General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massage, Yoga, Reiki, etc.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-10 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Gilbert, AZ
Subject: Massage, Yoga, Reiki, etc....
Wow. My first new thread on AZ BT! Do I get a cookie?

I've read about the the powers of stretching, yoga, pilates, [etc] in regards to improving my capabilities as a tri-harder geek.

I'm currently seeing a rolfer [Rolfing] which - I think - has been doing me a lot of good.

Do any of you have experiences with rolfing? If so - please post your positives & your negatives.

In addition, I'm interested in hearing about your other alternate medicine experiences.... [reiki, TM, etc....] and how you feel it helps you or hasn't helped you.

This is an open thread, so even if you don't fall into the narrow categories I've outlined above, please join in and talk about whatever trips your trigger....

TIA!

2007-08-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: #920816

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Massage, Yoga, Reiki, etc....

Yes, I've had experiences with Rolfing. It really helps with making you feel better.

The last time I rolfed though was at my birthday party. Wayyyy too many shots! I don't think it's something you should do ALL the time obviously, because the amount of alcohol needed could have negative effects.

2007-08-10 10:50 AM
in reply to: #920970

User image

Veteran
Gilbert, AZ
cordova61 - 2007-08-10 8:05 AM

Yes, I've had experiences with Rolfing. It really helps with making you feel better.

The last time I rolfed though was at my birthday party. Wayyyy too many shots! I don't think it's something you should do ALL the time obviously, because the amount of alcohol needed could have negative effects.

I'm guessing from your description that you've mostly worked with the Porcelain Bowl and the Calling the Dinosaur schools of rolfing. Do you have any insights on the STFU school?

Okay -seriously - that was a ROFL moment for me!

Hey - we missed you tonight! Did you get lost?! [yes - I already read your excuse - but I'm not buying it]. Come on.... fess up.... you were looking for a BJ when it was actual Butcher Jones... right? lol

later bud

2007-08-10 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA

I've done yoga fairly regularly for the past five years or so. I've always been pretty flexible (five years of gymnastics followed by four years of martial arts will do that do you), so it's a bit hard to comment on that, but what it has helped me with a lot is back pain issues. I have mild scoliosis so if I don't make sure to take care of my back, it'll lock up on occasion and then it's a trip to the chiropractor. Yoga helps with that a lot, as well as stretching (I don't stretch before doing anything, and don't stretch much after), core strength and mental things. If anything, the best thing it's done for me is teach me to control my breath when my body hurts. I tend to focus on my breath when I'm hammering and it does help a LOT. It also teaches you body awareness, so you know where various body parts are when you're doing awkward things like, uhm, swimming. I took yoga classes for 3-4 years, and still go sometimes, but mostly I am just a cheap bastard now and use yogatoday.com. I love yogatoday.com.

I'm a pretty firm believer in massage too. My work brings in a pretty good deep tissue therapist every Tuesday and Friday (she's on vacation this week though, waaaah), and I find that a 15-minute session helps with recovery and just loosening things up. It's not free but it's less than usual rates, so that helps. Every now and then I splurge and get an hour.

Pilates is like a strange core workout where it doesn't feel like you're doing much while you're there, and then two days later you feel like someone punched you in the gut. They also have weird machine contraptions and classes are really expensive. 

2007-08-10 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

ROFL

Ok, now that that's out of the way. I'm a big proponent of the Yoga, not for fitness, but for the mental-to-physical connection practice. You learn so much about your body while trying to find that one muscle to flex or relax in order to get deeper into a pose. Practicing balance and core strength is always helpful, and the stretches bring everything back into alignment after the big workouts.

I used to have a class on Saturday morings that was great day-before race prep. By my standards Yoga isn't a "workout" per se. It's more of a recovery exercise. That said, I'm using the Wednesday Vinyasa class at the Bungalow as a strength workout right now.

Lastly, but not least(ly), if you really get into a session of practice, then the point is to SO occupy the body with the postures that the mind is free to go elseware. There are infinite things to think about in the posture. It's like the theory behind giving an ADD kid ritalin. If you overwhelm the problem (overthinking and tensing through the postures) then the autonomic systems can kick in and let you relax into it. Do that for an hour straight and the final meditation can be excellent mental exercise since at that point the whole body wants nothing to do with you   

2007-08-10 1:46 PM

User image

New user
I couple girls dared some of the guys and I to try yoga, and I was the only one that stepped up to the plate. I found out I actually liked it. Early on, I thought it was akin to athletic stretching with an emphasis on relaxed breathing... later though, I began to see it as very meditative. Both previous posts are correct -- this is not a workout per say, but does require a decent amount of effort and can supplement your training immensely. When the stresses of training mount, the mental focus and relaxation you learn in yoga can really get you through.

I'm more of a '21st century digital boy', so I'm not really into or buying reiki -- but then again, I wasn't really feeling yoga a few years back.

I am very curious about acupuncture... does anyone have any experience with that?

2007-08-10 5:31 PM

User image

Master

I think Yoga is amazing. The Wes. night at the Bungalow Vinyasa class kicks my @ss and I even have a little soreness in muscles I'm not used to using the next couple days.

To be serious about Rolfing...the people at the "Y" made me to go a guy that did that when I was having the back problems. I couldn't believe how good I felt the next day! I tried it again at the place called "massage envy" the day we went up to Flagstaff for Mountain Man, and I'm pretty sure the girl there thought "Rolfing" was something you did when you drank too much.

BIIIIIG difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't. 

2007-08-11 2:33 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
NAME it I have tried it!

I was a Bikram yoga addict for a couple of year (man did I have a hot bod back then!) That's uber HOT yoga though so I am not such a fan now living in the Valley. But I SWEAR by yoga's ability to prevent and HEAL injury. I also like Harry's comments on the mind/ body connection, muy importante.

I do chiropractic regularly - therastim is lovely too! Most chiros will stretch and do massage for you as part of the adjustment.

I do massage regularly - ahhhhh - so worth it. I HATE just 'regular' swedish massage, only sports specific and in the areas I need it.

I have done accupuncture a multitude of times for injuries and ailments, think its fabulous as well!

I am VERY injury prone so anything that will keep me moving forward and not on the couch I am up for. I honestly have not run into anything yet that I find a hoax or noth worth it. In fact I wish I devoted more time to these.

I have a "stick" roller too that I like for self masasge.

I need to look more into ROLFING! Who do you see?

Edited by sportyj 2007-08-11 2:35 AM
2007-08-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: #922026

Pro
AZ

sportyj - 2007-08-11 12:33 

I have a "stick" roller too that I like for self masasge. QUOTE]

Um.....that just struck me as really funny, and not really applying to yoga and such. WAIT!!!!  THAT'S what you two were buying when you tried to get up -old at the cash register!!!!

HAHAHA!  Sorry...couldn't help myself!

2007-08-11 10:28 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Tanya - get your mind outta the gutter girl!!! That does come across as bad "self massage" HE HE!!!

OH GOSH when I googled it the first things that came up were items you would be purchasing at Hustler that is for sure!!! *red face*

2007-08-12 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Gilbert, AZ
Thanks for all of the responses. Sorry I started this & then was offline for a bit. I had planned to do the 10AM Sports Yoga this morning (Sunday) but opted for sleep instead.

But I do think I'm going to start doing Yoga at the Bungalow. I could use the mental & physical improvements.

Jen: I've been going to The Rolfing Studio in Tempe [downtown on Mill]. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=rolfing+studio+...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massage, Yoga, Reiki, etc.... Rss Feed