Houston, Texas
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 17m 48s
Overall Rank = 9/266
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at 5:50 to shove some food and water down, then head out to race site! Which in the 10min drive to there, it started raining. It rained up 15-20min of the race. So it just left us with a steamy day, though the temp was lower then normal atleast.
Event warmup:

Run out to the 1mile marker and back.
Run
  • 17m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this race for the first time with out a watch to see how well I race without. As the results show.. I do pretty well! If I had known I was going to end up in No Mans land for the 2nd half, I may of worn it.

I finished 15 seconds behind the guy in front of me, and I probably had that down to 8-9 seconds before he noticed me and re opened the gap. That was a blow to me and probably made me slow up a bit once I realized I couldn't catch him. Then I had 10-12 seconds on the guy behind me(who had a bunch of guys with him too all within 15 seconds of each other) who I caught and passed just after the turn around.

Overall very good race I knew I was in good running shape and was happy to lower my record by a little bit more even in the South Texas summer heat! :) This coming Fall-spring should see me getting onto the better side of 17:30
What would you do differently?:

Throw in a kick in the last 600m-400m to nip off another 2-5 seconds. But that's hard to do when there is no one to kick against.
Post race
Warm down:

Run out to the 1mile mark and back, and eat a piece of pizza.. or 2 :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No mans land.. I wasn't pushed to my limits.

Event comments:

You're regular local 5k, though I would say this one is better then quite a few others.

Last updated: 2007-08-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:48 | 03.11 miles | 05m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 9/266
Performance: Good
None
Course: Out and back course. This is one of the local races where you can count on the course being accurate!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes