Bend Bike 'N Sport
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 26s
Overall Rank = 40/377
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/31
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Bend on Saturday (6 hour trip) and picked up my race packet. Cool little bike shop that actually had quite a bit of tri gear (haven't found anything like that local yet). I had to replace my shoe cleats so I took a short loop around town to make sure I wasn't going to have any problems the next day. It has been a while since I have been to Bend so it was nice to see some familiar areas (even though so much of it has changed). Went to see the Bend Elks play baseball and then back to the hotel to get some sleep. Woke up before the alarm and ate half a bagel and a banana. I had thought about riding to the race start, but realized I had too much gear to carry and drove. I guess it is good that I drove because I missed my turn and was running later than I would like. Called my sister who was coming to watch the race but could only leave a message since she was camping and did not have any reception.

I set up my transition area which was very crowded and then headed over to the shuttle which was to take us to the swim start up river.
Event warmup:

Headed into the river about 15 minutes before my start to get used to the cold and prepare for the swim. I am getting much more comfortable in open water which is very encouraging.
Swim
  • 17m 56s
  • 1300 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not great, but not bad. I still have room for improvement here and was in the top third on the swim. I managed to get out of the trench of clear water and had to drag myself through the plant life for a while(strange because it was more towards the middle of the river). I am freestyling more every race and my breathing was good, but I seem to like the extra rest and breath at the end of the 25yard pool because can't put the distance together at one shot.
What would you do differently?:

Improve stroke and increase distance
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Wow, this took a long time...didn't feel like I was in transition this long. Looks like this is about the average for my age group at least.

didn't have much time to think about it...I was a bit winded after the swim which is pretty normal and my mind was pretty clear. Get faster, but I don't remember any specific problems besides fighting with a gel pack.
Bike
  • 37m 54s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Still my best element...going out felt slow, but this is the first race that I have had to climb the entire first half. I passed a lot of people and did not get passed at all (still just means I need to swim faster). The ride back in from the turn around was a blast and very fast. I love being on the bike!!! We were all going down hill, but I felt like I was passing people who were standing still. I ran through two piles of glass, but got lucky...some other folks were not so lucky as there were a few flats on the course and others later in transition that suffered the same fate. I nearly took a wrong turn coming back in because I couldn't tell what the patrolman was signaling to whom. Everything in Bend is turnabouts or whatever you call all the circle routes on the road and it was a tad confusing, had to slow down more than I would have liked to.

Ride more...I am quick, but others are much faster. I felt the climb in my legs the entire run
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Saw my sister here and that provided a quick boost(until I actually started running)

Once again, I don't remember much of it
Run
  • 24m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Heat and hills on bike seemed to get to me...felt very slow and couldn't talk the legs into working harder. Mental effort seems to really drop by the time I am on the run in my past few races. I have found a different reason why I haven't performed here in each of my last runs...I think a lot of it comes down to mental toughness.

Train more and get mental aspect in-check
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water and some gatorade and then found some shade.

Event comments:

Viewer friendly and pretty decent course, but it would be nice if this was more downtown through Drake Park instead. The dirt path and trails on the run were very narrow in spots. The event was well put together and there was plenty of food at the end. I was really hoping they would give out medals similar to last years race which were cowbells, but instead we received a water bottle with the event on it as a finishers medal. The event was also susposed to have beer at the finish and did not. Great volunteers and very well organized especially since they had to make a lot of course changes from prior years (this is the first that I have done, but it is also the first year they have done an OLY and I believe the race normally finishes in the concert area)

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:56 | 1300 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/31
Overall: 105/377
Performance: Good
Suit: full body
Course: point to point down river
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:54 | 12.5 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 21/377
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: out and back with climb for the first half and downgrade for the return
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 79/377
Performance: Below average
Course: Path and dirt trail
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-31 10:23 AM

User image

Silverdale, WA
Subject: Deschutes Dash

2007-08-02 12:24 PM
in reply to: #908051

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Deschutes Dash

It looks like you had a solid overall finish and a great age group finish. Nice work! I agree with you that they should move the finish to Drake Park somehow next year. If you do the race again next year are you going to do the Oly? The hills become brutal for the extra few miles out past the sprint turnaround, but at least you get some rest on the way back down. Thanks for the comments, good luck with the rest of your races!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deschutes Dash Rss Feed