Wilkes-Barre Triathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 34s
Overall Rank = 26/223
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5AM. Bagel w/ PB and coffee for breakfast. Brad & Kristin picked up Laura and I from my parents house around 6AM. Since this was a point-to-point bike, we have two transiation areas. We drove up to PSU-Lehman and setup our T2. Loaded a bus and were up at Harvey's Lake shortly after 7. Pumped up tires and added nutrition to bike.

Sucked on some HEED throughout the morning and then had Gu about 15min prior to swim start.
Event warmup:

Swam for about 5min in the lake.
Swim
  • 26m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since the water temp was 80, it wasn't wetsuit legal. Brad and I were in the last wave...15min behind Kristin and Laura. We counted the number of blue caps to see how many were in our AG. Our AG had 13 whereas the wave had ~40ppl once you included other AGers. I started right on the water's edge and right before the gun wet off Brad pointed out one of the guys in our AG that looked like a good swimmer. After we started, I tried to get with the lead group, but within 200M they were prob 20-25M clear. The water was clear so drafting was made easier. I found a group of 4-5 guys that I drafted with for a few minutes...they were starting to slow at about the same time a single guy was approaching....I jumped out of the group and passed on the left while the other single passed on the right. I caught his heels and drafted off of him for the remainder of the out portion, the cross portion and all the way back in...literally drafted off this one guy for about 1000M. I did try passing him two or three times but each time I could only pull even or slightly ahead and it wasn't worth the effort so I'd fall back and fall-in. He slowed during the last 50 or so when the weeds got into our faces so I ended up beating him out by a couple of seconds.

My best drafting race by far.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Avg/Max: 164/169

Took off cap and goggles as I ran, threw them in my T1 bag, put on sunglasses and helmet wiped feet on towel and then threw that in the T1 bag. Hesitated b/c I felt I was forgetting something but shoes were already on the bike.

Not wipe my feet. To exit transition, I had to cross grass, dirt and then rocks...the towel was a waste of time.

Not hestitate....I'll put on my shoes in transition for longer races...so that was the feeling of incompleteness in T1.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Official results had my pace at 21.9 (meaning the course was longer than 40km) although my computer was less than 21. (meaning I registered less than 40km). My bike computer is wireless and cuts out occassionally but still strange to see that much disparity.

I rode this course about a month ago and then drove it again the day prior to the race. I knew it pretty well and knew I could push it on some of the hills b/c there were long gradual downhills that allowed for some recovery before the next climb. Only the last ~2mi climb did I go at a more steady pace since I knew there was no recovery time before the run.

I pushed a steady pace (avg HR was z4), but felt strong. Being in the last wave allowed for a lot of passing....no idea how many ppl I passed but I am pretty sure no one passed me. I saw kristin around mile 9 and commented on her aero helmet before continuing on. I then passed my family, brad's family and Laura's family on a climb around mile 13. I didn't see anyone else until about mile 22 where I passed Stephanie, a fellow HRC team member.

NUTRITION:
~3/4 bottle of HEED (or 210cal)
1 hammer gel (90cal)

Nothing really. I was happy with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

It was tough to get my feet out and on my bike shoes as the bike course ended uphill. They had volunteers at the dismount line and they called out your number as you approached. Then volunteers in T2 heard the number and would guide you to your spot...sweet!!!

Forgot to put out a towel here. Left it in my bag.
Run
  • 53m 50s
  • 6.84 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the course started off with 2mi downhill...so keeping the pace here shouldn't be too hard. I saw my sister's friend Sam right before mile 1. Pace was good for first two miles. Miles 3 and 4 were mostly uphill and my pace suffered a bit. I could start feeling the beginning of a blister at this point as I chose not to wear socks. No biggie, since the distance was short enough that it didn't really effect my pace at all. Around mile 5 there was an older couple serving water from their front yard....never seen that before. Saw my sister's friend Sam again at mile 6 and then gave one final push as I climbed the last mile home. Saw all our family members and friends again as I approached the finishing chute and I crossed just outside of 2:30.

I got passed by a dozen or so ppl on the run, but most were relay. I didn't realize it but I was in third up until ~1.5mi to go...at that point I got passed by a guy in my AG. Unfortunately, I didn't know he was in my AG as they didn't put our ages on our calf. Actually thought he was older since Brad and I thought numbers were divied out alphabetically by AG and this guys number was 208 (I was 200 and Brad 201). I would have liked to tried to keep pace with him, but that definitely would have been tough and I prob wouldn't have been able to keep up since he ran 1min/mi faster than me. Woulda been fun to try though!

I took water at every aid station except for the last one.

NUTRITION:
2x hammer gel (180cal)

Need to become a better runner to b/c a serious AGer, but on this run I don't think there was much I could have done to run faster. Maybe coulda picked up the pace a bit earlier...mile 5 or 6.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to find out family and friends. Watched Laura and Brad finish and then got a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was very happy with the race. Short of more specific short/oly distance training, not sure what I could have done to finish faster. Maybe could/should have sprinted the swim start really hard to find a faster person to draft off of. Maybe could have pushed the last 2mi in the bike harder and prob should have pushed harder on the run starting at mile 5 or 6.

Event comments:

I liked this race a lot. Will certainly like to keep this race as an annual staple since it's well-run, close to my parents and the best deal ever for a race.

PROS
- $65 entry fee
- tons of great volunteers (including those in T2)
- tons of water stations (1 on bike and 5-6 on run)
- great massage therapist to participant ratio (no wait!)
- Full locker room/shower facility on site (nice for those who have to travel home)
- well-run...no issues with two transition areas

CONS
- started 5min late
- no age marked on calf
- post race activity was nothing exciting...and they broke things down quickly

Last updated: 2007-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:42 | 1500 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 38/223
Performance: Good
Avg/Max: 155/166
Suit: None
Course: Lake swim. No chop. Slight current on way back. 700M out. 100M across. 700M back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:25 | 24.85 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 24/223
Performance: Good
Avg/Max: 159/171
Wind: None
Course: Point to point, with a net elevation change of no more than 5-10feet, but it was hilly. Pretty much up or down the whole race but nicer longer stretches so it didn't feel that rolling.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:50 | 06.84 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 59/223
Performance: Average
Mile splits w/ AHR 1 7:11 162; 2 7:18 161; 3 7:53 162; 4 8:14 163; 5 7:34 162; 6 7:50 163; 6+ 7:53 167 Office results had my pace at 7:49. Course may have been long and almost certainly mile markers were off a bit. (esp. the last 0.84) Max HR for run: 177
Course: Hilly course w/ about limited shade. About 1.5mi on gravel. Lollipop shape. Go out <1mi, do a large ~5mi loop, and then <1mi back to finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-10 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Wilkes-Barre Triathlon

2007-08-10 10:55 AM
in reply to: #920962

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Wilkes-Barre Triathlon
You had an excellent race. Way to be tactical and draft on the swim to save some energy.

I think you've found your distance. I'd love to see what you can do at an OLY pre-Ironman. You were so close to that AG place, and no doubt you will get it soon enough. You looked very strong when you passed me on the run.

2007-08-10 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
congrats on a great race. maybe you can give nate a lesson or two on tranistioning - or trannying as he calls it
2007-08-11 9:11 AM

User image

New user

westtown, pa
I'd say they broke things down early. K was barely in and they were taking down the fencing around the bikes! There were still bikes in there - that seemed a bit extreme to me.
2007-08-11 12:52 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Fantastic race!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilkes-Barre Triathlon Rss Feed