General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 14m 43s
Overall Rank = 1779/1789
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 289/289
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15 drank a protien shake, and a Accelerade ate an apple. Got to transition about 5:30 and set up. Everything was sandy and this being my first HIM I choose to leave most of my things in my bag. I did bring a bucket for water to rinse my feet off and this paid off big after the swim! About 6:00 I slamed my NO Explode, put on my wetsuit and hung out with Jeff and Paul until 6:30 then we all headed down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

When we got down to the swim start I swam about 5 min to loosen up. Everything felt good.
Swim
  • 1h 00m 44s
  • 2310 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 14th wave out of 16. Although you would not know it by my time this was the best swim I have had to date! Including training swims! I am just a slow swimmer. I got in a good rhythm right from the start and held it till the end. I stayed as close to the buoys as I could to be able to sight. I never got kicked or climbed over at all.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this off season though I am going to work on speed and stroke work to bring up my time.
Transition 1
  • 09m 10s
Comments:

I decided to take it slow in transition. Being my first HIM I wanted to make sure I did not forget anything. The first thing I did was to take off my wet suit in the water. With all the sand here I think it helped.

Practice transitions more. I did not work on this that much and I know I need work in this area.
Bike
  • 3h 45m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.92 mile/hr
Comments:

About 3 weeks ago I decided to really crank up my training and take a 70 mile training ride to make up for lost time when the furthest I had done was a 56 mile when a few of us came up to Benton Harbor to check out the course. This did more harm then good. I strained my left thigh muscle and it never really healed. After about mile 40 it started hurting. My nutrition stratigy was every 15 min drink sprots drink and on the 30 min eat 1/3 of a powerbar. On the course however there were no powerbars to be seen. Only gels and bananas. I had enough for the ride but it made me start questioning my nutrition. Am I missing something? My thought was eating solid food on the bike and stick to gels on the run but they had it set up the other way around. So I need to completly rethink my nutrition. Jeff and I rode together the whole bike and I know I held him back but he never complained we both wanted someone to talk to on the run since we trained together for so long.

Quite a bit. I think sticking to the training schedule is the first thing. Checking into better nutrition is the biggest though. This really bit me hard later!
Transition 2
  • 08m 14s
Comments:

Again I took t2 slow. I changed socks shirt and took off my bike short, I had tri short under them. Had to pose for a couple of pictures for my wife! The started to run out and realized I forgot my IT Band wrap! My IT band has been bothering my for about a month now and without the wrap I would have been in misery!

Again, pratice this more and learn to set my stuff up better.
Run
  • 3h 11m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, the first 6.5 miles felt good. Jeff and I decided we would run the first mile then walk up the big hill since my IT band had been acting up and his heel had been bothering him. At mile 6.5 everything fell apart for me! My knee was hurting and I started getting cramps in my legs. I was taking Gatoraid at about every aid station and Enderalites as often. I took sponges and tried cooling off with them but nothing was working. At the aid station right after mile 9 my legs cramped up all over! My left hamstring would not let go. I stretched and massaged for what seemed an eternity! It finally loosened up but my butt was kicked! I was able to start a very slow shuffle slightly faster than a walk and as long as I did not take big strides I didn't cramp up. By mile 11 I was done! My knee could not take anymore and I could not get myself to run at all. The remaining aid stations were closing up and I felt like I had to be the last person out there. Jeff had some left in him so I told him to go. The last 2 miles where the most mentally and physiclly challenging I have ever exprienced! I tried to run but could not and the finally turn to the finish seemed like it would never get there! When I did finally make that last turn my wife and kids were waiting and my kids walked accross the finish line with me which was cool.

I need help here. I know I need to do more bike run bricks, but I believe my biggest problem was nutrition. Hints and tips are most welcome!
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line I sat down on a bench and told my wife I was tingling all over. She took me to the medical tent and they took my temp. 94 deg! They said I had hypothermia so they covered me in blankets and hooked me to an IV. I ended up throwing up twice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it was nutrition but I am not sure. I really need help in this area.

Event comments:

First off the volenteers were awsome!! Everyone I ran into was as helpful as they could be! The event was great but the location was bad. Too much sand. You could not sit anywhere without looking like a powdered doughnut!

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:44 | 2310 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/289
Overall: 0/1789
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Johnny
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:45:14 | 56 miles | 14.92 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:11:22 | 13.1 miles | 14m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-07 6:59 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2007-08-07 7:36 AM
in reply to: #915950

User image

Veteran
Oak Lawn, IL
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Great job. Way to hang in thre and finish. i am not sure what is harder. Training for the race or getting the nutrition part down.
2007-08-07 10:47 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
Wow, congratulations man!

I like how you describe the torture of the last miles, I bet now it makes the race feel very special because, you know what? You didn't quit dammit.

I have admiration for the fast athletes that just tear through the course, but I really have tons of respect for those that suffer through it and grit it out. When I was on the second loop coming back I was SO relieved I wasn't one of the people I was crossing, who I know still had like 6+ miles to go. I kept thinking that if I were them and still had so much left to run it would really be a monster struggle. To overcome a situation like that, we'll that's just awesome.

Sit back, relax, you've earned it!

Murph
2007-08-07 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on finishing the course. I was working the first aid staion on the run, and it also was the last aid station on the way back to the finish line. I seen many people like yourself especially on the return trip. I seen all kinds of different nutritions plans by the runners. Some of which I am trying to figure out myself.

For example, the front 3rd runners seemed to be taking some sort of Vitamin pill upon the first running aid station. I am curious to know what that was for educational purposes. I seen people eating sandwiches, gels, powerbars, etc.

Proper nutrition is something I am trying to figure out. I have my first sprint tri in a couple weeks, even though nutrition isnt as big a deal as the HIM. I still need to get proper nutrition for training as well as races.

Once again congrats

Curt
2007-08-07 1:38 PM

Well done - really enjoyed reading this. Your determination to finish was really impressive.

A great experience to take and to build upon

2007-08-07 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Way to stick it out and finish the race.  That takes more guts than anything!  Your nutrition will work out...fear not.

2007-08-08 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Congratulations!!! You started (which most people won't ever do), you learned, and you did what it's all about... you found a way to fight through and finish! Awesome report and awesome job!
2007-08-08 10:16 PM

New user

Great job, bro! It's awesome that you finished, especially feeling the way you did. I know what you mean about the run - it was one of the hardest things I've ever done too. Let's do it again next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed