United States
FIRM
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 48s
Overall Rank = 562/2129
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 124/384
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in a hotel in Auburn, I kept waking up because I was convinced my alarm wouldn't go off. I got up 15 minutes before it did anyway and ate a whole wheat bagel with gobs of peanut butter (my fav), a banana, and a Diet Coke. Took a shower (?) - why you ask? I'm not sure, I think it was nerves...and then drove to the race sight for 5:15 am. It was already very busy and I'm glad I left when I did!
Event warmup:

Looked for my friends, but couldn't find them anywhere. Found my husband instead (he drove up with my son for the race that morning) and hugged my little guy a lot - (I don't spend a lot of time away from him). Got into the water about 15 minutes before it started, water was beautiful and I felt good, ready to race!
Swim
  • 15m 41s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out in a bad position. I thought I would be a slow swimmer compared to a lot of people, and I started in the back on the inside. BIG mistake. I kept having to stop because the women in front of my would start treading water, or backstroking, or switch to breaststroke. It created havoc and I couldn't get a rhythm going. I edged out to the outside about 1/3 of the way into it and finally found open water!
What would you do differently?:

Start on the outside, that way can go around slower swimmers without picking through. I wasted a lot of time dodging arms and legs and almost swimming over people that suddenly stopped.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

I didn't bring flip flops and really did a number on my feet running on rocks (I have really wimpy feet).

Definately bring throw away shoes to run with to the bike
Bike
  • 48m 25s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Went a little slower than expected, but didn't plan on the hill we had to climb. Good thing I've been training on hills, because this one would have killed me if I hadn't. Got a new PR for speed on Ol' Silver (my Giant MTB). 36 mph, but it scared me so much I hit the brakes and cruised a more comfortable speed. I can't wait to get a road bike next year, but at least pushing that MTB up those hills are making my legs really strong!

Nothing, I did the best I could with what I had... and still felt comfortable.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s

Nothing, I went as fast as I could. Rack bike, helmet off, belt on, hat on, go!
Run
  • 24m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt stronger than ever, distance running is my niche and I fell right into my groove with this. I'm still recovering from a sprained ankle and was very happy I felt no pain.......

Drink more. I usually don't drink much of anything on a 5K, but I didn't figure on being dehydrated from the bike segment. I still felt thirsty this morning!
Post race
Warm down:

Found my little guy at the finish and took a victory photo with him in my arms looking at my medal...gave husband a hug and thanked him for driving all that way to see me. It meant a lot that they were there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience definately, and possibly my bike

Event comments:

My first tri was a dismal failure as I couldn't complete the run due to a sprained ankle, and no one was there to cheer me on. This tri was a complete turn around, I left feeling strong and happy with my performance, and best of all, my family was there to give me a big hug. It really does make a difference having people support you. Danskin races are very supportive anyway, and great for beginners like myself.

Last updated: 2007-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:41 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/384
Overall: 848/2129
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:25 | 12 miles | 14.87 mile/hr
Overall: 921/2129
Wind: Little
Course: 12 mile loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:57 | 03.1 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 411/2129
HR at 147 ave
Course: Out and back, smaller hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-30 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA
Subject: Danskin Webster Lake

2007-07-30 9:04 AM
in reply to: #906291

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Danskin Webster Lake
Congrats on the race with good times.  That hill on the bike course is crazy, and the downhill afterward is scarier.  Great run pace, too. 
2008-04-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: #906291

Subject: RE: Danskin Webster Lake
I'm just starting to get into this and I live right near Webster.  Would you recommend this for a beginner?   Also, is it possible to talk about the triathlons?  My email is [email protected].  Thanks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Webster Lake Rss Feed