General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pain along side of shin from cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-01 7:46 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: pain along side of shin from cycling

I started back riding and picked up the pace probably a little too quickly. 

Now I have a pain along the outside of my right leg, along and behind the shin, maybe 4" down from the knee.  If I force myself to pronate my ankle, the muscle flexes and hurts.

Since this is only on one side, I'm thinking that it is realted somehow to bike fit or cleat angle.  Short of a full fitting or consulting a bio-mech expert, any thoughts what this points to?

2007-08-02 7:04 AM
in reply to: #910436

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: pain along side of shin from cycling

Could be a fit problem... could also just be a weaker muscle so the first one that responds to the excessively-fast increase in volume. 

Stretch it.  Kneel with your feet under your butt, so that your butt pushes on your heel and flattesn the top of your foot on the floor.  Lean backwards if necessary to get the stretch.

Alternatively, if you are flexible enough... sit with your leg straight out and grab your toes (one leg at a time for me).  Grab your toes with your thumb under your foot and your fingers across the top, and rotate your foot inwards by pulling with your thumb and pushing with your fingers (hope that makes sense).

This is a problem muscle for me, and these two stretches, along with "toe risers" (stand on heels and lift toes off floor as high as possible) to strengthen, have made all the difference.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pain along side of shin from cycling Rss Feed