General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extra shoes in SN run bag?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-10 2:43 PM

User image

Subject: Extra shoes in SN run bag??

This may be a totally stupid question...... but.... I sweat.  A lot.  Buckets.  So much so that my shorts and shirt stay continually wet, and it runs down my legs.  Even in cool weather.  I did a two hour run yesterday starting at 5:30 a.m., never get above say 65, and I was s o a k e d.

IMAZ 2008.  I will definitely put socks in the SN bag, but my shoes will likely be soaked by mile 13 (they were still damp this morning from yesterday's run).  Not to mention probably pouring a couple cups of water over my head.  Even if it's getting on nighttime.  Not sure what good it will do putting dry socks under wet shoes.

Anyone ever put shoes in the SN bag?  I know it's likely I wouldn't see them if I don't use them, or the shoes I take off if I do, ever again.  That's no big deal

2007-08-10 2:45 PM
in reply to: #921557

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Extra shoes in SN run bag??
The only thing you might have to worry about is the fact that your feet swell sometimes as much as half a shoe size. Make sure you practice doing it and that your feet go back into the shoe after they come out!
2007-08-12 1:46 AM

User image

I did put extra shoes and socks in my run SN for both ironman races i did.  Used them both times even though I thought I might not.  The way I look at it, unless you are competing for a Kona slot, the time you lose changing shoes is really not a big deal (2min 37 sec, I timed it at IMLP).  For me, the wet socks and shoes were not the only issue, but also the psychological boost I got from a fresh new pair of shoes and socks was HUGE.  I felt like a new man

As far as getting them back, both times I did the first half of the marathon with a pair that was basically approaching the end of their life and I put a relatively newer pair (well broken in, of course) in the SN bag.  At CDA I did not get back the shoes, at LP I did.

2007-08-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: #922492

User image

Hartland, Wisconsin
Question: This will be my 1st IM and I got the impression that the SN bag was for disposable stuff, like food. If you changed your shoes I presume you were able to recover your original pair. How does that work? Is there a place to pick up the SN bags after the race?
2007-08-13 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Have you ever tried coating your feet in bodyglide?  Just put it everywhere.  Especially between the toes.  I've done 8-hour ultramarathons with wet feet from running through mud early in the race.  The body glide is wonderful for stopping blisters. 

2007-08-14 6:58 AM
in reply to: #923865

User image

There is no guarantee that you will get anything rom the bag back.  I never got my shoes back at CDA.  I got my bag the nxt morning at the SN bag pickup, but the shoes had been looted.  AT LP, I went to th SN bag area the after the race (same evening) and got everything back.  I guess it just depends.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extra shoes in SN run bag?? Rss Feed