General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble staying hydrated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-31 10:52 AM

Subject: Trouble staying hydrated
Hello all!

After a several month hiatus from tri training, I am back! My problem is that I can't seem to stay hydrated! I wake up in the morning and even my eyes are dry! I have a water bottle with me throughout the day and refill it 2-3 times, but I always feel like I'm on the edge of slight dehydration! Right now I only drink water. Should I get drinks like Gatorade? I'm not working out super hard because the earliest tri I'll be able to do is in Feb. (Indoors!) I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I used to drink alot of milk, but have cut back a little bit. I know my nutrition isn't perfect at the moment, and I'm working on it now, but I've eaten much worse and not felt this dry, for lack of a better word! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rachel

2007-07-31 11:38 AM
in reply to: #908105

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Trouble staying hydrated

A few questions:

1) how many ounces is the water bottle that you are filling "2-3 times?"

2) are you also drinking during your workouts, and then again after your workouts?

Simply stated, it sounds like you do need to consume more fluids throughout the day.  You don't necessarily need a sports drink like Gatorade, although it is sometimes perferable during workouts because it provides electrlyte replacement, calories, carbs, etc. (things that water alone cannot).

2007-07-31 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

I try and drink at least 2 liters of water per day (I fill a 3L ZephyrHills bottle to track consumption), not including what I take along for a workout.  I looked at your logs to see what you're doing, but you don't have anything in there.

I train an average of 6 +/- hours a week in typcially 80 degree/70% humidity.  And I feel dehydrated with the amount of water I drink.  I've switched to taking 16 - 20 oz of Advocare's Re-Hydrate, or sometimes NUUN, on the run and bike to up the electrolytes.  Otherwise, my lips start to sting.

Is the A/C on high or are you running a dehumidifyer?  Maybe you're indoor environment is contributing somewhat to the dry eye feeling.

2007-07-31 1:25 PM

Champion
South Jersey

The water bottle I fill three times a day is 32 oz...and that's only during the work day. That doesn't include what I drink in the morning and evenings at home, during my training, during the commute to and from work, etc. I am basically always drinking...but not drinking too much by any means.

You honestly probably need to drink more water, and that's it. A few days of really good hydration will have you feeling better and it'll become habit. Good luck!

Oh, and I do wake up feeling a little dry in the mornings too...8 hours of no fluids is a lot .

2007-07-31 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

I second the A/C question. We had ours on higher than usual the other night and I woke up feeling like my eyes were stuck together.

And, if you feel dehydrated, you probably are. When I get that way, I make myself drink more, even if I'm not in the mood for water. 

2007-07-31 10:44 PM

The dry eye thing might be partially from the AC for me. Didn't really think about it! My roommates like it alot cooler than I do. They prefer just at 75, and I'd like it closer to 80 with fans moving the air. It makes me sick if I have to go in and out several times and have to go between 75 in low humidity to 90ish in mid humidity. The bad thing is that if the humidity lets up, temp goes up higher!

I bought some Gatorade today and nearly gagged from the sweetness, but I filled my new 20oz running bottle half way and then filled it the rest of the way with water. It was still too sweet, but I feel better. I didn't really take into account how much I've been sweating the last few days! I use to do most of my workouts inside, but my Rec's ac is broken so I've been running outside, and even though it isn't very hot, 80-85, it is really humid and add into the fact that I have nearly no endurance at running, it all adds up! I did 20 minutes of cardio 2 days ago in my unairconditioned gym before I gave up. It looked like I'd gone swimming! I feel much better now, and my lips are finally not chapped anymore!

For the amount of water I was drinking before, the bottle is 700ml, so just under 24 ounces. If I didn't work out I'd drink 2 bottles, if I did, I'd usually drink 3-3.5. I usually have cereal with about 1.5 cups of milk in the morning. I used to drink more milk, so maybe I wasn't taking up the slack from the cut out milk either.

Thanks!

Rachel

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble staying hydrated Rss Feed