Project Adventure, Inc.
90'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0-dark:30, dressed - sported my The Sport Factory bib kit - grabbed my bag, kissed Beth "goodbye" (I don't think she remembers), and headed out the door. Loaded bike on car and was on the road. A quick stop at QT for some Accelerade, a Clif Bar, and some water and a bag of pretzels for the ride. For whatever reason, I wasn't very hungry, but I knew my stomach needed something and, in light of the anticipated heat, some sodium intake made sense. The drive to Covington took about 60 minutes.
Event warmup:

Stepped out of the car. A bit after 7AM, the humidity was high and the heat was rising. Yikes...
Bike
  • 6h 02m
  • 100.94 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off with Greg and Neal and we rocked down the road. At the first SAG,others from our group - Jonathan, Kraig, Courtney, Amy, Heather, and Kirk - eventually showed up as well. Cool. Greg, Neal, Kraig and me headed back out and kept it together. Eventually though, the group whittled down to me and Kraig sharing pulls and Greg and Neal riding a bit further back. At some point, Jonathan and Amy joined them. When Kraig turned left to follow the 80-mile route, I was solo so hung out at the next SAG until the others arrived. From that point on, we stayed loosely connected until the end of the ride.

Much of the road surface was smooth, but quite a bit was pretty rough too. One of the organizers said they hope to have the worst sections repaved in time for next year.
What would you do differently?:

If I do this one again, I'd like to go out with one of the lead groups and see how far and fast I can go before I "blow up." A friend rode it in 4:40-something today, so he was 20+mph. Not sure if I could do that for the entire 100, but perhaps for 50+. If I recall correctly, I believe I noted a tad over 19mph through the first 50 and I wasn't going full-bore; so, 20mph avg for 50 is probably doable.
Post race
Warm down:

Gathered my senses, loaded up the car, and changed into some dry clothes. Connected with Jonathan and Greg and grabbed some pasta (meat sauce for me), garlic bread, salad, and lemonade in the "canteen." It wasn't Ippolito's good, but it sure hit the spot!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More consistent long rides. This was only my second Century. Under the conditions - high heat and not a big base of long (75+ miles) rides - I was very happy with today's effort.

Event comments:

Good SAGS - lots of volunteers and *something* available to eat at each one, but they'd do well to be a bit more deliberate about some of the menu items. I concur with others who noted that a lot of the food was simply sugar-laden junk. And yes, if the weather forecast is calling for "muy caliente," how about stock-piling some ice for the late SAGS? Nothing like drinking warm Heed, Gatorade, and/or water, eh?
Also, some Uncrustables or hand-made PB&J's (it's actually pretty easy to produce hundreds of sandwiches) would've been well-received by the Century rides late in the game too. Still, the Project Adventure Kids volunteers did a great job of trying to do whatever they could to make the ride a good one.
Epic Bikes and other support vehicles were VERY evident and did a great job of helping people out as needed.

Last updated: 2007-08-04 12:00 AM
Biking
06:02:00 | 100.94 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
My cycle computer said 16.94 pace, but based upon experience, I'm pretty certain it's giving me too much credit. I backed it off and tried to extrapolate based upon when I finished and hit a given SAG and when others in our group finished and hit certain SAGs. Forgot to bring my HRM strap - this was probably a good thing. I actually felt good most of the day. It was definitely hot as Hades, but I never felt like my HR stepped out of bounds.
Wind: Some
Course: From the Project Adventure Kids website, I gleaned the following: "The ride winds its way through the rural counties of Newton, Jasper, and Walton. You will ride through historic Social Circle, Newborn, Mansfield, and other serene areas in these counties. The ride offers some beautiful scenery and turn of the century architecture. Traffic is minimal and at times non-existent. The course is undoubtedly one of the fastest rides in the South. If you’re looking for a personal best – smooth, easy, fast, and beautiful – this is it!" OK...a couple of observations. First, we did ride through all of those places, but I don't remember much about the "beautiful scenery" or the "turn of the century architecture" - it was so friggin' hot that all I could think about was reaching a given SAG, hydrating, and finding a bit of shade. Second, the PR person who wrote the part about "smooth, easy, and fast" is good, very good - at fibbing. The road was smooth, in places; the road was easy, in places; the road was fast, in places. The also was rough as hell in places, hard in places, and similar to a death march in places. The thought did occur to me at times that if Dante had written about a "Circle of Hell" for cyclists, parts of this course would've been included. At times, the heat coming off the pavement felt like heat from a blast furnace
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-05 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Covington Century Ride for Youth

2007-08-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: #914207

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Covington Century Ride for Youth
Great ride yesterday.
2007-08-06 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
I saw you come in and you looked fresh. Great job out there. To have thoughts like.. go all out until you bonk, and even think about pace, means you had to have had a pretty good day. I agree with your thoughts on the course. It was not easy.. maybe 20 degrees cooler I would have a different perception.
2007-08-06 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
You looked great when I saw you yesterday, too bad the 80 and 100 split so early! Congrats on finishing a HOT ride - great job!
2007-08-16 9:01 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Great ride, Lou!  Way to handle the heat and power through the ride.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Covington Century Ride for Youth Rss Feed