Triathlon Nova Scotia
25C / 77F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 25m 46s
Overall Rank = 6/37
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

A couple of short workouts the day before and then mainly just relaxing. Had to pick Victoria up from work at 11 so I didn't get to sleep until around midnight. It wouldn't have mattered, I tried to nap a little earlier but it was so hot that it was all but impossible to sleep anyway. Up at 5, quick breakfast and then on the road. Arrived at the race around 7, registered, setup transition and got ready to warm up.
Event warmup:

Even at 7:30 it was hot - during my 2k run warmup, I thought I was going to die - lots of heat and humidity and it seemed like it was going to be very uncomfortable. After the run, I headed out on the bike for around 7k, mainly just to climb some of the hills coming out of transition. Came back, got my bike ready to go and had a gel. Then it was the brief race briefing, into the wetsuit and into the water for about a 10' warmup.
Swim
  • 25m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started very well and was able to stick solidly with the second group. I was swimming steady but not too hard and felt really strong throughout. After rounding the buoy to start the second lap, I settled back on the feet of the swimmer I was following but they started to slow down. I pulled around and worked to grab the feet of the group I started with and was able to catch back on for the last leg of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Solid T1 - run up the beach to the boardwalk, from the boardwalk to the parking lot and then out to the mount line. Lots of running and very little wasted time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 13m 38s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.59 km/hr
Comments:

Immediately coming out of transition there is steady uphill; I was overtaking another rider and stood up while passing. The instant I stood I had a cramp in my right hamstring and thought this was going to be a bad sign for the rest of the ride. After getting by, I settled into the aerobars and focused on working the cramp out. I was quickly passed by the rider I had passed and one more before being able to get the cramp worked out. About 4 minutes into the ride, the skies opened up and we had rain for most of the rest of the race. It would taper off from time to time, but very wet overall. I rode well to the turnaround, I was about ten minutes behind the leader and only a few riders ahead. I was passed by another rider at this point but shortly thereafter caught a couple more riders in front. On the return, I didn't work as hard (more downhill and lots of turns with the wet weather so I wasn't hammering). I didn't catch any more riders but kept the last rider to pass me close enough to pick off on the run.

Despite the weather, I could have raced faster on the second half of the bike - I was conservative in a few spots that required it but could have put forth a better effort in a few other spots.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Solid T2 - Andrew told me I was in 5th or 6th at this point so my goal was to get out and run down as many people as I could.

Nothing
Run
  • 43m 33s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I felt really strong coming out of transition and was able to set a solid pace until the big uphill. The climb is probably 1k or so and I just wasn't feeling it going up. Also, with the TAT, sprinters and OD athletes all on the same course, I had no idea who was in front of me until I went past the sprint turnaround. Going out I was my target pace but still putting time into the one OD athlete I could see. At the turnaround I uppsed the effort a little and I was only about 20" behind and steadily closed the gap. I passed him with about 3km to go but was unable to run down anyone else. The last half of the race felt really good and my time was only 10" slower than my best 5k time in a sprint so I think I could have paced this much better.

Pace the run a little better - more even split would lead to a better time I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I held back during this race due to the weather and next weeks race. I didn't want to bury myself at any point and was able to race well but not all out so hopefully another solid race next week.

Last updated: 2007-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 9/37
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: 2 clockwise loops of a triangular course - salt water.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:38 | 40 kms | 32.59 km/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 9/37
Performance: Average
Out - 37:37 HR 166 Back - 36:01 HR 157
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back over a rolling course.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:33 | 10 kms | 04m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 4/37
Performance: Average
Out - 22:39 HR 166 Back - 20:54 HR 171
Course: Out and back with some significant climbs going out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes