General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonitis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-06 10:05 AM

Regular
Huntsville, AL
Subject: Achilles Tendonitis?
I've been having some stiffness in my right achilles for the past month or so, and the tightness is worst first thing in the morning, most especially after a run the day before. The pain is somewhat relieved when I walk more on the balls of my feet. And somedays it feels as if I need to 'pop' my ankle, kind of like when you crack your back or knuckles to relieve some pressure.

After some searching on the web, I'm pretty positive that I have achilles tendonitis. I've been concentrating on some stretches and on my runs I'll try to run on grass where available. I've also found that when my achilles is really stiff, I need to take more time to warm-up. After the warm-up and stretch and about a mile into my run my achilles feels perfect.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this injury and what suggestions you can give for recovery.

I'm working on increasing my base and I have a half marathon in Nov. If the pain worsens I know I'll have to rest it, and I'll get back to uping my bike and swim schedules to keep my fitness level up.

Thanks for the feedback,
Aaron

2004-10-06 6:12 PM
in reply to: #69763

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Achilles Tendonitis?
Aaron,
I have this same issue time to time. For me it is related to my hip/spine aligment, visits to the chiroprator helps me out.

YRMV

Don
2004-10-06 6:35 PM

Veteran
Washington
I have had the same problem. Had to take off a month earlier in the year for rest....threw off the training, but that's a different story. Here are a couple of questions/suggestions:

1. If you are on your feet alot throughout the day, invest in a good pair of shoes with adequate padding in the heal region. I was wearing cheap Payless shoes and then bought quality shoes which has seemed to help. High heels have also been linked to achilles's tendonitis.

2. Stretching on a daily basis.

3. Anti-inflammatories

4. last but not least, if it doesn't improve, see someone so x-rays can be done to make sure there is nothing else going on.

just my 2 cents.
2004-10-06 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I had the same problem and I ran barefoot one day at a field and it stretched my Achilles out very well. It never felt better. I try to run once a week on grass barefoot and I feel better.

Mike
2004-10-07 12:43 PM

New user

Aaron,
If it is tendonitis you are correct to warm-up and stretch. Make sure when stretching that your knee is straight to get the gastroc which is usually tighter than the soleus (two muscles of your calf). Also, keep your foot straight and heel on the ground-assuming your are performing a standing calf stretch. You should also add heel raises to strengthen the structure. Try to avoid walking on your toes as it leads to shortening of the tendon which perpetuates tightness. You may also need to look into getting orthotics; for some people they help a great deal. Good luck.
2004-10-21 12:48 AM

Fresno,Ca
I feel your pain. I have had a lot of achilles problems. First was a complete rupture in 97 which took about 3 years before really feeling right again. I also get tenditis in the other achilles occasionally. Recently I found a small bump on the achilles that wasnt repaired. I have been to the doctor on several occasions for this and was told that it is scar tissue. I always get the same advice. Rest, back off training, ice, and repeat. One of the last posts said to do heel raises. Very good advice. To add a little to that, do them with bodyweight only 4 sets of 25. Do not use weight, you will get adequate results with just your bodyweight. Also, depending on your training regimen, try substituting bike work for 1 or 2 runs a week. I currently run mwf and bike t,th. I still have slight soreness but it is steadily improving since I have started this. Id also suggest using the treadmill for a while. Boring, but much less traumatic to the foot. Dont forget complete rest weeks in your program. During these weeks bike lightly or use the elliptical trainers. You'll be suprised how good you feel when you come back. One final thing. Monitor your pain closely. If it starts getting worse, takes longer to go away during your runs or stays with you longer in the morning or during the day, STOP ALL RUNNING. Stay with the bike until the pain disappears completely. I know that is not what you want to hear but the pain is caused by small tears and inflammation in the tendon. It can and will rupture. Ive been there, You dont want that to happen. It will set you back years....Good luck and keep us posted. Mike

2004-10-26 8:25 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Dear god PLEASE stretch. If your achilles is really tight and you continue to get it inflamed you are at risk for rupture..then you have to have surgery and be out for MONTHS and its really a drag. Other things,....good shoes were a great suggestion. Stretch first thing in the am before you even get out of bed, then stretch some more. We naturally sleep woth our toes pointed and in that postion your achilles is shortened..therefore it hurts when you first get out of bed. Night slpits with you foot at 90 degrees will help too. Hope this helps -SO
2004-11-02 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
What seemed to work for me is adding a small heel lift, about 1/8" to 1/4", in my shoe. I would try the least amount at first.

I just took couple pieces of card board, cut them to fit my heel, taped them together with duct tape, and inserted into my shoe that has the injury.

Be sure to ice.

I hope this helps.
2004-11-10 2:13 PM

New user

I had the same thing for a long time. The steps you are taking (running on softer surfaces, warming up more, and stretching more) are good, but there are some additional steps which really helped me a lot: strengthening my calf muscles and getting a pair of running shoes with the right arch support and pronation. It turns out that many Achilles tendon problems are caused by relatively weak calf muscles, which could have been my case, plus the better fitting shoes felt great.

Also, it turns out that a lot of people who think they have Achilles tendinonitis actually have Achilles tendinosis (internal scarring, rather than inflamation).

A web site that I found very helpful is www.achillestendon.com. The material on it was reviewed by different types of doctors (othopedists, podiatrists and chiropractors) plus physical therapists, which seems like a good idea.

Hope this helps and good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonitis? Rss Feed