United States
TBF Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 57s
Overall Rank = 114/196
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Spent the day before at a BBQ/fundraiser for my sis (she’s in Team in Training), and got home at 10p. Got everything all packed and ready, and got to bed around 11p. Since I wasn’t pre-reg, I wanted to get there when reg opened at 6a, so I got up at 4:30. Ugh. Sleeping another 4 hours sounded like a good idea, but I was already packed up, so I might as well go. Got a little lost, but made it there at 6am sharp. Only a few other people were there – apparently the site was wrong, and reg wasn’t until 6:30, but they let me anyways. Got a good rack spot, set up. Then waited. And waited. And waited. Watched the kids race go off – awesome to see!!
Event warmup:

What? I helped 2 guys zip their wetsuits – does that count?
Swim
  • 30m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since the water was supposedly 70F, and I don’t have a wetsuit, and was too cheap to rent one – I went without. Looked like about 20% of racers were without a wetsuit. I was shivering while waiting for the start, but quickly warmed up and was glad not to be wearing one when the race started. My focus was on keeping an even pace, and saving up for the bike and run. Felt I did a pretty good job.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty fast. Under 2 min, I think. No wetsuit def made things faster, as did having an end rack spot.
What would you do differently?:

Baby powder in socks, maybe.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Hop on, look at watch; 33 min. Looks like I had a comparable swim to my last oly, but much faster T1. Was keeping up a pretty good pace (for me), and it felt like there was very little wind. I was still getting passed by a fair amount of people from the wave after mine, though. About 10 mi out, a lost pick-up truck decided to make a U-turn... gets confused with all the bikers on both sides, and sits for a bit in the middle, perpendicular to the road! Yikes! Needless to say, I stopped to avoid a potential car-bike collision. Hit the turn around at 1:12. Wow! I was anticipating a 1:30 bike split, but was on pace for 1:20. Pushed hard on the way back. At the train tracks, heard both rims hit HARD (ouch!), but no pinch flat. Phew!! Try to back off as I’m entering the park, but there’s just too many people to pass, so I push hard all the way.

Slower over the train tracks.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Really fast. Pulling in I heard a guy shout “Go Davis!!” (I was wearing my UC Davis Tri uniform). I put elastic laces and cord locks on my old shoes last night, so it was super speedy, perhaps under a min. Ran out carrying hat a water, and heard the same guy shout, “Fast transition Davis! Go!”. :D

Nada.
Run
  • 54m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Checked watch after I was well clear of T2, 1:55. Hmmm… I might just be able to make 2:50 if I pull off a good run. I’m taking it easy, trying to find my legs, and get passed by a girl with 23 written on her calf. Nooooo!!! I mark her, and begin plotting. It takes a while for me to pick up the pace, but once I do, I’m passing people left and right. Carrying my on bottle, I make no stops, and gain more on my target, eventually passing her before the 4 mile mark. Push a litte harder so she can’t catch me. After the 5 mile mark, I start pushing really hard. I know it’ll be really close if I want 2:50, and I’m determined to try. Gotta make the last 1.2 mi in 10 min. Probably going sub-8:00 pace, and tearing by everyone ahead of me. See the finish and sprint, crossing it at 2:49, almost exactly.
Post race
Warm down:

I was stoked – a PR by 18 minutes! Packed up, grabbed some food, and went for a dip in the lake. Waited for results to be posted (never were) and hung around the awards. I felt I had a good chance of placing. They get around to my AG: 5th place… not me, 4th… not me, 3rd… not me (oh no! did I not place?), 2nd… not me… wait I passed her on the run! Holy crap! I’ve never won anything!!

Event comments:

This series is on my list for next year. Awesome!

Last updated: 2007-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/196
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:03 | 24.85 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Performance:
Bike split incl. T1 and T2?
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:16 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Performance:
My fastest 10K?
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-05 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri 4 Real

2007-08-07 12:31 AM
in reply to: #913944

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: RE: Tri 4 Real

Excellent job!  Woo Hoo!  I didn't know that Davis had a TRI team.  Congrads on the PR.  You should be proud.

2007-08-07 12:43 AM
in reply to: #913944

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri 4 Real
Great Job on the race and congrats on coming in 1st in your AG!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri 4 Real Rss Feed