showed up and paid 35 bucks- no t shirt :(
Event warmup:

no need to warm up for a 100 mile ride
Bike
  • 6h 39m 41s
  • 101 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

well, I started riding at a fairly agressive pace, and thought I could do this thing in about 5.5 hours. I felt good and was cruising along the first 30-40 miles, although my chain was skipping in the climbing gears. I had it adjusted at stop 1, and it still skipped, so they adjusted it again at stop 2. It was a lot better, but still skipped in some gears the rest of the ride. I felt pretty good and was hydrating and eating well. I was getting a bit uncomfortable with my bike position by mile 50. My bike is small for me and I have an "agressive" fit (meaning bad fit). I was still riding pretty well and had about a 17mph avg pace up to mile 70 ish. At that point I started getting some slight cramping issues, but not too terrible and the hills were getting tougher to climb. I tried to compensate by downing gatorade and water, but my stomach just got upset and I could not eat any more gu the rest of the ride. I was either leading, or staying with the pack until about mile 80 when on the fist uphill after the sag stop my legs locked up and started cramping like hell. My hammies were seizing up on me and all I could do was massage my legs and granny gear while standing- it was incredibly painful, and the hot weather just added insult to injury. I considered packing it in at the last sag, but with 8 miles to go I decided to somehow get it done. Those last 8 miles were ougher than the first 50. The cramping was out of control- it took me 50 minutes to go the final 8 miles.
It was a pleasure to ride with Neal, Jonathan, Amy, and Lou most of the way, and other that the last 20 miles of pain I still enjoyed it overall. Lots of good lessons learned.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better fit on my bike, remember to wear my heart rate moniter to keep it in check, remember to bring the endurolytes. T.I.T.S. Dont do an LSD run the day before a century ride (duh!)
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to eat spaghetti, talked with Lou and Jonathan. Drank lots of lemonade and water and drove home with the AC on high

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fit, heat, fatigue, little other variables

Event comments:

The volunteers were great. It was frusrating that the sag stops did not have anything but junk food, a pb&j would have beeen great and they were out of Ice at many of them, which happened to be at the latter miles when it was stupid hot out. I did not get a t-shirt even though I paid 35$. he roads were nasty in spots, and there was a section that was not even paved, although next year it will be.

Last updated: 2007-08-04 12:00 AM
Biking
06:39:41 | 101 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: rolling terrain, some rough spots and gravel spots, which sucke a little
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-05 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: Covington Century Ride for Youth

2007-08-05 9:11 PM
in reply to: #914081

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Covington Century Ride for Youth
Great race report.  I couldn't have described our "fun" any better.
2007-08-06 9:22 AM
in reply to: #914150

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
You did a great job finishing this ride and learning along the way. Kirk didn't get a shirt either, but you were only guaranteed a shirt if you signed up before - but believe me you didn't miss anything (it's the ugliest shirt I've gotten yet!).
2007-08-06 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Way to tough it out in that heat. I was pretty miserable from 50 to finish myself. I saw a LOT of peole cramping out there. Thing is, we were all kind of dupped. It felt relatively cool at the start.. but it was actually already 75 degrees. Kind of gross, but I was tasting my sweat by mile 10, and it was extremely salty.. we were all losing electrolytes early and because of the major climb in temps to the upper 90's, we were all pretty much sitting ducks. By the time the heat really kicked in, most of us had already blown nutrition. You did good considering the circumstances. Nice job getting through those last 9 miles.
2007-08-06 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Greg - as already noted in my 'spire to you, you get MAJOR props from me for dealing with a tough situation very well.  I know you weren't a happy camper through much of the ride and at the end, but hope you're feeling better today about what you accomplished.  Great job yesterday!

This said, look forward to hearing about bike fit/other changes that might come as a result.  And I know when it happens, you're going to be tough to hang with...

2007-08-07 4:12 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Way to hang in there and tough it out, Greg. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Covington Century Ride for Youth Rss Feed