General Discussion Race Reports! » Canadian Championship ITU Pan American in Drummond Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Canadian Championship ITU Pan American in Drummond - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Drummondville, Quebec
Canada
82.4F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 9s
Overall Rank = 67/242
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early...too early. I was a bit nervous and it showed during the night. I didn't sleep terribly but not that well, either.

The day started with a glass of chocolate milk and a banana. Then, a little BT browsing and PB toast. I had to drive for an hour and a half to get to the site. Registering was easy and very cool with all those volunteers. (I made sure to say thank you to each of them for volunteering ). Bib #533 would be a good race number.

The first thing that struck me on the site was the magnitude of this triathlon. I live in Quebec where everybody speaks french. Yesterday, in the transition area, it was a 50-50% french/english thing. A lot of people from Ontario came for the race. People from British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Albertba, Nova Scotia and even the USA. So, needless to say, the guys and girls that made the trip weren't the ones we would find in the bottom of the result sheet! That was great. I love competition and seeing what others are capable of. The thing is that this race was the opportunity to win a slot for the "World Championships" in Germany, so a lot of hope for a lot of people. (Just so you know, I wasn't even aware of that before or during the race... and besides, I couldn't have been any faster that day).
Event warmup:

I went to the transition area. I saw my friend Marco, my swimming partner from lane 6. We're about the same speed at the swim and the run but his strength is the bike. So we set up our transitions and then decided to go for a little spin. Maybe something like 15 min max. Then, out for a run but again, nothing major.

After putting on some sunscreen, I went for the swim start where I swam for 5 minutes or so in this disgusting water. Everything was set and I was ready to go!

Swim
  • 27m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

My plan was to go smoothly and not let the race get me in a rythm I wasn't comfortable with. I followed that to perfection. I wasn't speedy but it did the job. Swallowed a few gulps of gasoline water and was afraid I would pay on the bike because of it.
What would you do differently?:

Rounding the bouy faster and in a better way. Maybe start a "little" faster to avoid crazy suckers getting their arms and feet everywhere. But somehow, I think I did a good job at the start. We were on the beach, ran in the water and dove in. I had a pretty decent start. Oh, I almost forgot : after the first loop we had to exit the water, go around something and then dive back in the water. I lost a few seconds there because I ran too far on the beach until I heard someone scream "GO back in the water!!!" Oups!
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

The transition was one of my fastest. I removed cap and goggles, ran to my spot, put the helmet and sunglasses and left with the bike. I LOVE fyling mounts! Thanks to someone, I had my bike shoes tied with some rubberbands to make sure they don't FALL OFF like my previous tri (dammit!). It went well. I started pedaling for a while, put the right shoe on. Pedaled again, tried to put the left one...lost a lot of speed.

I should buy tri bike shoes... or practice a bit more with my road bike shoes. Other than that it was cool.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 39s
  • 40 kms
  • 37.71 km/hr
Comments:

I'm VERY happy with my performance on the bike! I have never done a 40 km at that speed. Considering my crappy season related to the injuries, I was surprised with the result. I hammered all along to the point where I was a bit frustrated at myself thinking I wouldn't have any juice left for the run. My quads were hurting at the end. The knee was a bit of a problem after the first loop. I got up on the bike to gain some speed after the U-turn and a few seconds later, I felt it. It stayed with me the whole ride but wasn't a "major" issue though.

I got out of the water a good 45 seconds before my friend Marco. He is a STRONG rider. So I felt I HAD to be speedy if I didn't want him to destroy me on the bike leg. He didn't overtake me until the second lap. Actually, it was funny because we could see each other at each end of the loop and at the first loop he litterally screamed at me "I coming to get you sucker!" in a joking voice. He got me during the second loop but I didn't let myself lose sight of him.

Other interesting thing (not), is that I almost took a nasty plunge! I tried to avoid a man hole cover at the last minute. I managed to get my front wheel out of it and next thing I know my back wheel is in the air and moved laterally by at least 6 inches. When it touched the ground I was certain I would fall since the momentum of the bike was more sideways than forward... but I didn't and told to myself to stop f-ing around!

During the second loop, at one point we began to be a little tight for space. Riding at about 25mph, 2 guys start to overtake me and then seemed to back off a little. We were 4 side by side at everyone the same speed. No more place to overtake for the others and nobody were accelerating to complete the pass?! So I slowed down a little and tried to follow these guys out of their draft but there wasn't too much space available for that to happen. So I have to admit, I drafted for about 50 feet :-( . The guy that just overtook me started to slow down!?! So I overtook him again and stayed for a while in front. I turn my head to see if someone's coming... who do I see? This wheel sucker stuck behind me (there was no one else now, one got in front and the other backed off). He did that for a while. He overtook me again, only to slow down a few hundred yards later, I then overtook him again and he stayed again on my wheel. Idiot! Oh well...

Hummm not much I'll tell ya! 23.5 mph average is more than okay with me with all those injuries :-)
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Everything was very good in T2, except that I went in the wrong alley at first!!! I lost some precious time but ended up getting out of T2 before Marco, who was like 15 seconds in front of me (at least). Other than that, everything was darn quick.

Get in the right place!!!
Run
  • 40m 29s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 03s  min/km
Comments:

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to have a good run after I toasted my legs on the bike. I started out aggressive and fast. I passed a lot of people and then I backed off a bit. After the first loop, I managed to get in front of one of my teammates (with whom I never spoke, though). The run was good for me. I was very tired and felt like my right quad was about to explode or cramp... but THAT didn't happen.

Loop 2 and 3 were tough but I voluntarly slowed down a bit to keep some juice left for the last loop. Good strategy even though some of my competitors overtook me. The ones that passed were so fast that I didn't have a chance even if I would have pushed. Go on guys...my pleasure.

I kept cool and hydrated the best I could with the 2 water stations. One gulp to drink...the rest for cooling the head and chest. Worked out fine.

Remember the last teammate I overtook? He managed to stay with me all the way to the finish line. At 500 meters, I started to hammer thinking he wouldn't be able to follow. He did. Then I went in "red zone" mode and he did too. It was down to a 2 second margin...that I won. It was a hell of a sprint finish! A lot of fun.

Not much. I'm VERY pleased with a 10km in the 40 minutes zone.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank a lot. Spoke with Marco for a while and with some other people. And then I managed to find "Chippit Muffin", the first BTer I meet! Isabelle cheered me the whole race and it helped during the run! Thanks!

Then I went running with someone from the club for 15 to 20 minutes. Considering the blisters I had... ouch!

We stayed to see the ITU Elite race. Athletes from around the world were there and so were 4-5 guys from the club. It was amazing seeing the guys swim at an incredible speed and then do a lightning fast T1!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some injuries limited my training volume but I can't complain here

Last updated: 2007-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:38 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 104/242
Performance: Average
Suit: Nope
Course: 2 loops around a triangular course. The river was awful. Smelled like gasoline and we couldn't see farther than the length of an arm.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:03:39 | 40 kms | 37.71 km/hr
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 84/242
Wind: Some
Course: A 10km course that we did 4 times. Kinda flat but with some tiny hills (faux plat ?!)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:29 | 10 kms | 04m 03s  min/km
Age Group: 8/26
Overall: 64/242
Course: 4 x 2.5 km loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Canadian Championship ITU Pan American in Drummond

2007-08-06 10:03 AM
in reply to: #914569

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Canadian Championship ITU Pan American in Drummond
Great performance and a really good report! Sounds like you had a really good race, good job!
2007-08-06 10:17 AM

User image

Nice sprint finish - even better that you won!!  That water sounded brutal.  Ick. 

I'm doing the ITU event in Kelowna in two weeks, so it was interesting to see how different the field was.  I'm sure I won't notice it quite as much though, as it's mostly english-speaking out here.

Congrats on a great race!

2007-08-06 10:42 AM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

HOLY COW!! Bunny hopping manholes, 23.5 mph average, sprints at finish. . .  I was at the edge of my seat reading your RR

Well done!  Enjoy your rest day Cool

2007-08-06 12:47 PM

User image

WELL DONE! Had to go back and recheck those T times... hell, ALL of your times! Simply amazing! Are you sure you're not a pro?

2007-08-07 3:43 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Wow... what a race.  Amazing splits and speedy quick transitions.  Nice job, Rockstar.

2007-08-07 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Amazing race and great report. It was a pleasure to read.  faux plat? False flats...(little hills).

Did you get any pictures? I love your pictures you always look like a professional! 

2007-08-07 12:52 PM
in reply to: #916383

Champion
South Jersey

Great race! But, I thought it was supposed to be draft legal?

Your bike and run times were extremely impressive. And, given the injuries you had to deal with this season and the fact that you still have them, makes it all just crazily impressive .

Nice work. Now, heal up so you can come back and get a World Championship slot next year!

2007-08-08 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city

Nope, it wasn't draft legal.  Only the elite race was.

I'll check if some decent pics are available and post them ASAP... 

2007-08-10 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Pics are now in the album :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Canadian Championship ITU Pan American in Drummond Rss Feed