have 2 water bottles full of gatorade - mixed a little on the light side. I did 50+ and ran out of water, so having a stop somewhere is a good thing.

I also recommend 2 tubes, tools for most adjustments (3mm, 4mm, 5mm hex, small adjustable, small pliers, a tire changing tools), cell phone, CASH, a good attitude, and a willingness to get your butt kicked by some hills.

I would also bring a good understanding of the weather forecast. 2 30 mile loops means you are 15 miles away from your starting point. That's a long way WHEN the weather turns nasty.
2007-07-30 8:20 AM
in reply to: #906011

Master
D.Z. - 2007-07-29 8:37 PM

I wouldn't go without my North Face hydration pack full of water (I sweat ALOT), a bunch of gels, and a bunch of granola bars. Preferably peanuts. I also have 2 water bottles full of gatorade - mixed a little on the light side. I did 50+ and ran out of water, so having a stop somewhere is a good thing.

I also recommend 2 tubes, tools for most adjustments (3mm, 4mm, 5mm hex, small adjustable, small pliers, a tire changing tools), cell phone, CASH, a good attitude, and a willingness to get your butt kicked by some hills.

I would also bring a good understanding of the weather forecast. 2 30 mile loops means you are 15 miles away from your starting point. That's a long way WHEN the weather turns nasty.

2 tubes, frame pump, co2, multi-tool. I'm oldschool about carrying a cell phone. My family is familiar with my common routes/times, and if there is a change I'll print my route map beforehand, and give them a time frame within which to expect me. I carry a poncho for the nastiest of weather. Hydration: camelback, 2 water bottles of electrolyte replacement. I also toted some shot blocks. I also carry some basic first aid, band-aids, hand sanitizer, Advil, etc.

This worked quite well for this weekends 94miler to Austin.

~fatBoy
http://trifatboy.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to bring on a long ride? Rss Feed  

of 2