Pickle
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 23s
Overall Rank = 71/238
Age Group = 30-40
Age Group Rank = 24/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had bagel, banana, juice, and coffee. Left for event in time to do day-of registration.

Given precip overnight, checked weather. Lots of storms just to the west. Figured there was a good chance this one would be delayed.
Event warmup:

Got all my gear in place, finished banana, went for 5-min jog. Stretched my IT Band (I've had problems with it this summer).
Swim
  • 09m 44s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st time I've done an OWS without a wetsuit. It went fine -- good for the confidence to know I don't need the suit. A little disappointed that my 1/4 mile time wouldn't have been much faster than my 1/2 mile time, but no biggie. I'm not a competitive swimmer.
What would you do differently?:

Good race overall
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Much faster T1 without a wetsuit, obviously. Fueled myself for a few seconds which I think was a good time investment.
Bike
  • 46m 18s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Nasty bike course, but I'm very happy with it. It rained the entire time, at times light and at times heavy. Unless you were suicidal, there was no making up major time on the downhills... the course was real slick and visibility wasn't always good.

I finished in the top 30% of all finishers on the bike, averaging only 18.4 mph. That tells you that the field wasn't able to go nearly as fast as they wanted to, but still I felt I had a good ride considering the conditions.

My goal is to not get passed by any bikes that cost under $1,500 new, and I think I accomplished that :)

Nothing - my bike is really coming along. On a dry course, I'm guessing I would have been in the mid 19's.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Again, I took a few seconds to refuel, which I think helped me alot on the run. Socks and shoes were SOAKED... made a gametime decision to run barefoot... 1st time ever.

Practiced running barefoot for situations like this. Had my running shoes in a drier spot during my ride.
Run
  • 27m 15s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a great time to experiment running without socks for the very 1st time, but it went OK. I have small blisters on both arches, but they don't look too serious.

Cadence was good. I felt like I had something in the tank. BRicks have been paying off.

Would have been nice to get into the 7's, but I'm happy with 8:01's.

Practice running barefoot.
Post race
Warm down:

warm down? wife's at home with both kids wondering where I am.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, wet gear.

Event comments:

I'm happy that I was forced to do 3 things I haven't done before: 1) An OWS without a wetsuit, albeit short, 2) Doing a bike race in the rain, 3) Running barefoot.

I finished in the top 1/2 of my AG!! Happy with that, although I realize that this late in the season alot of the elites are off doing their HIMs and IMs. Still, I'm happy to be ahead of midpack. Nice rebound from Manitou where I was really disappointed with my times.

This is a very nice course. I'd love to do it again without the rain. Actually would go back to this park for one of my long runs some weekend.

Thanks to the volunteers, who got as wet as we did!!! They did a great job. The warm hotdogs at the end where a nice touch when we were all cold and wet!!!

Last updated: 2007-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:44 | 440 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 105/238
Performance: Average
Suit: Not allowed
Course: Out and back in murky water.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:18 | 14.2 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Overall: 70/238
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Lots of rollers at first, then combo of flats and larger hills
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:27:15 | 03.4 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 85/238
Performance:
Course: Very nice run on paved trail around Lake Cleary park. Rain was hard at times and drizzling at others, but never stopped.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 2:05 PM

Expert
Subject: Lakefront Days Triathlon
Clarification - I didn't run barefoot, I ran sockless. Now that I re-read it, I realize that is a big different. Shoes, but no socks.

Edited by Hazelmn 2007-08-04 2:09 PM

2007-08-04 2:08 PM
in reply to: #913428

Expert
Subject: RE: Lakefront Days Triathlon

Edited by Hazelmn 2007-08-04 2:09 PM
2007-08-04 5:51 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Nice job! Must have been eventful with the precip.!

Doing the St. Paul Tri on the 19th? If so, I'll see you there!
2007-08-04 6:17 PM

Expert
I'm still thinking about St. Paul. It will be a decision I probably make the week of.

Racing in the rain was one of those things... glad I did it once, but don't need to do it again.

Actually, the run in the rain was fine, almost nice. Better than heat. But cycling in the rain can be nasty.
2007-08-04 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Sounds like you had a good race. Have you dried out yet?

Pattie
2007-08-05 11:35 AM

User image

Elite
Great job out there.  I drove by and plucked one of the bikers off the road who had a flat and brought her back. I was pretty happy I wasn't out trying to race a bike in those conditions, you did great.

2007-08-05 4:51 PM

Expert
Thanks, mndiver. That sure is a nice park you have down there for running. 3.4 mile loop, and no roads to cross. Nice surface, too.

Regarding the rain - I'd actually rather have that than hot and humid. However, I'd rather have crisp sun than anything. Glad I got the experience of racing in the rain, but don't feel the need to ever do it again!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakefront Days Triathlon Rss Feed