http://www.westgeorgiaflyers.org
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 14m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, drank an ensure, got some grape nuts trail mix cereal ready in a cup so I could eat it on the way to the event.. forgot said cereal, drove 66 easy miles to the start, in Heard County, Franklin, Ga.
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 6h 14m
  • 103 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Basically doing a race report on this for reference purposes as this was a first time century in West Georgia. Troup and Heard Counties. The course was amazingly beautiful. Much moreso than the Cartersville Century. The course was very well maked with unique color coded bicycle seats painted on the ground with the nose pointed in the direction you needed to go based on your chosen distance.

Sag stops were perfectly placed and well stocked. No complaints at all.

The course difficulty was what my limited experience would call a 7 out of 10. It was nothing but hills, and the climbs outnumbered the descents. The course went into Alabama for about 35 / 40 miles, and that was really neat.

I rode this at an easier pace, to try and determine my capabilities for IM Moo, and to stretch out the amount of time I was actually out there. Still, it was difficult and took it's toll on me. By the end, I needed more fluids and food than I figured I would need. Big sign that I didn't fuel right in the beginning. Finished in 6:14. Overall, this was great preparation for that race. I probably will not have a more important ride through the rest of my training.
What would you do differently?:

Eat more early.. bank some calories. Move away from the long bottle (perpetuum), and go to multiple two scoop bottles.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold shower in the HS locker room.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat.. as usual, and the conscious decision to take it a little more easy this day.

Event comments:

Very well done and HIGHLY recommended. I can only hope the race is as good in future years as it was it's inaugural year. Regardless, the course is a challenge, full of hills, heat, and amazing scenes of rural life in Georgia and Alabama.

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Biking
06:14:00 | 103 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very well marked, very hilly 78 mile loop, then an additional 27 mile loop to make for the 103 distance.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right