General Discussion Race Reports! » National Capital Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

National Capital Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
Somersault Productions
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 17s
Overall Rank = 53/151
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

I had a few logistical problems with this race and almost didn't make it. My wife was away for the night (last minute) and I had to scramble for a babysitter. Randy across the street was a saviour: I owe him one. I wasn't able to pick up my race kit the night before, so I had to be at the site by 8:00 before later pickup closed. My race didn't start until 10:10 - so I had lost of time to set up and watch the start of the Olympic distance race. I was feeling a bit queasy all morning; I had eaten Shreddies with milk and a piece of teast with peanut butter for breakfast around 7:15. I'll never drink milk before a race again.

I managed to get a really got spot on the rack, right near the bike exit. They seem to have put in more racks this year as there wasn't as much crowding in transition.
Event warmup:

I rode the 5 km to the race site and did a small swim once I had my wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 14m 11s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I finally nailed a swim with confidence. I managed to do the majority of the swim without stopping. I stayed in the main group out to the first buoy and then managed to keep a draft for about half of the rest of the distance. The only time I stopped swimming was to navigate through the opening of the beach limit line. I was too far to the left and got pushed right into it along with the others around me.

T1 was included in the swim time. The run up to transition took about 2 minutes (I had timed it before the race), and I punched the lap button on my Garmin to start a timed transition as soon as I got to my bike. The transition time from my Garmin was 1:19 so with another 2 minutes or so in transition I figure I did the swim in just over 10 minutes ~ 10:52.
What would you do differently?:

So much for the stay back and to the outside strategy. I think I am getting better at swimming in the washing machine with the pack, so next time I'll try to get a little closer to the centre. I ran into quite a few people and would rather not have to pass quite as many again, if I can seed myself better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Unfortunately this race only times in and out on the bike, so transitions are included in your swim and run times. I had timed the run up from the beach at two minutes and set my Garmin on multisport mode so I could punch the lap button and get the rest of the transition timed. My watch showed 1:19 in transition so total time from water out to the bike of 3:19

Get some triathlon specific bike shoes. Mine have two velcro straps and a ratcheting buckle and I am scared to even try leaving the shoes on my bike with shoes like that. I also need to get better at getting the wetsuit off my ankles. In practice I am able to just step on the suit with one foot and pull the other out. In races I seem to be a) dizzy from the swim, and b) to rushed to do it properly. I almost think relaxing and slowing down a bit might help overall.
Bike
  • 39m 34s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.33 km/hr
Comments:

My computer read 21.5 km at 40 minutes for an average of 32.1 kph. Garmin said 20.75. Who knows who is right.

Overall, my bike segment was my only disappointment. I really thought I could go much faster (my goal was somewhere in the 32-34 kph range), although there was a good strong wind. The fastest time was in the 35 kph range, rather than the usual upper 30s, so I guess we were all having a time with the wind. Didn't seem that bad at the time though.

Go faster!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Garmin showed 2:12 - an improvement over last race. I added putting on socks this time so that's a good improvement.

Speed laces would help, and getting my feet back in shape to run sockless.
Run
  • 26m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

The run felt really good and I was strong coming off the bike. My first km was 4:55 and the second was 4:51. Then my Garmin died (completely: I still can't get it to work without being plugged into the power). I managed to keep up the same pace, and I think even up the hill.

When I subtracted the transition time from the run time I was ecstatic - 24:20 - a new personal best time for a 5 km run, and during a triathlon to boot. Love it.

I finished the run strong, sprinted in to the finish, and felt like I still had lots left in me (endurance wise - speed was as fast as I could without popping something.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bagel, two bananas, and two bottles of water and wandered around.

Event comments:

Just one good race can change everything. I had been feeling kind of burnt out with my training and was frustrated with my apparent lack of progress in the swimming and running departments. The race dispelled those thoughts. Now I can't wait to do another race. Unfortunately with Sherry expecting in a few weeks, this was the last race of the season for me. Oh well, what a great season ender, and I'll be on a positive note going into training for next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:11 | 500 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 79/151
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: A single 500m triangular loop with two buoys. The only tricky part is a narrow opening in the beach limit buoy line (a string of painted logs)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:34 | 20 kms | 30.33 km/hr
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 39/151
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:32 | 05 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 67/151
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with a good long hill, about a km long (down out/up back).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-09 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: National Capital Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-10 5:28 AM
in reply to: #920496

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-11 9:02 PM
in reply to: #920496

Subject: RE: National Capital Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon
I'll second that Great Job on the race. Way to end your season with a PR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Capital Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed