General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Island Lake Sprint Tri, August 26th Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-27 1:02 PM

MI
Subject: Island Lake Sprint Tri, August 26th
Hi all!

Is anyone else signed up for this tri? I'm unfamiliar with the Island Lake rec area and this will be my first triathlon. I've also conned a friend into signing up with me, so I'd better figure all of this out!! I'm a bit curious about a few details...

How is Kent Lake for the swimming portion? Is it typically a warmer lake? Will we need to rent wetsuits for the end of August or is that not really an issue for a short distance like the sprint? (The event information states they will be taking water temp readings a few days prior to the tri, but that doesn't give us enough time to rent) Do people just usually take them there and decide that morning?

My friend is concerned that we're going to be there looking like clowns with all of these practically-professional athletes. I keep telling her not to worry, while trying to smother my own worry! haha

Thanks for any and all of your help/suggestions!

2007-07-27 2:07 PM
in reply to: #904161

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Subject: RE: Island Lake Sprint Tri, August 26th

I can't help you out with the tri itself as I have never done kent lake.  In terms of a wetsuit in August, I really dont think they are necessary.  if the weather is decent, for a sprint most people probably wont wear one.  But I'll let some of the other people chime in about how warm Kent Lake is.

In terms of looking dumb in front of the rest of the people there, the triathlon community is so accepting of everyone from all walks of life.  Its a little intimidating at First, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask here and at your race.  If you have questions, ask anyone.  They'll more than likely be happy to answer.

2007-07-27 5:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
First I heard of this tri. Boy it will only add confusion to the Island Lake (Novi Subdivision) Triathlon the week before.

I doubt that you would need a wetsuit for the swim, besides even if the water is cool your not going to be in it to long for a 500m swim. (OOPS sorry just reread its a 1/2mile swim, so if it were really cold which I doubt it could get uncomfortable if your slow).

The bike course is what I ride weekly with some co-workers, some nice rollers on it.

Wish it were on a different weekend, sounds like fun, might head out just to watch.

Edited by davhamm 2007-07-27 5:31 PM
2007-07-31 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Brighton, MI
Kent Lake is very warm right now, and will be getting warmer. You won't need a wetsuit, and probably won't be able to use one anyway.

The road at ILRA is gently rolling and during the week is full of men and women on TT/tri-bikes. ILRA is probably the premier tri training ground in the western burbs, with the clean, boatless waters, nice roads and great paved and wooded trails.

I'm thinkin' about doing this too, so you don't have to worry about being the only dorks. I can out-dork anyone. (Of the tri's that I've done, there's plenty of dorkage, so I feel right at home. Usually, there's a large contingent of first timers...don't worry about that...it's a great group with no pretensions...)
2007-08-01 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
rae418 - 2007-07-27 2:02 PM

Hi all!

Is anyone else signed up for this tri? I'm unfamiliar with the Island Lake rec area and this will be my first triathlon. I've also conned a friend into signing up with me, so I'd better figure all of this out!! I'm a bit curious about a few details...

How is Kent Lake for the swimming portion? Is it typically a warmer lake? Will we need to rent wetsuits for the end of August or is that not really an issue for a short distance like the sprint? (The event information states they will be taking water temp readings a few days prior to the tri, but that doesn't give us enough time to rent) Do people just usually take them there and decide that morning?

My friend is concerned that we're going to be there looking like clowns with all of these practically-professional athletes. I keep telling her not to worry, while trying to smother my own worry! haha

Thanks for any and all of your help/suggestions!

Hi, I'm signed up for this tri! My name is Andi, and I've just started training for triathlons this year. (My first Oly will be through the Team in Training program and that takes place Sept. 29 in Washington DC.)

I'm looking forward to participating in the Island Lake Tri. It's a great area and I hope we have as good of weather as we've had these last couple of months!!!
2007-08-01 9:27 AM

MI
Thanks everyone for the info and encouraging words! Looking forward to this more as it gets closer...

2007-08-22 11:51 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
A friend of mine and I may head out to that area on Saturday to check out the course. If anyone else is interested in joining, please email me at [email protected]. We'll probably be there before 9am.
2007-08-25 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Hope everyone has a good race.

Just an FYI, rode Island Lake yesterday morning (Fr 8/24) and the road had some debris on it from the storms Thursday night, which I imagine was added to from the storms Friday night, hopefully they'll get it that cleaned up. The only problem I could find on the road besides the tree debris, was sand in the area of the train trestle. There was quite abit of sand, which had run down the MTB trail just before the bridge, as you head west. With the slight downhill and turn, this could cause some problems, hopefully they'll get that area brushed off. The road seemed o'kay riding east in this area with just a little sand in areas under the bridge.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Island Lake Sprint Tri, August 26th Rss Feed