Winding Trails Recreation Assoc.
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 43s
Overall Rank = /126
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Actually had the day off so had more time to think about goals/plans for tonight.
1) Swim: Do not wish to get pummelled in the swim like last week. So I will try to get there early enough for a better swim warm-up. 2) Might try lining up up on the far R side although this will definitely have me swimming more distance. Otherwise will revert to first week's position - far L!! 3) Set up mtb shoes so that only rachet strap needs doing and try to have it racheted one click so do not have to faff with strap. 4) Bike: Try to get out of saddle on bike and power a little espesh on small climbs (bike time was <:30 faster last week. 5) Try to ride smart and not get stuck behind people in the first mile. 6) T2: feet go out of bike shoe straight into running shoe - no touching the ground. 7) Run: focus on how legs feel so that I do not suddenly realise that they feel good like last week. 8) Try not to let that speedy chick pass me at the end!!
Event warmup:

Managed to get in a good swim w/u. Went down to the lake 15 mins prior to the start and had it all to myself. Swam out to the first buoy and back - 200yds - then came on shore and stretched then did a few shorter efforts and picked my line up spot!
Swim
  • 07m 34s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time is to the beach - psyched :35 secs faster than 2 weeks ago. What a difference. Lined up on far, far R side and decided to go a little wider at the buoy but get clear water. Immediately I seemed to be in a clear pocket and managed to even get on some feet in the first 100 yds. Was wide at the buoy but swimming. Got some more feet and all of a sudden was at the second buoy and still in clear water. Rounded the buoy and got on more feet. This was really a great relief to get a great swim after being pummelled last week.
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than not swim training right now and that would help.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

This includes the ~:30 sec run up to T1. Heels got hung up getting into mtb shoes but otherwise good. Still need to dare to lose the socks!

Not much. Work on getting into the shoes.
Bike
  • 26m 24s
  • 5 miles
  • 11.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Concentrated hard on position going into technical. downhills and single track sections as have got held up here in past weeks. Effort was harder and not as smooth as last week. Had seen a very fast looking gal at the start and when a wicked noisy bike and rider came up behind me and passed I realised it was her. Her rear disc brake was rubbing like crazy and she had running shoes with clips/straps. I would pass her on the DH and technical and she would pass me occasionally on the flats. She was really fighting the bike the whole way but come T2 she took off like a flash and smoked the run. I love all the different abilities at each sport and how they play out during the race.

Nothing just keep training to increase bike fitness.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Ran passed my rack and turned to go back. Then they had a guy racking bikes who said he'd rack it for me. Managed to take mtb shoe off and then step straight into running shoes which was a goal. So happy with that.

Figure out where the rack is.
Run
  • 24m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Went well now that I remember to concentrate on when legs get back. The slow uphill start to the run deceives me into thinking my legs are bad but they are better over the top of that.

Not much except keep training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the lake and soaked the legs, walked around, soaked again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Totally psyched with this race. Goal is to go sub 1 hr by the end of the series. First race was 1:05 something, this one was just sub 1:01. I think it will be hard to get that next minute off but have 4 weeks so that is good motivation to train.

Goals were:
1) Swim: Do not wish to get pummelled in the swim like last week. So I will try to get there early enough for a better swim warm-up. (DID WARM-UP)
2) Might try lining up up on the far R side although this will definitely have me swimming more distance. (LINED UP R - WORKED A TREAT)
3) Set up mtb shoes so that only rachet strap needs doing (DID THIS)
4) Bike: Try to get out of saddle on bike and power a little (DID THIS TO GET GOOD POSITION INTO TECHNICAL SECTIONS.
5) Try to ride smart and not get stuck behind people in the first mile. (DID)
6) T2: feet go out of bike shoe straight into running shoe - no touching the ground. (SCORE!)
7) Run: focus on how legs feel (DID).
8) Try not to let that speedy chick pass me at the end!! (THAT SPEEDY CHICK DIDN'T BUT A FASTER SPEEDY CHICK PASSED ME in T2 and then ran 20:and change for 3 miles!!)

Event comments:

If after a race you say "Next time I need to try this" then this race series is the place to try stuff each week in a low key setting to see how it works and get instant feedback. Field size varies between 100-125 each week. Everyone starts together on the swim (no waves).

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:34 | 440 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/126
Performance: Good
163 bpm.
Suit:
Course: 100 yds out, L turn, parallel shore for 200 yds, L turn
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:26:24 | 05 miles | 11.36 mile/hr
161 bpm
Wind:
Course: Winding and undulating trails thru wood.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:37 | 03 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
mile 1: 8:35 / 169 bpm mile 2: 8:10 / 166 mile 3: 7:52 /
Course: Wooded trails, some gradual uphills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes