General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Barnabas Medical Center 5K Run/Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Barnabas Medical Center 5K Run/Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 50s
Overall Rank = 378/707?
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 26/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up... drank some decaf coffee. ate some fruit salad. felt tight so I stretched a little. Otherwise I just hang out at my brother's house with our families. Drove the three miles to the race.
Event warmup:

The starting line was about a quarter mile away so my brother and I walked over. I found an inclined portion of the road behind the starting line that I jogged up and down a few times. Then we stood in the sun until the gun went off.
Run
  • 28m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The congestion at the start was rough. I really wanted to get going and take a strong pace and see where I ended. Not so easy there. I found a stream on the side of the road where I could get through a little more easily. When I finally hit the first mile marker, they were calling out the time. I heard 8:40. I felt good about that, but wondered why my watch said 9:15... I saw my brother Jeremy (jbennett) as I was approaching the turn around, he was moving. He PR'd that race with 21:20.
At the second mile marker I heard someone yell out 17:something (I don't remember, but close to 18). The last mile was rough... I felt like I was on the verge of puking. But just before the 3-mile mark my brother was standing there encouraging me on. It really helped me push through what seemed to be the longest tenth of a mile ever. :)

I finished at 28:50. I realize now that when I saw the results at the race, they were not final. With my PR, I expected to by much closer to MOP. And here it seemed that I was still BOP... until I see today that I was 378 out of 707... but a number of those were walkers. I would estimate that I was 378 out of about 600 runners... that seems much better.
What would you do differently?:

My legs felt a little sluggish and I don't know why. I know though that I have a faster 5k in me since I did this on heavy legs. It surely had something to do with my long run the previous Monday where I did 10 miles at a blazing (for me) pace of 10:36. I was just using this race as a chance to see what I could do and run with my brother.

Maybe a little better hydration/nutrition... but otherwise I am really happy with the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some gatorade, walked around, stretched and talked with my brother and some people he knew.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bodyweight? dunno other than that.

Event comments:

A good race... although it would be nice if they are going to time walkers, to make some delineation between walkers and runners in the standings.

Last updated: 2007-07-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:50 | 03.11 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/35
Overall: 378/707?
Performance: Good
Course: The course was an out and back course along Meridian Rd in Gibsonia. Most of the run was shaded, and it was fairly flat. There was a gentle roll in places, and the only real incline was at the end of Meridian Rd at the turn around. It was a little saddle, that you ran down to the bottom and then up to the turn around, only to go back down and up. But it was so short it hardly accounted for anything. Most of the run was shaded, but where there was no shade, the sun blasted us. Especially the last tenth of a mile. Ugh.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 11:26 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: St. Barnabas Medical Center 5K Run/Walk

2007-08-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #914809

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: St. Barnabas Medical Center 5K Run/Walk
Ha! You were firmly MOP! Great job! And I agree, they should have a separate category for people who are strictly walkers.
2007-08-08 8:22 AM
in reply to: #914809

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: St. Barnabas Medical Center 5K Run/Walk

Nice race! Yeah, I would say that you were MOP with the runners, but I would not worry about where you placed. This was a PR which means your training is paying off and you are improving. That is worth celebrating!

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Barnabas Medical Center 5K Run/Walk Rss Feed