General Discussion Race Reports! » Luna All Women's Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Luna All Women's Triathlon/Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fairview, Oregon
United States
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/71
Pre-race routine:

Shower, breakfast of english muffin and egg with coffee, then loaded the car and go. It's only a 20-25 minute drive out to the race site but I wanted to be early to get a good rack spot, and just go over where the transition area is from the water exit, and make sure I knew which way to head for the bike. I saw ell-in-or pull into the park at the same time and it was great to see a friendly face.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 20m 46s
  • 879 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

1/2 mile swim when laid out looks a lot further than it is. I had some difficulty with leaking goggles so I had to stop twice to get good suction. This hasn't happened in my swim practices so it was annoying. I learned that swimming OW in a wet suit is a lot easier. I didn't use a wetsuit this time. My swim time was 7 minutes slower than the last time I did this race. And lack of proper preparation contributed to a slow time. But the goggles thing...just ticked me off! I was, however, much more mentally present and coherent in the moment. I was able to catch a brief draft about half way to the first buoy. The first time I did this race my mind was everywhere, and I barely remember getting through the swim, let alone having the presence of mind to follow some feet. I am pretty disappointed in my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Weekly OWS practices. Wear a wet suit since I am not a very strong swimmer. It's amazing the difference it makes. (At least for me.)
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Still slower than I hoped for. I thought that I would zip right through this transition since I didn't have to fumble with a wet suit. I was pretty wobbly coming out of the water, and had to sit down to get my socks and shoes on. I am glad I made the decision to switch out my pedals so I wouldn't have to worry about getting into my bike shoes and trying to clip in. I didn't practice this part so I decided to bag it. That was a good decision.

Not sure.
Bike
  • 39m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to get out and ride more. That's it. Ride more!

Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s

nothing
Run
  • 32m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I did feel slow and I had horrible running form. I was just tired, and my HR was sky high. Poor run. Very disappointed to have run slower than a 10min/mile pace.

More brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my family at the finish and walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to lose some weight, need to train more and harder.

Event comments:

I am happy that my overall time was faster than the first time. (1:42 vs. 1:38) But I am really disappointed in my swim and run. Not wearing a wetsuit I think was a poor decision since I am not a strong swimmer, but now I know. My run was just bad. I did not/do not have the same euphoric feeling I had the first time I did this race, and I am actually quite surprised at how hard I am being on myself. I did not think I set goals out of reach for my ability, and it's disappointing to not reach even modest goals. I still had fun...the most important part.

Last updated: 2007-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:46 | 879 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/71
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: no wet suit
Course: triangular loop headed clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:15 | 12 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat out and back on Marine Drive near the Portland Airport. It was slightly windy, but not like it can be on this course. The winds usually pick up later in the day.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:28 | 03.11 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: They changed the course slightly so you're not snaking through the park so much with the finish line in plain site. A change definitely for the better. Basically a pretty flat, uninteresting course. There's nothing particularly good or bad about it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 1:59 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Subject: Luna All Women's Triathlon/Duathlon

2007-07-29 4:33 PM
in reply to: #905669

Champion
Subject: RE: Luna All Women's Triathlon/Duathlon

But did you have fun Kori?  Everything else takes a back seat!  I know, it sounds cliche, and sometimes I also beat myself up when I don't do as well as in a previous performance (like at IMLP).  But I look back and realize what triathlon does TO me and FOR me...and I'm satisfied for those reasons.

How proud do you think your kids are that you are competing?  They probably never say it, but I bet they go to school and, out of your earshot, and brag to their friends that "My Mom is a Triathlete!"  Heaven forbid that they should let you hear that, but down inside they think you are the best Mom in the world.  You know, I think that's worth 7 minutes of extra swimming!

Ya done good...at the race AND at being a super Mom! 

2007-07-29 11:29 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Yes you are a super MOM! Just getting to the starting line is difficult, you beat the first time by 4 minutes! Doesn't matter how, but you did! You are only as good as the day you race and there are so many factors that can change everything, I am sure you still had fun, meeting up with other BTers, I love that part.  I think you did a great job!
2007-07-30 7:48 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Max is right- I've caught my kids bragging about it too!  One even went to show his friend my screen saver- which is the 70.3 advertisement. 

Be proud of your race!!   Cool

2007-07-30 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

You did GREAT!! Don't go all negative - you may not have met your time goals this time, but you got a newbie out there doing it!! I am totally inspired by the amount of juggling you do to get your training sessions in. You ROCK!!

I had NO IDEA how much a wetsuit would help!! Wow! That's only $5 per minute if you're renting...  LOL!!

Great job!!! And thanks for getting ME out there with you and all the woohoos!!! along the way. Very much appreciated.

2007-07-31 8:32 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Well I think it's cool you beat your time by last year, even if it wasn't as fast as you had hoped. You had fun, which is the absolute coolest part!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luna All Women's Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed