General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Girl Dilema... What to wear??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-30 8:41 PM

Subject: The Girl Dilema... What to wear???
Isn't this every woman's dilema everyday???
But seriously, I am doing my first sprint in October and I don't know what to wear. I feel like I need to figure it out now so I can start training in whatever I plan on wearing.
The race is in Florida so there is no need for a wetsuit for the swim. I would love any tips or input on what to wear. Also gear reviews would be great on things you have tried!

2007-07-30 8:51 PM
in reply to: #907536

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: The Girl Dilema... What to wear???

Have a good one piece swimsuit?  Wear that and slip on bike shorts after the swim, then run the rest of the race in that, or add a tank top before the run if you like.  Don't bother changing shorts.  I lost time doing that in my first few tri's.

If you need more, ahem, support...just add a sports bra under the swimsuit.

For less hassle and really fast transitions, you could just get a really close fitting tri top and tri shorts combo and wear that the whole race thru.

Hope that helps, -Sunny 

2007-07-30 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
I've worn trishorts and a tank in past races, but I REALLY want to try one of those TRIKS bike/tri skirts. I always run in a running skirt, so I think a tri-skirt would be just the right thing! Has anyone worn one of these in a race? I figure I could just stuff the skirt part into my wetsuit (it's pretty small).
2007-07-30 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

I think tri shorts are the way to go.  It's hard to pull anything on when your skin is still wet from the swim, especially when you add sweat and humidity.  Tri shorts dry fast and have a thin chamois to make the bike more comfortable.

What you wear on top does depend on the support issue.  These days I wear 2 tri tops - the BT one for style and a one-size-too-small Speedo tri top underneath for support.  But any quick-drying tank, sports bra, bathing suit, whatever - as long as it will dry after the swim and has enough support for the run.

If you use the porta-potty to pee (as many of us do, despite the tales of glory on the "peeing" thread), then you want to make sure you can perform the necessary manoevers in your ensemble.

2007-07-30 9:19 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
because all of my races have been in cold mtn waters, I always wore the wet suit over tri shorts and bra and then pull on a top.    my race on sat will be in warm water, so no wetsuit.  I considered just going bra and trishorts, but my bras are so utilitarian looking, and my belly has never seen daylight and isn;t to toned...., so i thought the trauma to my compeditors caused by having to look at me like that while waiting for start would consitute an unfair advantage for me.....  So, I bought a snug drifit tank....   I will have no changing issues - just put the shoes and helmut on and bike.
2007-07-30 9:27 PM

New user
Victoria's Secret sports bras are amazing. I wear that under my tri top and then I wear tri shorts.

I have worn wetsuits for all three of my triathlons and simply wore my bra, tri top and shorts underneath. I peeled the wetsuit, added shoes and helmet and was off on my bike.

Good luck!

2007-07-30 9:27 PM
in reply to: #907544

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
ccessex - 2007-07-30 9:56 PM

I've worn trishorts and a tank in past races, but I REALLY want to try one of those TRIKS bike/tri skirts. I always run in a running skirt, so I think a tri-skirt would be just the right thing! Has anyone worn one of these in a race? I figure I could just stuff the skirt part into my wetsuit (it's pretty small).

I've been practicing with mine with the idea of pulling on the skirt bit after the swim (or bike). What I have found is that the waistband rides up when I run and I look like I am wearing a tu-tu! So, now I am going to doctor it with velcro and try again before I try it out in a race.

Meanwhile I just love my tri shorts and tri top (built in bra) for sprint races
2007-07-30 10:09 PM
in reply to: #907573

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
That is so funny - my race belt also migrates north. Hmmm, what are you going to do with that velcro? Did you buy your skirt online? I think TRIX also has a one piece bike skirt - maybe that will keep everything where it should be?
2007-07-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: #907572

lshum00 - 2007-07-30 7:27 PM

Victoria's Secret sports bras are amazing.

AMEN! After I ran for the first time in mine I went back and bought 3 more. They are the only bra I've ever had where nothing moves.

End of hijack

2007-07-30 10:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
I just did my first sprint tri and I went with Zoot tri shorts and a Hind sports bra that was mesh in the back. I did the whole race in it and it was hot and humid and I stayed pretty comfortable. I went with a 2-piece option instead of a tri-suit or bathing suit because I tend to get an overactive bladder before races and end up having to go to the bathroom multiple times.
2007-07-31 12:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I wear the top of the Tyr two-piece swim suit and De Soto bike shorts on the bottom.
Don't bother changing, you don't have the time.
But do of course try out your outfit before race day!

2007-07-31 5:54 AM

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
If you are not wearing a wetsuit, wear as little as you are comfortable with because I have found that my tri short and waist length tops create allot of drag in the water so now when I'm not wearing a wetsuit I just go with a swimsuit (and spectators can just deal with the cellulite hanging out)

Chris
2007-07-31 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I do the tri shorts/sports bra combo.  Nothing to put on in T1 except shoes and helmet.

My girlfriend does one piece swimsuit and pulls on running shorts in T1.

Both seem to work well for us.

2007-07-31 7:53 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
I just got a tri suit and love it. Everything stays where it should. If I had a bigger chest I'd have to wear a jog bra under it, I think. I have a post-baby donut-induced belly that I can no longer blame on the 14-month old. The one piece, while it doesn't disguise it, really, does at least keep it under wraps. It's comfortable - I have a Danskin one & it has a mesh back, plus a pocket.

One thing I really like is that there's no waistband to migrate. If you feel the need for a tank top or sleeves while running, just get a very gauzy one to put over it - doesn't add weight or heat - but if you are self conscious about bouncing jugs or anything, it's one way to go about it.

It also stayed put when I peeled my wetsuit off - one less thing to fiddle with - and the transition was pretty quick. I did forget to double check my zipper and had a little extra ventilation on the run for a bit - but it stayed put once I yanked it up once. I think when I pulled off my wetsuit it came down.

I have pretty limited experience....but what to wear was something I was wondering and this thing seems to have cured it. I think if I had to do a v. long bike the chamois would not be enough - it's barely more than a piece of fat fleece, but it is good enough for a sprint.

2007-07-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: #907622

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
ccessex - 2007-07-30 11:09 PM

That is so funny - my race belt also migrates north. Hmmm, what are you going to do with that velcro? Did you buy your skirt online? I think TRIX also has a one piece bike skirt - maybe that will keep everything where it should be?

I got all my Triks stuff online. I love my running skirt - so comfortable and makes me feel girlie (that's saying something for a tomboy!) I wanted to get the race stuff too so I have the 3 pieces in the tri range. Some friends tried velcro - just putting pieces on shorts and then on skirt and say it works.

However, to the original poster, as a first tri I had no special gear and little money to spend. So I swam in my swimsuit (OK it was a pool swim but it wouldn't have made a difference) and then just pulled on some aerobic leggings in transition. I was fine. Find out if you like the sport first before getting all the special gear
2007-07-31 8:11 AM
in reply to: #907822

Champion
South Jersey
Wear a one-piece or two-piece trisuit, or a regular bathing suit (but don't put on cycling shorts in T1 if you wear the regular swimsuit...just wear it for the bike and run too). Good luck! Make sure you pick out a cute tri suit!!

2007-07-31 8:12 AM

User image

New user
I'm a fan of the two piece option due to porta potty use before and occasionally during a race. Pulling wet stuff on or off is very difficult. Also, I did my first sprint race in a drifit running bra and tri shorts. My neck chaffed terribly from the bra during the swim. I switched to a TYR bikini Tri top and no problems after that. This year I bought a DSS tri top that covers my belly and I like it ok, although I do think it's warmer than the bikini. I vote for tri specific shorts too. The little bit of chamois does help, and you do NOT want to swim in regular bike shorts unless you like running and riding in a diaper. Yuck.

Whatever you choose, wear it at least a couple of times before your race so you know whether it's going to work for you.
2007-07-31 8:28 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I have done the one-piece tri-suit, tri-tank and shorts and sports bra and tri shorts. The one-piece is great if it's not so hot. Didn't like the tri-tank option because of the drag in the water and then I felt like it was sticking to me during the run. I braved the sports bra, tri shorts in my last race which was an oly and it was hotter than Hades. This was my favorite. No drag, could poor water over my head and feel it against my skin. Didn't have to worry about unzipping to cool off. I'm a fair-skinned mom of two. Decided comfort rules. It's a race, not a fashion show! Do what feels comfortable to you.

Pam
2007-07-31 9:05 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well I'm pretty sure I've tried it all....much of it depends on what you are comfortable with wearing. If you don't have issues with showing your mid section or a lot of sun exposure I would wear a pair of tri shorts and a sports bra. You will stay nice and cool no need to change during transitions and they will work great for training as well......training in a swimsuit is not ideal. If you don't want the sports bra look then I would go for a long tri top.....there are many - some with built in bras some without - mid length to a more longer style. The 2XU tri tops are very thin and light - if you are worried about a lot of material on you - but I have raced in all of them and they all work well. I wouldn't worry about drag........unless you are a really fast (I mean really fast) swimmer you are not going to lose much time with drag....these tri shirts and shorts are made specfically knowing that you are going to swim in them. If you need any help with particular brands let me know I can tell you some of the differences.

2007-07-31 9:18 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I'm a big fan of the Tri shorts and Tri top. Tri shorts are pretty much all the same, with the exception of "low rise" and shorter varieties. Tops, however, come in all different styles, colors, etc. I raced in this one for my Sprints this year - it is longer than the other brands I've had so it actually covered my midsection.

It has a CUTE back!

But I did notice the drag on the swim, and was really hot on the runs. So I just ordered the bra top version in another color:

I don't work for them or anything, but I love the DeSoto brand.
There are tons of other brands, go to a place like www.trisports.com to see a wide variety.

2007-07-31 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
For my first two races, I didn't have a tri top yet, so I wore a quick drying Under Armour sports bra and my one piece Speedo with tri shorts over it for the whole race. Not ideal, but it was ok for Sprint distance races... I didn't have any chafing problems. I would have gone with the sports bra and tri shorts combo, but I'm still not comfortable showing off my stomach, and although I am small, I have a big enough chest that without double padding up there I would have been bouncing all over the place.

Now I always race in a sports bra + tight tri top and tri shorts. It's comfy, you can pee easily if you need to stop, and then you have double support up top. I would also second the DeSoto brand tri clothes, especially the tri shorts. They are the best I've tried by far.

In my experience pretty much everybody at a race will be wearing tri shorts, but tops vary a lot. If you are unsure of what to wear, go watch a race, and see what others are wearing. That's what I did and it helped a lot!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Girl Dilema... What to wear??? Rss Feed