Pan Mass Challenge
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, got dressed, packed and out for the shuttle bus to the start. Got to the start later than anticipated, and only had a little time to eat, get prepped, and my bag onto the truck for transportation. Ended up forgetting to change into my cycling shoes, so had to go back to the truck, dig out my bag, and get onto my bike.
Event warmup:

None to speak of. I tried to stretch as best I could, but there was nothing to lean on to stretch my hips, which ended being a problem.
Bike
  • 6h 15m
  • 111 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

We chose to skip the first water stop at mile 20, and continued to the second water stop where we rehydrated and fueled up. I drank well on the bike, which is unusual for me, but I made it a point to continuously drink. The day got MUCH hotter as it went on, but riding at 17mph kept us cool - until we stopped. The lunch stop at mile 60 was emotional, as usual, what with all the pictures of the pedal partners lined up. I ate well, but got back onto the bike too soon. I didn't digest well enough. I ate peanut butter sandwiches, gel packs, and granola, and drank LOTS of water and gatorade. I felt like I stayed hydrated, and fueled well. I felt good getting off the bike and didn't feel as wasted as I did last year.

We stopped twice for extended periods - one to eat lunch, and one to visit with my friends family who had come to see us at a water stop.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. We tried to find solid riding groups, but it was really hard to find one. It seemed that whenever we got into a good pace line, it EXPLODED as soon as we hit a hill. With everyone wearing the same jerseys on Day 1, it was hard to tell who was part of a normal riding group, and who had just latched on. So, when we hit a hill, if you got stuck behind a hanger-on, they slowed instead of pounding up it. Thus the explosion at the hills. It's not really a race, but I did want to get along as quickly as we could. So doing things differently doesn't really count...
Post race
Warm down:

Got off bike, and went immediately to sign up for a free 15minute massage. Got our bags, took a shower, and then went for a beer and food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too many people on the road (there were 5000 riders who all left at the same time), and heat.

Event comments:

Overall, this is one of the most amazing events of any type. 5000+ riders, 2500+ voluteers, 2 days, all organized so well, people should write books about it. On top of that, we will most likely raise over $27million this year for cancer research.

Last updated: 2007-02-03 12:00 AM
Biking
06:15:00 | 111 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Started in Sturbridge, MA. Generally hilly, but nothing real steep or long. We stayed mostly on well paved roads with little traffic. It was early enough that most folks weren't out. Not many long straight, flat sections - we seemed to be either climbing or descending - never at the same time.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 1:37 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Pan Mass Challenge

2007-08-06 2:40 PM
in reply to: #915091

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Pan Mass Challenge

Well done, D.Z., with that 17.76 pmh average speed for over 6 hours. 

Looks like you had enough hydration that you didn't have to resort to drinking your own sweat for extra salt.

2007-08-06 3:18 PM
in reply to: #915091

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Pan Mass Challenge
Great job DZ! You were flying out there! Agree that it was hard to really keep zipping along with so many riders on the road. And the whole "ride to the right" thing was lost on lots of folks! You maintained a pretty awesome pace though!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pan Mass Challenge Rss Feed