Winding Trails Recreation Assoc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 53s
Overall Rank = 86/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sandwich for lunch at 1:30pm. Nuun on the drive up and a Hammer gel 45 mins before the start.
Event warmup:

Short jog. Swim out to the first buoy and back (200 yds?)
Swim
  • 06m 53s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the week to bite the bullet and start trying to eek extra seconds off my time if I was ever going to get under 1 hr. Had not been wearing the wetsuit as I believed that the time it would gain me on a 1/4 mile swim might only equal the time it would take me to get it off in the TA. I thought at best it might give me a lower HR/more rested condition for the bike. I ran in at the front and got a surprise when a bow wave from all the swimmers running in behind me lifted me up and shot me forward - nice! Last week with no suit was 7:43 / 162 HR at the beach, this week with the w/s was 6:53 / HR 170 but swim felt super smooth. I didn't have to try and float I just concentrated on being long and to stroke slowly and stretched out. Really blown away that I was under 7 mins. Also learnt a good tip about tucking my w/s strap in my armhole to stop it wrapping around my arm.
What would you do differently?:

w/u maybe 100 yds more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This was the test of the net gain from the wetsuit. Last few weeks I have done 1:01, 1:32, 1;00 and with the suit was 1:04.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 25m 32s
  • 5 miles
  • 11.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow - what an awesome ride. For some reason I got aggressive and instead of sitting and plodding in the saddle I worked it out of corners and up the hills to get back up to speed, I flew by people and just had about the best time I've had on a bike in a long, long time.

Bottle that feeling.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Little slower than my usual :30ish - not sure why. Plus I had scored a good spot on the very end of the rack so had loads of space.

Nothing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Left T2 and noticed watch said 34:?? when it usually says 36:?? so although a little worried that maybe I had pushed too hard on the bike, that if I worked hard and focussed on the run I MIGHT get in under the hour. Was catching people and then 2 women that I had smoked on the bike went passed me - what it must feel like to run like that. Anyhow kept working (kind of in that might-not-make-it-under-1hr-and-will-kick-myself-if-the-clock-says-1:01-panicked motivated mode)

Train intervals and generally get faster at running.
Post race
Warm down:

Lake front was closed so couldn't go in. However there are showers here that I didn't know about so did a very short jog and then showered up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. My goal by race 10 of this series was to go sub-1hr. This was race 8 so I'm super psyched. Was only :07 under the hour so might have to accept being slower next week and then pushing really hard on the last week.

Event comments:

Popsicles at the finish - nice! This race has really grown in size this summer. From approx. 100 to now ~150 finishers but the 2 wave start helps that although it doesn't let you see who you are racing against. Still a fab race and a great way to experiment with stuff each week.

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:53 | 440 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR - 170 bpm
Suit: QR Hydrojohn
Course: Rectangle that parallels the beach. 2 waves - split by race number (fairly arbitrary although the hard core/series racers have the #s <150 so go in the first wave.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:32 | 05 miles | 11.75 mile/hr
HR - T1 out=172
Wind:
Course: offroad through the woods
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
mile 1 = 8:39 / 175 bpm, mile 2 = 8:49 / 171 bpm, mile 3 = 7:50. overall race = avg HR 171, max 183 (that is my real max!)
Course: winding undulating trails thru woods
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?