Ironman North America
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 48m 58s
Overall Rank = 907/2208
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 211/415
Pre-race routine:

Got to LP on Thursday night late. Friday went to registration and went for a quick bike and run just to stay loose, went to the expo and spent money. Saturday went for a quick swim in the lake checked our gear bags and bikes and then just took in the atmosphere and spent more money.

Sunday morning woke up at 3am to eat breakfast. Had 2 PBJ sandwiches, 2 ensure a cup of coffee. Relaxed while waiting to leave for transition. Loaded the car and headed up to transition about 4:30am, got a parking space and headed to get body marked. Then went in to check on my bike, put air in the tires, etc. and drop off special needs bags. Got into wetsuit and headed tot he swim start. During this time had a bottle of Gatorade Endurance.
Event warmup:

Peed in my wetsuit, and again, and again. Then did a quick bit of swimming.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Stacey and I stayed at the back in order to try and stay out of the "washing machine". My swim was awesome. I didn't have to much contact, certainly not as much as I thought I would have. I stayed to the outside, maybe 20yds off the buoys and was able to find lots of open water to swim in. Of course this would close up now and again, but I seemed able to find open water again without much trouble. I did swim over a few people when needed and got swam over once or twice.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I am very happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 09m 21s
Comments:

Got out of water and was happy to see the 1:13 time for the swim. Dropped in front of a wetsuit stripper and got my wetsuit off, w/o much of a glitch.

Long run to T1, but the crowd support was a bit overwhelming. Seemed like I floated there. Grabbed my Bike gear bag and headed into the changing tent. Well it seems everyone else was in the tent also. :) People were yelling and screaming about no room, no chairs, etc. however, if they had just gone t the far side of the tent, there were plenty. Found a seat, dropped my gear and began to change. T1 went smoothly, concentrated on being methodical and not fast, which usually works for me. Stuffed all my wet crap in the bag, hit the "pee trough" (felt like I was at Shea) and headed out for the bike.

Nothing, I stayed calm and collected even with the turmoil going on around me.
Bike
  • 6h 25m 41s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Leave T1 and head out on the bike, get to the first climb out of town and it was like a traffic jam. I wish I had a camera so I could have captured the mass of bikes heading up the large climb before the descent into Keene, it was awesome. I began spinning and seemed to be passing everyone, but the HR was around 120 and I felt calm, so I just relaxed and went with it. Started to take in nutrition here. Hit the descent into Keene and was actually having fun (I am a wuss and don't like descending long harrowing hills). Hit 43mph which I am really happy about and felt really good on the descent. Got to Rt 9 and began to settle in and get my nutrition on track. However, my stomach was having none of it. With each feed, my gut was trying to rebel, water was ok, but nutrition was giving me trouble. I began to drink on the 7 or so minute mark about 1/2 of my usual but more frequently, and this seemed to help. Hit Rt 86 and the climbing began. Again i just spun up the hills and felt really good, was passing several people, but again my HR was not getting about 130-140 and i didn't feel like I was exerting myself, so I went with it. Hit Hazelton and just settled in and took it easy, so many were hammering this section, but in my mind it has some of the toughest hills on the course and you can blow up here if not careful. I saw one poor guy walking with his bike slung over his shoulder and carrying his front tire and fork in his other hand, it didn't look pretty and was obvious his day was over. Exited Hazelton and headed up the final climb in LP. I find these hills not to be to tough, though they are long. Again just spun up the hills and stayed comfortable. Finished my 1st loop at 3:00 exactly and thought I may have a great day. My only concern was that I only got through one bottle of nutrition on the bike. Grabbed my special needs, 2 more bottles of nutrition and a 1/2 PBJ sandwich.

Headed out of town on the 2nd loop and ate the PBJ, although I didn't really feel like it. Climbed the hills out of town and began the descent into Keene, knew right away that this downhill would be slower as the winds had picked up and my wuss factor was higher on now. Only hit about 38mph for a top speed this time, but who cares it still helped my avg speed. Hit Rt 9 and the wind was definitely noticeable now. Decided to just get aero and stay there to get out of the wind. My drinking was better as my stomach was able to handle more nutrition at this point. Headed back up Rt 86 and still felt really good, except my knees were getting sore, however, I knew this loop would be slower due to the wind and heat. Hit the Hazelton out and back and again took it easy. Then the last up hill into LP. Total bike time 6:24, which I am psyched about, had 2.5 bottles of nutrtion, 1/2 PBJ sandwich and to many water bottles to count. I peed twice on the bike once on the 1st and 2nd loop both on the Hazelton out and back section.

Not much, I felt great the whole time. HR was good.
Transition 2
  • 07m 12s
Comments:

Got into T2, volunteer took my bike and I got my shoes off and headed to grab my run gear bag. Got into changing tent and had a whole lot more room this time. Grabbed a chair and dumped my bag. A volunteer came over to help and got my socks out shoes laid out, etc. Then took my bike stuff and stuffed it all back into the bag, this was awesome.

I got my Garmin going to link with its satellites and switched out my HR monitor. Put my new socks on, sock on right foot then sneaker, think to myself that feels a little weird. Then sock on left foot, take a closer look, crap *@#$%^&*(, I have Stacey's socks which are a small and not gonna work on my feet. Okay shoes and socks off, old (bike) socks back on then shoes, ties em up. Put on my race belt w/ gels, visor, and head over to the "Pee Trough" again, beginning to like this things, doesn't smell nearly as bad as a port-o-pop. head over and grab sunscreen lather up my head and shoulders and head out.

Have the correct socks in my gear bag.
Run
  • 4h 52m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Leave transition and I am feeling good, glad to have my Garmin so that I can keep myself in check and not run a 7:30 first mile and completely blow my run. I decide to check my pace, but what is this, my Garmin is blank!!!!! I hit every combination of button possible and nothing, now not only am I running w/o pace but no HR either or TIME!!!!! @#$%^!!!! Okay hit the first mile marker and ask a bystander what time it is, get a very strange look, but i figure that if i can ask at each mile marker, I can get an idea of what my pace is and modify as needed to stay around 10m/m. So somewhere in mile 2 I look a the Garmin again and it is showing pace and HR but the time is stopped at 5:27. I decide not to tempt fate and leave the time off and hope that the pace and HR stays with me. Still feeling good at mile 3 and take a gel and endurolyte. I am walking every aid station to make sure that I get fluids in and alternating water and gatorade and getting new sponges for my jersey. Still feeling good at mile 6 take another gel and endurolyte. I found the course very hot going out, no shade. Mile 9 comes and take another gel and endurolyte and almost loose them, not good. Still walking and drinking at each aid station, but not really sweating much. Hit the turn around and pass up my special needs bag, as anything sweat makes me want to puke. Switch to only gatorade and water at the aid stations. Hit about mile 17 and completely loose it. Quads are trashed, bottoms of my feet hurt, etc., like everyone else I am sure, after all this is an IRONMAN. Walk quite a bit of mile 17-22 trying to get fluids in, which is becoming harder and harder, and stay cool. Every time I run, my breathing gets out of control, but my HR is staying below 140. Hit 22 and power up the hills back in to town and begin to run (or shuffle) again. Hit the turnaround on mirror lake and think I have done it and i have a chance at a personal best. This gets me running for real again. Enter the oval and grab my nephew to cross the finish line. 12:48:58 a PB by about 6 minutes on a much harder course than my previous IM distance event.

Drink More, if possible.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my nephew to my sister, walked around a bit taking in the atmosphere. Then grabbed a seat and tried to wait for Stacey to finish as I knew she would be about a 1/2 hour behind me. At this point a person on the med staff came over and asked me "if I felt as bad as I looked". She asked me a bunch of questions and suggested I get some broth or food. i could not handle anything, as I wanted to puke each time I tried to put something in my stomach and ended up going to the med tent. They watched me for a while and then ended up giving me 2 IV's to get my hydration back. I had lost 10 pounds during the race and was quite dehydrated. After about 2 hours I was released and found Stacey, who by this time was quite PO'ed/worried about my whereabouts. (I'm glad I was in the med tent, otherwise I would have had some "splianing" to do. Grabbed my stuff and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration.

Event comments:

Not sure about post race activities but they were great in the med tent.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:56 | 4224 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 224/415
Overall: 995/2208
Performance: Good
avg hr: 83
Suit: Full
Course: Two loop rectangle, had to get out after first lap for about 15 yards.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:21
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:25:41 | 112 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 202/415
Overall: 893/2208
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course with about 4000' of climbing on each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:52:49 | 26.2 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 218/415
Overall: 1007/2208
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course w/ about 2000' elevation gain per loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %6
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-27 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2007-07-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #904432

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Congrats on the PR Dave on a tough day and tougher course.  Given all the travel you did in the weeks leading up to this I'm not sure how you did it.   You really hammered the bike.  As weird as this is gonna sound I was glad to see a friendly face in the med tent next to me. 
2007-07-27 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Great job Dave you looked good the 2x I saw you. I would like to see what you can do on this course without a trip to France 5 days earlier.

I saw Stacey waiting outside the med tent and she asked me to look for you. I tried but honestly I was pretty out of it myself. If I bumped into you I might not have recongnized you;.

Congrats
2007-07-27 4:56 PM

Expert

Seems like a real CT reunion in the med tent

Great race Dave...wicked fast bike and you held strong on the run.

Mark

2007-07-27 5:13 PM

Champion

See, if you guys would just move to Massachusetts, you wouldn't be in the medical tent!  LOL...no, I think it's just because I was so slow that medical aid wasn't needed.  You looked great when I saw you on the run...awesome job all day long Dave!! 

2007-07-27 6:22 PM

Online or Offline

WOW!! What an awesome job out there Dave!! Like others said, you looked great everytime I saw you!

That's funny about you getting Stacey's socks in your bag.....well it's funny now, probably wasn't then! I think this is the only incident I've ever heard of so far with the volunteers messing up - showing you have being checked out of med, when in fact you were still there! 10# is a lot of weight to have lost during the race!

Stacey was very worried as well as PO'd. I ran into her 2x in all the hubbub and she was still Daveless. You still looked fantastic as I'd run into you guys again after you got out of the med tent!

Congrats on the PR/PB on a much harder course!

2007-07-28 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Great job on a tough race and congratulations on the PR!
2007-07-28 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

ahhh..great job dave!!! We looked and looked for you but you must have been the blur I saw once or twice!! I was out at the North Pole Campground in Wilmington for a few hours.

Damn  good time MR.!!! 

2007-07-28 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Congratulations dave- sorry I wasn't able to pick you out of the masses-did catch stacey once...meducal tent is NOT a fun post race festivity but sounds like a necessary one this time..Congrats on the PR on a hot day-tough course!!
2007-07-28 2:32 PM

User image

You are an inspiration to us all! GREAT JOB! Way to hang in there at the end.
2007-08-01 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Thanx everyone, I just love this community. 

2007-08-01 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Great race, congratulations!
2007-08-01 11:07 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Congrats on a great race!

The medical tent was like Grand Central!  I ended up in there for dehydration as well and my sister turned up two cots over from me (mild dehydration plus a scratched cornea).   One of the docs said the heat seemed to really surprise a lot of people and kept them quite busy.  They were quite friendly in there, but I'd rather avoid it in the future. 

2007-08-02 2:13 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Congrats on the PR and on toughing it out through the rough patches!

Man you look cooked in that picture ...

2007-08-02 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

Nice splits all the way around...impressive bike split and smart pacing. 

You did great and hung tough when your GI issues effected your nutrition. 

Nice PB and awesome race~

2007-08-02 10:01 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Indeed, what a STRONG race - you really attacked it methodically, took the challenges in stride (socks, watch), and set a new PR!  Way to go Ironman. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed