General Discussion Race Reports! » Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hobart, Wisconsin
United States
Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = walkers
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 7:30 and did absolutely everything I haven't done in the past almost two years because I was walking this race and just wanted to be like the other people and not like a triathlete/runner. I put on my running shorts and shoes cuz I do need to take care of my feet but I put on my race tee shirt which was cotton and pinned my number to it, put on my normal watch instead of my garmin...which was a mistake and didn't eat breakfast and headed over to the race which was actually only about a mile away. But the really important thing was that we were going as a family to support a great cause.
Event warmup:

Does walking around the dog count...because it really was only a two mile walk so like how much warm up could you really need? :)
Run
  • 43m 17s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 17m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt good to not be under the pressure to do the 4 mile jaunt and wear that time chip but I missed it a bit. I was nice to walk with the family and just take our time and enjoy the environment. The hills were insane! But we did well and survived and actually made it back to almost the park before the Marines in full boots and unis got back from the four miler...pretty awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Wear my garmin... that course was way longer than 2 miles but we don't know for sure!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching and got some food pretty quickly afterwards....drank a whole bottle of water. Didn't need much of a cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing because I am actually doing a lot of walking in training for the MS Challenge walk! I wish however I was doing some running...it would have been nice to do the 4 mile but it was nice not to have that pressure!

Event comments:

Again this was an awesome race for a great cause. We had 8 parachuters bring in the American flag and I guess the medals were specially designed. It was nice to honor Ryan today. On a funny note...they used red towels at the end to hand to people to cool off and people were putting them around their necks. Well they hadn't soaked them before and you could tell who had put one around their neck because not only was their necks red but also their tee shirts...made everyone literally look like a bunch of rednecks :) hahaha But it was a great race!

Last updated: 2007-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:17 | 02.5 miles | 17m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: There and back from Four Seasons Park to the Jerabek's house and back again through some crazy huge hills!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-11 5:11 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge

2007-08-20 8:53 PM
in reply to: #922296

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: RE: Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge
Nice event.  Did you know Ryan Jerabek?   I assume he was an Iraq casualty.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge Rss Feed