General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-10 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Subject: Piriformis Syndrome?
Has anyone had piriformis syndrome?

Symptoms-pain in the deep glute area when running (both push off and bringing the leg forward for the plant). Radiates from the glute area out to the hip.

I can trace the cause back to new shoes (Kayano update). Didn't have any problems with the previous model.

Should I even be attempting to run?

My two sprint tris are coming up in August and September. Help!

2007-08-10 4:36 PM
in reply to: #921186

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Piriformis Syndrome?

I don't think what I experience from time to time is really "Piriformis Syndrome" mostly because I don't get any radiating pain or issues with my Siatic Nerve. I remains pretty local to my butt.

For me at least, my piriformis can and will experience fatigue from time to time and seems to be irritated more by beach running for some reason. (Beach Running in Shoes but not barefooted)

In addition to regular ice baths and self massage; I use ART to help work out the kinks. I sit on a tennis ball and roll it around until it hits just the right spot and hold it there until the pain subsides.

I have since named my tennis ball "Wilson" and he goes everywhere with me. (Although I have yet to paint a face on him) Sort of my little "Fuzzy Headed Orb of Relief"

Also great for massaging the foot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome? Rss Feed