General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Half-Ironman training: having issues! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-25 7:02 PM

New user
Subject: Post-Half-Ironman training: having issues!
This year was my big year with 4 months of great training all for one race on June 3. After that I had some major energy issues. My naturalpath said my adrenals were very low, and my iron was a bit low. For one month I struggled with recovery after most workouts. I since have done a sprint triathlon on the weekend and did well but found workouts this week are tiring again! I am frustrated and am having to decide weither or not to do an Olympic in 4.5 weeks in my town. Has anyone else experience the post- half ironman blues?? How did you keep training for other races later in the season?

2007-07-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: #901597

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Post-Half-Ironman training: having issues!
Nothing in your logs so it's hard to tell, but did you take some time off to recover?  Or at least decrease the intensity and volume of your workouts?  I don't know anything about adrenals or iron, or how that would be tied into your training, but I suppose it would have something to do with your being tired.
2007-07-26 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Take a break mararunner! After a marathon, you have some recovery time......with a triathlon 70.3 distance, same concepts apply. It sounds like you want to train, but your body is telling you something different! Listen to your body.... rest!

Just did Vineman 70.3. I knew (or know) that you need to have some recovery time. Everyone is going to be different....I figure at over 50, I may need some additional time! I planned after my "A" race for the season that August would basically be a fun time, family time, reconnect with friends month. After all, my focus has been on my "A" race for almost seven months (3 months of base training and 4 months of race specific training with "B" and "C" races thrown in to test things in race conditions). That is a long time to maintain focus and motivation. I know I need the break!

Another thought: As you take a break, it is a good time to access your goals, your schedule, your training (i.e. what went well and what didn't go well!). I know that I am going to set up my winter season training, determine what performance testing I'm going to have done, work out how I will break in a new tri bike, evaluate how much base training I will do and look at 2008 race schedules, read Joe Friel's triathlon book and set up my training journal. Eventhough you are not physically training, you can mentally set up your future training!

Again, listen to what your body is saying and take a break! Just my 2 cents!

2007-07-26 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Hey- it could be worse!  After my HIM last August (a year ago) I vetoed exercise pretty much all together until about May of this year.  I just didn't care, couldn't get motivated.  It seemed to be mental--I think I used up all my mental energy prepping and racing the HIM.  Then I got depressed cuz I gained a few pounds and felt sloppy.  However now that it is summer again i am back in the swing.  I would say don't put any pressure on yourself the rest of the season as far as workouts go- just try to have fun.  You will likely retain fitness even with lighter workouts that could carry you through some sprint races successfully.

I did sprint races after my HIM- but I think I only worked out like once a week during that time--and I did ok, even winning my age group in one of the smaller races.  REST=GOOD. 

2007-07-30 6:08 AM

Madison, WI
I think if you sign up for another, you will get fired up to start training again. I will be taking 6 weeks off after Steelhead. I've been training for almost 2 years without a break and my body is breaking down right now. I've had to take more days off in the last month because of nagging aches and pains then I've taken all year. My body NEEDS a break. Sign up for your Oly!!!!
2007-07-30 5:05 PM
in reply to: #906168

New user
I have started to train again. I have the time since I am basically unemployed for the summer (substitute teacher during year). I put in 7.5 hours this last week and plan to put in a bit more in the next week. It's not a big build but it's worth a try. I have a few friends and family that want to come watch this race so I might as well do it. Plus the course is way less technical than I thought it was.

Heather

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Half-Ironman training: having issues! Rss Feed