General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton, Louisiana
United States
Sportspectrum
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 28s
Overall Rank = 658/1092
Age Group = Clydesdale 40+
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Coffee and bagels with peanut butter with the wife and kids. They were all good sports getting up so early (two days in a row) and hanging out in the heat and humidity during the race.
Event warmup:

I was in the last wave again for this race so my pre-race warm-up was to show-up 3 hours early, set-up and then wait for my wave to start. I did get in some swimming before the start.
Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned myself in the front row and in the middle. I was in the same wave as the under 40 Clydesdales and the 14 and under kids. My plan was to go out fast at the start from the front and then look around and see who was still with me and to jump on their feet. I executed that part of the plan perfectly and after 300 yards I looked around and saw 4 guys about 20 yards ahead, then myself and one other guy and then about 50 yards back was the main field. So, I put my head back down and started to settle in on smooth, long strokes and trying to get my breathing calm. About the time I caught-up with the previous wave, I heard a loud POP in my shoulder and then felt the pain from my ear all the way down my side to my hip. It was so bad that I puckered-up in mid kick. The funny thing was that after about 10 single arm strokes, I tried again and it didn't hurt as bad, just not a strong stroke. So, I kept going and just didn't pull as hard when I stroked on the left. That arm motion caused some crazy pulls on my right side and some serious course corrections when sighting but I was able to manage without too many issues other than some VERY slow people in waves ahead of me. I think I swam too hard for the amount of swim training that I have been doing. The bonus of going in the last wave is the lack of spectators going between the swim exit and T1, so it was easy to spot the family (I can always hear then yelling, it's sometimes hard to determine from where).
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I went into T1 quickly for me and got to my helmet and glasses in one motion and then took off with my bike and shoes attached. It was a long run through transition and too the bike mount line that by the time I got there, I was unable to jump on the bike and get into my shoes quickly. It took awhile to get going and then strap the shoes and start peddling.

Run faster, practice getting on bike and in shoes in one motion.
Bike
  • 54m 32s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I tore up this course last year (49 min with a 22mph average)and seemed to have flashbacks of when I was in better cycling shape this year. However, I was not in the shape that I was last year and my shoulder really hurt when I tried to pull on the bars going uphill. I did fine on the straights and downhills but really struggled on the uphills (more than usual). I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed by just getting on the bike for longer rides (and that is definately on the schedule).

Longer and more frequest training rides and more "time-trialing".
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

The reverse of T1, except I was a bit slower with a shoulder that ached.

Run with race belt and hat instead of putting on at my bike. It might save 10 seconds.
Run
  • 38m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I met my family as I exited T2 and started the run and my youngest was yelling at me to "go, go, go" I passed them, then slowed when I heard her catching up to me (she is lightning fast for a 6 year old). After she caught up, I stopped, gave kisses and then started the run section. I started off running at a good pace until swinging my arm became a problem. As soon as I took a walk break and looked at my watch, I knew there was no hope to beat last year's time. So, I slowed down, then started doing jog/walk with a guy that I had been racing with all day. He was another Clydesdale but in the below 40 AG, we did almost identical times in each discipline and ended up tied for the same time at the finish.

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around finding friends and family. Not much stretching or actual cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoulder pain and lack of consistant training.

Event comments:

Once again, this is the best Sprint Triathlon, period. The best swag, period and one of the best courses there are (except for the water temp). I'll keep doing this race as long as I can get in. I just wish there was more we could do in Shreveport and I really wish the race was on Saturday so we could stay the night and "celebrate" after the race.

Last updated: 2007-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 880 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 173/1092
Performance: Average
Suit: TRi-suit
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:32 | 18.2 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/27
Overall: 493/1092
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop through tree lined roads with some rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:34 | 03.11 miles | 12m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/27
Overall: 988/1092
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back in a National Forest with lots of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

2007-08-06 3:57 PM
in reply to: #915376

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

so what was that pop in your shoulder,, old injury, New one?? 

still a pretty good race for you with an injury

2007-08-06 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Solid race with a very nice swim!  Too bad we missed you at the dinner the night before.
2007-08-07 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
awesome job out there, heal up the shoulder and keep on going.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed