General Discussion Race Reports! » Brookhaven Holtsville Mini Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brookhaven Holtsville Mini Triathlon - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Holtsville, New York
United States
Town of Brookhaven
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = ?
Age Group Rank = 0/?
Pre-race routine:

arrive early, apply sun-tan lotion
Event warmup:

Bike 15min, swim 100m
Swim
  • 15m
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

some drift between lengths, participants would swim head-on into each other being in pool. This was a last minute entry for me, my 1st event ever, I performed about as normal as I do during my training (which has only been 4 weeks never having swam for exercise previously, I am slow, for now!). I think I was 3rd from last out of the pool (ahh!!)
What would you do differently?:

start my HRM watch now vs. in T1 (even though I didn't wear my chest strap as it slides off in pool swims when pushing off sides). Perform more bilateral breathing, something I'm still learning & not used to yet.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

no crazy hurry, 1st event, I'm just trying to finish, didn't use a wetsuit (pool swim), new bike and still waiting on clipless shoe/pedal order so I had regular pedals and my running shoes. No problems in T1. I was surprised to see my HR at 160bpm since I'm usually in the high 120's during my swim training (I wouldn't expect the 30yd run to T1 from the pool to bump me too much but I'm much too new to know any better too).

maybe learn to wear shoes w/out socks? (putting those on slows you down of course)
Bike
  • 12m
  • 3.25 miles
  • 16.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I was worried about my HR being in the 160's for this section but only as a comparison to my runs (where I'm usually in the high 140's) and felt somewhat winded and didn't want to signifiantly underperform (this is my 2nd ride on a new bike as I haven't owned a road bike in 20yrs and don't know my HR for riding yet). But the ride felt good, I'm not quite comfortable on the bike yet but that will come with riding/training time and any adjustments as necessary. I did get to pass a few people.

push harder maybe? I think I may have worried about my HR but for such a short distance event and my 'newness' I think I overworried? I also didn't feel comfortable drinking much due to being somewhat out of breath so I would make sure I was better hydrated especially since it was a hot & humid morning (& not too early either as the race didn't start till 9am)
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

no need to change shoes, T2 was simple and smooth, put on visor to help keep sweat out of my eyes and left sunglasses on

nothing, it was simply/easy so it went well
Run
  • 20m
  • 1.5 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

HR was still at 160 when starting the run. I grabbed a cup of water but should have had 2, one to pour on my head. My calves are always a bit stiff when starting my training runs and this held true today too. I ran slow w/ short steps on purpose, I felt warm (it was sunny & hot!) and wanted to lower my HR. I got it down to 157bpm but felt like I was scacrificing speed to do so (short distance might mean no big deal so I think I was applying race ideas from 'regular' events to this but again, I'll chalk it up to newbie-ness). After about 5min my legs felt better and I picked up slightly. I only passed one guy but he was doing walk/run intervals at this point. By comparison, I picked up my pace for the last 1/4 mile from a slow jog to a run.

Drink more, maybe carry a water bottle? Push myself a bit more too as I could have handled it and the race was short so again I was a bit too focused on the HR thing.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for 5-10min, drank a lovely chilled 32oz Gatorade, then some protein drink I bought (forgot to strech, duh).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've only been running 7 weeks, swimming 4 and had no bike training, I'm also about 50-60lbs overweight and a possible overfocus on my HR on such a short course event.

Event comments:

I rate myself 'avg' in categories based on my current condition and not potential or compared to others [then I would definitely be 'below avg' or 'bad' -ha! :] My time for all events is approx. as I'll be mailed my results and can hopefully change this info then?

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 400 meters | 03m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Average
Suit: Tyr
Course: Olympic pool, width wise, 25m lenghts x 16 (8 laps)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:12:00 | 03.25 miles | 16.25 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: 2 turns + turnaround, very slight rolling hill. Started in parking lot heading out to local streets.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:00 | 01.5 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 7/8 sunny, flat through parking lot & followed run/walk course paved trail on-site.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Subject: Brookhaven Holtsville Mini Triathlon

2007-08-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: #914453

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Brookhaven Holtsville Mini Triathlon
Awesome Job Jay Congrats on your first tri!!!  I think you did most excellent as you have just started, just got your bike and decided to do the race 11th hour   I always run with a water bottle.  I do not gulp water well at water stops and I sweat boat loads.  Enjoy the new triathlete glow
2007-08-07 7:31 PM
in reply to: #914453

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Brookhaven Holtsville Mini Triathlon
CONGRATS TRIATHLETE!!! Nice job grabbing this race at the last minute, excellent practice and amazing how we now monitor our HRM's so early in the morning! Congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brookhaven Holtsville Mini Triathlon Rss Feed