Lions Club
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m
Overall Rank = /2500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drank lots of fluids through out the day due to very hot humid weather. Ate pasta and chk for lunch for a good load of protein and carbs, with a whole wheat beagle and pb 2 hrs before the race.
Event warmup:

Stretched and did a 3-5 min light jog. This was my first race, never ran in an organized event so I was really nervous.
Run
  • 1h 31m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first run over 6 miles so I was worried how I would make out and if my legs would hold up. Also the heat was a big factor so my pace needed to be consistant. I started out with the 2500 other runners at a 8 min pace which I immediately slowed down and kept my pace around 9:30/mile through the first 5 miles. Around the first turn going up Ocean Drive there was sooo much support, peouple outside playing bagpipes and "Eye of the Tiger"....it was one of the greatest events I have ever participated in. After passing Scarborough beach (mile 4) and coming up a hill to 108 I was struggling to make it up...but I had remembered a quote I had read in a tri book "spit on those hills" and it really helped me push myself up the hill. Upon turning on 108 the heat was blistering...with humidity it had to be around 90-95 degrees. I had planned on picking up my pace at the 5 mile mark but the heat was really effecting me. I kept plugging until mile 7 the heat finally subsiding a little, and I decided to pick it up to a 9 min pace...I continued on through 8 miles and i started hitting a wall with about 1.5 miles left. When I turned on to Narragansett Ave. and saw literally thousands of supporters out cheering us on the pain in my legs went away and I had a sudden boost of energy....I can't describe the feeling I had when crossing the finish line seeing my girlfriend and the overall satisfaction that I had completed one of my yearly goals 9 min faster than what I expected.
What would you do differently?:

Train a little bit more in the heat...and at longer distances, my legs just were not used to the distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around downed a couple of waters and bananas...than hit up the real festivities the Beer tent. Any race that gives free beers to the runners is a race I will def participate in again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and the heat.

Event comments:

Again the support was amazing, volunteers were awesome and the beer tent was even better. A race that continues with an all out party is always a great time even when you've run 10 miles. Love it...and will do it again next year!

Last updated: 2007-07-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:31:27 | 10 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
Course: The course is absolutely amazing. It wraps around the small ocean town of Narragansett RI. There is so much support by the community it gave me chills through out my run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-28 12:00 PM

User image

Warwick, RI
Subject: Blessing of the Fleet

2007-07-28 8:42 PM
in reply to: #905106

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: RE: Blessing of the Fleet
Wow- a 10-miler for your first race.. that's terrific! Nice time, too..

Sounds like a very cool race- I'm a big fan of RI, lived in Newport for awhile. I'll have to get up to check it out.

Congrats!
2007-07-29 11:32 AM
in reply to: #905106

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Blessing of the Fleet
Great race report! As a fellow Rhode Islander (actually, from your bio, a fellow Warwick-er!) you have definitely inspired be to run that next year! I love that area and I am sure some of the views were beautiful. Great to hear that RI'ers get out there to support it so well!
Fantastic job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blessing of the Fleet Rss Feed