General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training plan advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-27 8:55 PM

Jacksonville, FL
Subject: training plan advice

I could really use some training plan advice.  For starters, I don’t work swimming right now.  I have an ear tube waiting to be removed and don’t want the hassle of keeping water out of my ear.  I have enough ear problems right now that don’t need to be exacerbated.  No swim work for at least 4 more weeks most likely 4 months.

I bike (on my mountain bike) and run.  My current long ride is scheduled to be 18 miles.  My current “long” run is 3.5 mi.  I can ride the bike that mileage every day and feel great.  I cannot run that mileage every day.  I’m still working on smooth running form so my heels hurt some days and not others.

Issues I have…I work nights 6PM to 6AM and have 2 kids and a family life.  I prefer to run on workdays because I can do that over my lunch hour at 1AM.  I prefer biking on my off days once the kids go to bed (8Pmish) or before they get home (2PMish) 

Using Saturday as the beginning of the week here is my schedule….

sat
sun
mon
Tue
wed
thur
fri
sat
sun
mon
tue
wed
thur
fri
work
work

work
work

work
work

work

The Fridays I don’t work I do a brick and the Sat and Sun I don’t work I spend with my family.   

My company gym has treadmills and Stairmasters.  Is that a valid option on 1 of the work night pairs instead of pounding pavement?  Will it benefit my run or just up endurance in general?  Should I run 50% of my long distance the first night and then my long distance the next night?  I really like my run time at work so want to make my schedule fit in if possible. 

In case it matters, goals…sprint tris next year but maybe an oly as well. 

I know, get a coach but my coaching fund of $20,000 a year is all going to my kids daycare. 
Thanks for any advice!

2007-07-28 9:54 AM
in reply to: #904845

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: training plan advice

When designing a schedule, make sure your split your bikes and runs into 'short, medium and long' workouts.  You don't want to have them all the same length.  The short and medium workouts will be recovery from the long workouts or drill/speed sessions.  See a sample of this.

If you can, it would be great to get your run workouts outside, preferably a trail instead of pavement.  Many people experience transitioning from treadmill to outdoor running as more difficult...but one treadmill session won't hurt if it helps you save time.

If you do run one day after the other at work, keep the short session easy so as to either recover from the long run or keep you strong for the long run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training plan advice Rss Feed