Bringatine, New Jersey
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 36s
Overall Rank = 346/600
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

uh! Night before I ate 6 peices of pizza. Normally for a running only race this works PERFECTLY - for my first tri, this did not work at all. With my nerves being all worked up it left an uneasy feeling in my tummy.

-Coffee pre race (obviously I should have had something more)
Event warmup:

No warm up! Need to work on this.
Swim
  • 16m 9s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was probably the toughest 16 minutes of my life. I wanted to quit so bad. The first bouy almost killed me. The others were behaved. So I tried my hardest to keep swimming freestyle. Didn't work. I had to whip out some breast stroke (my version) and back stroke. I keep saying that the swim is a humbling experience. I firmly believe that. I kept telling myself "you just f'ing ran 20 miles the other day and you are having f'ing trouble doing this?" Of course, I'm more trained for the 20 miler than I am the swim :(
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more. There was nothing I could have done differently in this race. It was what is was - my first tri. I need to swim more. I need to swim more in the open water. This was a mess and I was exhausted coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Running from the swim to my bike was a pretty tough run seeing as how I was exhausted from the swim. I didn't think that 16 minutes could take that much out of you. I'm satisfied with transition

nothing really. This was a good experience.
Bike
  • 34m 37s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I did well on the bike - better than I had expected. I've kind of short changed the training on the bike. I seemed to have been passing a lot of people on the bike. I felt comfortable. I definitely could have kicked it up a few notches.

perhaps kicked it up a few notches. I forget my gel. I will have to remember that next time ;-)
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

again, another good experience. I thought I did well.

run a little faster with my bike and learn how to get my feet out of my shoes while on bike. Much easier to run barefoot than with bike shoes on.
Run
  • 40m 28s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where you would have thought I had never run before. The first mile and half were UNBELIEVEABLY difficult for me. First I started running and was at around 8:37 and I thought to myself "that's too fast - remember you have a hurt hamstring." I couldn't slow myself down but I knew I needed to. So I saw this woman who was having difficulty and I used her to slow me down but I allowed her to slow me down to an over 11 minute mile. Geez! So "good luck" I told her and I was on my way. I had 2 miles to make up the mile and half I ran with her. Top speed 6:50 avg last two miles low 9's. Wish I could have done better! Just didn't have it today. My nutrition needs to be addressed as well - IN GENERAL. 6 peices of pizza doesn't cut it.

as far as running - SUCK IT UP! DON'T SLOW DOWN! NO SUCH THING AS "TOO FAST" WHEN YOU ARE ONLY RUNNING $ MILES!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

walk to the car

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it was anxiety, tiredness from the swim, poor nutrition, no real goal, better training (more bricks)

Event comments:

first tri!!! What can you say? I'm ecstatic I finished! The swim was tough for me. I need to work on that.

Last updated: 2007-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:09 | 437 yards | 03m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 440/600
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri suit
Course: all right turns - kind of a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:37 | 11 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Overall: 222/600
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: around town. It was nice! Road was open to traffic.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:28 | 04 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 374/600
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Brigatine Triathlon

2007-08-04 4:31 PM
in reply to: #913462

User image

Subject: RE: Brigatine Triathlon
Congratulations on finishing your first tri. I hope the race started in waves. 600 people is alot of swimmers all at once.
Did you swim on the Ocean side or on the Bay side?
2007-08-04 6:04 PM
in reply to: #913494

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
  Thanks! We swam in the bay.  There were 11 waves.  There was a small  current that had to be fought in the beginning and somehow it didn't help me in the end.  It was a fun yet very eye-opening experience, especially when it comes to swimming & bricks!!!! Need to do more!
2007-08-05 4:17 PM
in reply to: #913539

User image

PA
IMHO, you have a lot to be happy about. You didn't quit, your biking was amazing, and you learned a lot about the experience. With another few weeks of training and a wetsuit to help you float, you'll do fine in Chicago!
2007-08-05 4:58 PM
in reply to: #913941

User image

Veteran
Way to go completing your 1st triathlon!
2007-08-05 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well maybe 6 pieces of pizza is too much, I only had 4. Good job out there way to stick it out after a tough swim.

2007-08-08 10:00 PM
in reply to: #914191

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-09 9:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

Congrats on finishing your first tri - great race and a very good bike.  Don't worry about the swim too much.  Half of the battle seems to be a mind game, and that is beaten with experience.  I just had my first really good swim on my third race, and my second was an improvement over the first as well.  You'll nail the next one.

2007-08-10 5:13 AM
in reply to: #919084

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Bopper - 2007-08-08 11:00 PM

WELL DONE Carrie... for a first time experience this was EXCELLENT! Yes the swim is humbling... but you carried on and did what needed to be done. Great job!!!

Now, use what you have learned. You will be prepared for Chicago.... no doubt in my mind. The second one ... you will rock it's socks off.

Thanks Bopper.  I did carry on, but I have to be honest with you I don't know how I did. I wanted to quit that swim so badly; forunately or unfortunately???? I don't really quit much of anything.  I still don't see how I'll be ready for Chicago, but I will give it my all   I decided to sign up for Steelman this weekend to get another OWS experience.  This swim is 800 yds so it's more than the Brigatine swim. I am not eating 6 peices of pizza the night before. I DID learn something in my first tri

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brigatine Triathlon Rss Feed