United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 45m 2s
Overall Rank = 194/238
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 38/44
Pre-race routine:

Since this race was only about 1:15 from the house, it wasn't too early of a wake-up call. I had packed the car last night and after some PB toast, we were off. I had coffee and a water bottle in the car. As we were driving, I noticed a few sprinkles on the windshield from time to time. We really need the rain, so no complaints there.
Event warmup:

Not much, something that I need to work on. I jogged back to the car for my sunglasses, which I didn't really need. Then I took the bike for a spin to check everything. Then I went to the very gross lake to swim for a bit. Nothing like that 6 inch visibility. I swam a bit and then went back to the beach to wait for my wave.
Swim
  • 09m 15s
  • 402 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best swim yet. I had clear water the whole way and quickly found my rhythm. Even though the water was disturbingly murky, I swam well. After the bouy, I think I slowed a bit. If I don't have anyone around me, I tend to slack off some.
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn to pace myself better and not rely on another swimmer to push myself.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

I'm just so slow in T1. It's sad. After rinsing my feet (in the pouring rain), I pulled on socks and shoes. Then I had to get my helmet on right with my hair. Next I had to fuss with my watch. At least I didn't fall on my face with my bike like last time.

Not be such a freaking princess about my feet and hair.
Bike
  • 52m 53s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first time riding in the rain and I guess it's just something you have to do. So I did it. The first part was the toughest; into the wind with a driving rain. When I was on my aerobars, the water was spraying me in the face. I had a new nutrition plan today: Acellerade and half a Clif Bar for the first 7 miles. Then a couple Sports Beans and some water for the next 3 miles. It seemed to work well today. The Clif and Beans were in a baggie in my Bento box and got pretty wet. Clif holds up better in water than Beans, which just fused into one huge clump. The whole time out there I was pretty nervous about the road conditions. New pavement, wind and rain made for kind of a scary ride. I have no experience riding on wet pavement, so I had to ride carefully. My goal was to finish and not crash out. A couple times I was reminded of that awful horse trial at Radnor several years ago that involved a crash in the rain. This time I was just as wet, but no crash.

Nothing much. Maybe go a little harder on the uphills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Doh! "Hey, 156! Your helmet!" Thanks. Someone had jacked my rack spot, so I had to shift down and totally forgot my helmet. Thanks to the girl that saved me from having to run with it. I'm not that special that I need a helmet when I run.

Helmet, duh!
Run
  • 38m 12s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't run all week because of some nagging shin pain, so I just wanted to run as much as possible. Kind of the same strategy as the other races this year. I started out and quickly began the "let's run to the next corner and see if I need to stop" game. That keeps my head busy and kills some time. Well, I didn't stop the whole way! I haven't run 3 miles straight in about a year. That was a big accomplishment. Now, I realize that I was super-slow, but at least I didn't stop. Running in the rain was kind of nice. I took a gel at mile 2 and that helped me power through that last mile. During that last mile I kept leapfrogging with a teenage boy who was really struggling. His left calf said he was in Wave 1; I was Wave 6. Each time I passed him, I kept encouraging him to keep going. We rounded the turn to the finish and I told him, "Let's go, dude. Kick it!" We sprinted and of course he dusted me. It felt good to help him out and see him finish.

This month is going to be about getting a little faster before Treadman. I have to start training the run now.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. Got some food and chatted with a guy from the gym. He was finished as I was going out on the run. Turns out he finished 3rd overall. Then I changed clothes for the drive home. Good call on bringing clean clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the rain. Mostly the engine.

Event comments:

This was a good race, except for the nasty lake. I'll put it on the calendar for next year, but make sure to have a change of clothes and some way to clean up afterward.

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:15 | 402 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/44
Overall: 0/238
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight out and back, bouys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:53 | 14.5 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/44
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a large loop. They shortened it from 16.5 to 14.5 because of road construction. When I got that email, I was not happy. Today, it was a good thing. About half the time we were into the wind with the rain in our faces. Pretty rough. There were lots of volunteers at every intersection. Bless them for standing in the rain all day.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:38:12 | 03.4 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/44
Performance: Good
Course: Large loop around the lake. Never exactly flat; either a little up or down the whole way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Lakefront Days Triathlon

2007-08-04 9:16 PM
in reply to: #913612

Expert
Subject: RE: Lakefront Days Triathlon
Nice report, and nice swim time! You're right, that lake was nasty. On the run, I kept amusing myself by wondering if "Lake Cleary" is named after a person, or if they are actually trying to claim it is clear! Murkiest lake I've been in for a long time.

Also, I loved this quote: "Not be such a freaking princess about my feet and hair.". I like a lady who can be brutally honest with herself!

Heal that shin, and have a good race at Treadman.
2007-08-04 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
"On the run, I kept amusing myself by wondering if "Lake Cleary" is named after a person, or if they are actually trying to claim it is clear!"

I had the exact same thought!!! I guess the Chamber of Commerce voted down Lake Murkey.

Pattie
2007-08-06 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Nice race!  I declined on this one even though my son and I didn't do Boundary Waters this week (son had an ankle injury).  Spent all day Saturday pulling carpet to get ready for new stuff...

Funny about the comments on the lake...I took my son fishing there about 2 weeks ago.  He was fishing an artificial worm and we couldn't see it a foot beneath the surface.  I thought to myself 'people are gonna swim in this stuff next week.'

Glad you stayed safe on the bike.  Thought about you guys as it was raining ALL DAY Saturday...

Way to push through the run and run a continous 3.  That was nice of you to encourage the teenager.  Glad you both finished strong.  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakefront Days Triathlon Rss Feed