General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Knee Injury Question? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-24 8:52 PM

New user

Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: Possible Knee Injury Question?
My big concern at the moment is the outside of my left knee hurts pretty bad after I finish running. The pain feels much like a stone bruise and only lasts for about 45 minutes. I ice it and that seems to make it feel better. Any idea what this may be? It did not effect my Bike today, I was able to go non-stop for 2 hours+ with no pain.

Les Hardin

2004-01-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4831

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Subject: RE: Possible Knee Injury Question?
Les,
I am no expert - big disclaimer! I have suffered with a "stabbing" style pain on the outside of my left knee after running (sometimes during, if the distance is long enough). What I suffer with is refered to as ITBS (Ilio-tibial band syndrome). The IT band is this large mass of tendon tissue that runs from the hip to the knee on the lateral leg surface (the outer thigh). In my case, my hamstrings are weak. I have been doing some resistance training, focusing on balancing my hamstrings and my quads and improving my overall strength. There are also some stretches that can be done to alleviate the pain, but describing them is nothing like seeing them. The following website was helpful for me, once I had a clear diagnosis on my particular pain. Runner's knee is another possibility, but the pain apparently enters from the front of the knee and indicates a weakness in the quads. I have, to date, had no experience with runner's knee, hope I never do !
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sportframe.html
Hope this helps. Any time you experience pain STOP what you are doing. Pain is not to worked through, it is a message. If you ignore the detour signs on the highway, you end up in trouble - same goes for the pain signs!!
Train smart,
Vanessa
2004-01-26 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4849

New user

Jackson, Mississippi
Vanessa,

You should be an expert you would make a lot of money. I followed the link you provided and stretched as illustrated and did not have the first twinge. I ran 5.1 miles in slightly over an hour with no soreness or pain, that's pretty miraculous considering I haven't ran over 5 miles in 20 years.

Thanks for the advice,

Les Hardin
2004-01-27 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4831

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I just experienced pretty much the same pain for the first time ever. I have been running for quite some time and played sports of some kind pretty regularly, however I was running Sunday night at a pretty easy pace and after 40 min I had this pain start to build in the outside of my left knee. It didn't go up my thigh or anything just an eventual cramping it seemed in the back of my knee.

I iced and elevated it for 20 min's or so that evening and woke up yesterday still with a lingering feeling in my knee. About noon yesterday the pain and feeling were gone and I have had no pain since. I am just worried about running again tonight. I may not and give it another day and start slow. I have a 1/2 marathon to do in May, I don't need a knee injury in January.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Les, it is encouraging that you were able to bike with no pain. I hope I am as fortunate.

Today I swim!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Knee Injury Question? Rss Feed