Pan Mass Challenge
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 23m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

As with day one, not much. We were up at 4am to pack up our tent, pack up our gear, get it loaded onto the trucks, get our water bottles filled, and eat breakfast.
Event warmup:

I did a much better job stretching as we were a little early to the start. We didn't want to get going too early, because we really wanted to see the sun come up as we crossed the Bourne Bridge. I ate some food - not alot though as my tummy was a little wonky from all of the food I ate after the ride on Saturday. My legs felt good though, and it didn't hurt as much to get on the bike as it did on Sunday of last year.
Bike
  • 4h 23m
  • 78 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good coming out of the gate. I think our average pace was much higher than the 17.7 noted above, but we spent some time with the bike road crew because I couldn't clip only my pedal. We stored our bikes on a baseball field, and that meant that when I went to get the bike, the clay from the field got all in my cleat, and gunked it up. I needed a nylon brush to clean it out. Then, we had to line up for about 20 minutes because we were being led single file over the bridge. We had one lane closed off specifically for us, but last year there were so many riders who went into the traffic lane, that the Army Corps of Engineers threated to make us walk our bikes over the bridge if we didn't clean up our act this year. From what I saw, everyone did abide by the rules, so hopefully, next year we'll be able to ride.

Anyhow, we were able to ride with 2 good groups during this ride. One group had us averaging 25-30mph for one of the 20mile stretches, and the other had us going 22-23 for another 20 miles. We lost each one at a lunch stop, and Nick and I were forced to pull a few riders through most of hardest parts of Provincetown. There was a STIFF headwind, and we were able to pull through most of it at 18-20mph.

I ate and hydrated well, and we didn't spend much time at the water stops. We met my family at the 2nd stop on the Cape, and it was great to see them. Jack, the 11 year old cancer survivor was there with his sign, as he has been for so many years. (His sign says "I'm 11 now because of you") I expect he won't be there for long as I think as soon as he is old enough, he will ride it himself.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really.
Post race
Warm down:

Showered, ate, relaxed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Training, I guess. But again, we weren't really racing, but we were trying to get to the end as soon as we could.

Event comments:

Again, a top notch organization. The hardest part of this whole weekend is the fund-raising. I'm $2400 into it, and I have until Oct 1 to raise the remaining $1200. That's still alot of money. The bike ride is the easiest part.

Last updated: 2007-02-03 12:00 AM
Biking
04:23:00 | 78 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Started out with some rolling hills, went into some generally flat areas, and then into the dunes, which seemed shorter than last year. Course was well marked, and the riders were more spread out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Pan Mass Challenge - day 2

2007-08-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #915118

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Pan Mass Challenge - day 2

You guys are even faster on day 2!!  Crazy!

Great job on the rides.  Say hi to Nick when you see him next time.

2007-08-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: #915118

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Pan Mass Challenge - day 2

Pretty impressive pace for day 2! I thoroughly enjoyed the ride on day 2, but I gotta tell ya it was alot of up and down! But it was really fun and my friend and I pulled each other forward the whole way!

Good luck with the fundraising—agree it is the most difficult part. Still trying to reach my goal as well, but very, very close!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pan Mass Challenge - day 2 Rss Feed