General Discussion Race Reports! » Possum Creek Metropark 5K Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Possum Creek Metropark 5K Trail Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miamisburg, Ohio
United States
ORRRC
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 83/172
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Leave work later than I wanted to start driving to the race, get to the road I need to turn on.... and there is a back up because of.... I don't know why other than the fates are aligned against me.

Since I have no flipping clue HOW to get to this park other than the way I checked out previously.... I try to detour and get completely flustered. Call my wife asking her how to get there.... she asked if I have a map... I don't. She tells me to look for .... this road but I am no where NEAR THAT ROAD!!!! ARGGGGG (Are we beginning to see a pattern to these Wednesday night races.) I sure am.

I call a co-worker who happens to know the area better than I do, then FINALLY see a sign for the park. Pull into the park 10 minutes AFTER I wanted to but 5 minutes prior to the race starting.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. Jog/walk to the sign up area and get signed in. Pin on my race number and head to the start line.
Run
  • 27m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I started back toward the back and then had to weave my way through a huge number of slower runners. I had not meant to start off quite so fast, but it was slower than a couple of my last starts.

I didn't think it was that hilly, according to my Garmin it was only 200 feet of climbing. Chances are it was slightly more... but I don't know how much.

Once we got by the first mile I just fell into a pace and stuck with it. Nothing really remarkable about this race. Faster than my last trail run, but that race I was trying to help Trigirl10 beat 30 minutes. This one she didn't run.

I was feeling the effects of last nights run, legs just didn't feel as fresh as I would have liked, but I did the race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start out a little slower, but it was hard to tell I was going that fast. Traffic on all these trail runs tends to be the same... the first 1/4 - 1/2 mile is VERY heavy, lots of bodies on the path and not much room. Then it thins out and gets a little easier.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a drink, got my head soaked. Walked around and talked a few minutes then headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough on the trails.

Event comments:

Not much going on after this race. Just people standing around talking. Plenty of drinks, not too many snacks.

Last updated: 2007-07-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:38 | 03.11 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 83/172
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 8:08 - Avg HR 135 Max 184 Mile 2 - 9:21 - Avg HR 142 Max 147 Mile 3 - 9:26 - Avg HR 145 max 151 Last .1 - :43 - Avg HR 148 Max 152
Course: Over the trails of Possum Creek metro Park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-02 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Possum Creek Metropark 5K Trail Run

2007-08-03 12:06 AM
in reply to: #911079

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Possum Creek Metropark 5K Trail Run

Nothing like getting there ready to start.  I am sure your HR was up anyway just trying to get there.  I agree with you 40-44 seems like a very tough age group!!!  At least at the tri's out here.

Trail running always seems slower to me.  Keep up the progress and kick some tail in your other races this month. 

2007-08-04 6:02 AM
in reply to: #911079

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Possum Creek Metropark 5K Trail Run

You are not going to know what to do with yourself if you get to one of these evening races more than 5 minutes before the start. 

Nice job on getting a midweek race in.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Possum Creek Metropark 5K Trail Run Rss Feed