General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ocean swimming tips? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-02 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: ocean swimming tips?
I've got an HIM coming up in 5.5 weeks (Big Kahuna in Santa Cruz, Cowell's Beach) and am concerned about that whole swimming in the ocean with waves rolling over me thing. Not sure what the swells are normally like, but I was out there late August last year - at the very same beach - learning to surf. If the waves are big enough for beginner surfers, how am I supposed to swim through without drowning?

Let us also note: I sucked at surfing. I only caught one wave then got whacked hard on the nose by the board (tossed at me by a wave!) and bled like crazy!

Help?? Also, anyone know about the currents? How strong?

(Oh, I do plan on a "kelp crawl" in Pac Grove, and an attempt at swimming in SC before the race)

2007-08-02 9:54 PM
in reply to: #911946

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: ocean swimming tips?
If there are swells, go under them. Once you're past them it's not a big deal. I prefer swimming in salt water, the added buoyancy is great.
2007-08-02 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I've done a couple of these in the Atlantic Ocean.

There's 3 general types.  1st is going against the current/into the waves, 2nd is when you're out past the breakers, and 3rd is coming back in with the waves.  Regardless of which type you're in, make sure to put your swim cap over top of your goggle straps.  Having a wave break on you can (and has) rip of goggles.  Having a cap over top will at least save them from drifting away.

When you're swimming out, you're going to have to know how often the waves are breaking and time you swimming with the breaking waves.  You want to be under water when the wave is crashing down on you to avoid getting swept backwards and having to work twice as hard.  The bigger the wave and break that is going to crash on you, the deeper you go underwater.  Sight more frequently to avoid getting trashed.  If you do take a wave and get tumbled, don't panic, hold your breath a tad bit longer.  Once you "feel" the rhythm and the angle of your body in the water, you'll know when something is coming without even looking, but until you get used to it make sure you are keeping an eye on everything coming at you.  Getting swept backwards sucks and only doubles the energy cost it takes to get out past the breakers.

2nd area - once you're past the breaking waves, you've got a chance to regain composure and get into a nice normal rhythm.  Cruise along and get comfy.  Depending on the the wind and tides, you might have to breathe more frequently to one side than the other.  Once you're past the breaking waves though, life gets much much easier.

3rd area - coming back in with the current...Sighting is much more interesting because you have to keep an eye out on where you are going to make sure you are going straight as well as look behind you for approaching breakers.  My only real suggestion is to practice "body surfing" and riding waves in.  If you can time it right and not get flipped around, you can ride a wave for a SIGNIFICANT amount of time and distance.  Stay rigid like a surf board and ride it in.  If the wave has already broken and it sending a bunch of turbulance toward you, you can either ride it out, or start the underwater swimming again.  If you go deep, you'll lose out on some of the momentum the wave is going to give you.  If the waves are huge and its going to flip you, your best bet is to dive underwater and let it pass you by though.  When you're coming back in, if you tuck your chin against your chest, you'll get a great look at what's coming up behind you.

And remember - there's always going to be a time where you get trashed by the wave.  When it happens, stay relaxed, get your bearings, and pick back up ASAP.  I've been flipped around so bad that its ripped my goggles right off my face.  The best thing you can do is to stay as relaxed as you can and keep moving forward.

2007-08-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: #911958

User image

Regular
Manassas, VA

I would also suggest getting to the sight early enough to just sit on the beach and watch the surf.  If there's any swell at all (and there usually is at least something), then the waves will come in sets. 

Watch them.  How many waves in a set, 3? 4?  How long between sets?  You should get a feel for how long it is between sets where you have a window of opportunity for some smoother swimming. 

Also, watch the current.  Look for any floating objects or swimmers and see what they're doing.  There's usually at least a small amount of current running along a beach.  This will drive you nuts when sighting.

When/if you do get tumbled, don't try to swim up.  Your just as likely to swim down as up.  Just relax.  You'll be wearing a wetsuit in Santa Cruz, so let it float you.

Enjoy. 

2007-08-03 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

I'm glad you've asked this question, because I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks (North Myrtle Beach, SC) and would like to do a few OWS.  I've never really swam in the ocean before (I couldn't swim at all and would only wade) but now I've learned how to and am much stronger and more confident.  My question is:  How far past the breakers should I go?  I'm worried about riptides and things of that nature.  Will I know if I get caught in one, and if so, which way to swim? I've heard diagonally, but just want to check with our local experts....  I won't be wearing a wetsuit so I won't have that security.

Thanks for bringing this topic up!

2007-08-03 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome!

Bostic - thanks for all the great advice! I definently plan on getting tossed around good and hard at least 3x.

2007-08-03 6:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-03 9:21 PM

See this lame site its very basic.

http://www.geocities.com/lapswimr/oceanswimming101.html

The drownproofing tip is highly recommended, its very easy to do and will add confidence if you get in a rip tide. Sighting is important, theres no pool bottom to look at to keep you on track. You cant see much in the water. All in all its in the experience and to get that you have to swim in the ocean. The more you do the better you will get.

2011-05-04 2:17 AM

Whether you are caught in a rip current or held under a big wave, the best thing you can do is actually the opposite of what you'd normally do - relax and breathe. If you start panicking, you will breathe faster & try to move quickly, using up the little bit of oxygen you have and preventing that oxygen from going to your brain. Then it will be harder to make decisions like when to paddle out of the rip current or how to safely get to the surface.

Surf Trips

2011-05-04 6:47 AM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

best to just power through whatever hits you. it's just a mental battle, so just prepare yourself for rock n roll.

if you happen to see a wave coming at you, then duck dive it, will save a few strokes. otherwise, just swim over it.

usually the problem is getting a mouth full of sea water....that's a challenge to avoid, but I try to keep my mouth opening small, so if it's a bad breath attempt, I can close up fast.

2011-05-16 9:28 AM

Master
Thread from the dead...(2007)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ocean swimming tips? Rss Feed