United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 16s
Overall Rank = 44/105
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

I decided to participate in this race because it took place here in Fayetteville. We have very few races here, so I try to do them all.

I got up at 6:00 and got dressed. Then I ate breakfast - a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. I also drank a bottle of water. Then I headed downtown to the race site.
Event warmup:

I did a couple of loops around the library to warmup (about 2 miles total). Then I stretched and waited for the race to start.
Run
  • 50m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The race started off fine. But it was very humid and after about 2 miles, I started to hurt. I wanted to keep a 7:35 pace for this race. I kept that pace for a couple of miles, but then I started to slow. They had a water station on Russell St. On my first time around I grabbed a cup and drank it on the run. So I managed to drink about half of the water (it was in a styrofoam cup). But I was so hot and tired on the second time around the loop, that I decided to walk and make sure I drank all of the water in the cup. There were many times during this race that I questioned why I was having so much trouble. Did I not drink enough water? Had I slacked too much on my speed training? When I finally crossed the finish line (and cooled down enough that I no longer felt like puking) I started to look at everyone else and talk to others. We all felt the same way and looked the same. We all looked like we had been swimming instead of running - we were so soaked from the sweat. Most of us had struggled with the humidity. I was disappointed with my time, but I did still place 1st in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

I guess nothing - I can't control the heat and humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around. I also drank some water and ate a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The humidity!

Last updated: 2007-07-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:16 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 44/105
Performance: Average
Course: The course was two loops downtown. It started and ended at Festival Park. We went up to Hay Street then down Hay Street, around the Market House, then continue down Person St. Then cut over and back up Russell Street.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes