General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Branch, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up got dressed, got the kids ready and together. stopped at wawa for coffee and decided on KONA coffee for a little extra tri-god help. fielded phone calls from a very nervous friend who was making this race her first tri ever, i just told her its a long ride down to the race so pace yourself on the worrying! got to the site hooked up with all the usual suspects and got ready to go.
Event warmup:

hit the potty and did a quick transition set up. they people doing the long course had already finished 1 loop before we got down to the beach, i hate being that late. it was a little chit chatting and met up with a woman we met at last week's race and then we were off.
Swim
  • 08m 11s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

water was nice and warm and the waves were next to nothing. i was able to freestyle it without many run ins and only side stroked to get away from the current pulling me into the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

nothing really, i was happy with this time.
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

it was a long way up the beach and the steps across the board walk to the transition area. i did stop to get the sand off my feet at the little shower. there was no line so it didn't really add too much time.

i need to get into my bike shoes faster. they are mtn bike shoes with three straps and no matter what i do they are closed by the time i get there to put them on. i did run with my bike though so that was good. a little trouble getting in the first pedal but the third try was a charm!
Bike
  • 35m 32s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 16.04 mile/hr
Comments:

i thought i had a sign on back that said "talk to me". it was such a friendly crowd and everyone was so chatty, "i like your bike" "you are doing great" "don't ya just love long branch" and one doofus said "you left you swim googles on" which i hadn't but i believed him for about a half mile! the majority of the time i was doing 18 mph, but the dang course loops around neighborhoods and the turns kill me, i'm a spaz and slow down WAY too much.

turn better
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

i need to practice stopping and unclipping more. again the guy was like "you could still go" but there was a bit of a bottle neck jammed with people on the way in so i stopped short and ran it in. i did good again with the yanks but then realized i forgot to take my sports beans on the bike, guess i need to work on that too.

unclip with a little more grace!
Run
  • 36m 19s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

so do we need to talk about this? my legs were rubbery. i took my sports beans at the beginning of the run and got my i-pod on some good tunes. i PASSED NO ONE! but was passed by that friend who was doing her first tri, so happy for her and so inspired to do better! high fived nora, mary and cousin christina all at different points along the route. with about a 1/4 mile to go i see a blue tri suit and white visor over my left shoulder and knew it was mary. so i said "i know you are there and if you need to pass go ahead" she said "don't let me pass you" so i kicked it up a bit then we agreed that we would cross together and if the picture turned out good we would both use it for our new BT avatar (sounds like a lot of talking but you know sisters, we didn't need all that many words to get our point across) so we both hauled a$$ to the finish line and crossed together. so cool!

i guess i need to write yet again that i need to train more for the run and more bike/run bricks. now maybe this time i will listen to myself and do it!
Post race
Warm down:

waiting for nora and brian and chatting again with the usual suspects

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my run, my stinking nemesis the RUN!

Event comments:

again with the self serve drink stations on the run! i skip them because i just don't want the added time. but other than that it was again a great race!

Last updated: 2007-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:11 | 500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: out on one side of 10 buoys and then back down the other.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:32 | 9.5 miles | 16.04 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: lots of twists and turns but good traffic control by long branch's finest
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:19 | 03 miles | 12m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: a loop on the boradwalk
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

2007-07-29 10:16 PM
in reply to: #906040

New user
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2
Awesome job! How fabulous of you and your sister, to egg each other on and finish together!!! I hope the pic does turn out well...
2007-07-30 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
WHOO WHOO!!! Nice race. You rock!

Kristen
2007-07-30 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

boo! i'm not first on the list of people to comment on your RR!

but no matter... you did amazing! haven't uploaded any pictures yet... but i will.

2007-07-30 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

here are pictures of you after the swim darn things wouldn't load...

here are our three biggest fans

Edited by marymosc13 2007-07-30 3:21 PM

(best cousins1.jpg)

(best cousins.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
best cousins1.jpg (32KB - 24 downloads)
best cousins.jpg (36KB - 23 downloads)
2007-07-30 4:16 PM

User image

Master
CT

great job carol!! remember the most important skill for triathlon is a keen sense of humor. you've got that!!

congrats to you and your sister on a great race!  

2007-07-30 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Mighty fine job girlfriend!! Very proud of you, and what a great way to finish the race coming across with your sister!! 
2007-07-30 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran

Loved reading your rr.  You had a great race!  Your swim was great, I wanna be like you and freestyle most of it!  Stop being so hard on yourself about the run.  You're a triathlete, out there finishing races, improving all the time.  There are so many out there who never even start

p.s. your girls are adorable!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed