Brigantine Community Education and Rec Dept
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 21s
Overall Rank = 393/501
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 since we stayed in town. Had 1/2 bagel with cream cheese 8oz Orange Juice. Forgot my ensure, but it wasn't a big deal.
Event warmup:

Rode from the condo to transition (1.2 miles) walked around said HI to familiar faces and met some new ones (JohnnyKay, SouthwestMBA).
Swim
  • 08m 35s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm surprised by my swim time. I thought I was faster, I felt great. Most comfortable swim in a race this season. We started swimming into the current, turned right at the buoy and by the second turn we were swimming with the current. It was strong enough that when I made the last turn to go directly to the shore I was getting pulled away with the current. I swam until my fingers touched bottom and when I stood, my right leg got buried up to my knee in muck- eeeewww! Freed myself and trotted to T1
What would you do differently?:

Buy a sleeveless wetsuit. My bottom half needs an XL, my top half needs a M-L. I feel like I'm carrying extra water in my sleeves with every stroke. I think that would really help with my comfort level too.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I needed to stop for a sec in T1 to rinse my mouth off. First salt water swim left me with a nasty taste. Last time I tasted that was in my diving days- which also meant sea sickness and puking. The time I spent drinking and spitting was absolutely needed.

Nada
Bike
  • 36m 34s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a windy course with headwind, tailwind, and crosswinds. My goal was to hit 21mph avg- not so much. The roads were quite rough with lots of hidden holes. They're typical shore town roads, eaten away from salt water and sand, but nice none-the-less. I saw my dad and my kids infront of the condo waiting to cheer us on, that was nice. I kept a higher cadence than normal but a slower speed also. I didn't use my profile bottle and had to stop pedaling each time I pulled out and racked my water bottle. Other than that I had a very nice ride.

Nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I like riding with my feet on the shoes- it's easier to run through transition. I took the time for my shorti socks, grabbed my hat, race belt, cup of water, and that was the beginning of the end for me.

Nada
Run
  • 51m 59s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

I trotted out of T2 almost at a standstill. I still felt nauseous and couldn't understand why. The first mile was very long and I walked before the first water station. I saw Scoogie, Andy, and Ed (in that order) all beofre the first water table. I was drinking, splashing myself, and hating every step of this run. It was very hot, very humid, and very sunny. Great beach weather, not so great running weather. I was very disappointed with myself and angered I had such trouble with this run. This seems to be a constant theme with me so I had better step it up a bit. Other than taking advantages of all the showers, hoses, and one lawn sprinkler :) nothing eventful happened.

Run better, dummy.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with some buddies and walked over to the ball field for the post race grub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a lousy runner.

Event comments:

What a wonderfully organized race. Other than the first wave going off about 10-15 minutes late, it was great. Lots of volunteers, the course was marked well, and the food was good afterwards (burgers, dogs, fruit). My only complaint was that the roads were open to traffic, but Brigantine PD had it squared away and stopped traffice for us to turn and cross streets. I will definitely do this race next year.

Last updated: 2007-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:35 | 440 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/501
Performance: Good
Suit: QR full suit
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:34 | 11 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around the exterior of the island.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:59 | 04 miles | 12m  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on the main road. Water stations every mile and a few showers to run through :)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: Brigantne Island Triathlon

2007-08-04 10:24 PM
in reply to: #913624

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Brigantne Island Triathlon
It was nice to meet you out there today. That run is pretty tough since you are exposed to the sun the whole way and it was getting hotter and hotter as the morning went on. We all have days like these though.

I really do enjoy this race though. It has a very nice relaxed feel to it, and you get a lot of first timers. Its a fun race and just the right size. Hope to see you around.
2007-08-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #913624

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

The heat & humidity were tough out there, but nice job nonetheless.

Funny, I think you were chatting with one of our friends during the run.  It was nice to meet you this weekend.  Thanks again for the thoughtful token! 

2007-08-07 9:24 AM
in reply to: #914983

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Way to go!!!

Sounds like a nice race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brigantne Island Triathlon Rss Feed