General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-08-11 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon
Hi everyone!  Okay so who wants to kick my butt and get me going and training so I can complete that crazy hilly course?  How is everyone doing?

Pam

2007-08-11 9:09 PM
in reply to: #922298

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon
Hi Pam! This is my first summer completing a triathlong (Minneman) but with a hybrid bike. 13 miles on it was fine but 22 would be too much. My husband and I looked at entry level Trek road bikes and I think I have him talked into my need for one (it's a need right??? :-)

That being said, my plan is to sign up for it. I will let you know in the next day or two. I would be fun to have someone to share training stories with. So the course is hilly?

2007-08-11 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

hey there,

For any ride over 15 you should get a nice beautiful bike.  I actually have a Trek WSD 1500 and it is pretty blue and I love it to death.  So a good bike is a must.

As for the hills,  I think others would agree with me that there are certainly some challenging hills.  It is a double loop so you repeat the hills and they are harder the second time   There are some flat areas and well of course everything that goes up must come down so there are some fast downhills too...i think I almost it 30 last year.  

Good luck with that bike!

Keep me updated  

2007-08-11 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
I have been watching eBay, Craig's List, and all of the local bike shops. I am most likely going to buy the 2007 Trek 1000 WSD. I'll keep you update and hopefully sign up for it next week. What did you put on for pedals?
2007-08-12 7:20 AM

User image

Elite
It's hard to shell out the money for a good bike, at first.  Once you realize how much a good bike augments your training you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.  It really is an investment in yourself.  Shop around, fall in love with a bike and then bring it home.  Best of luck to all of you at Irongirl.
2007-08-12 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hey,

I have clips and then shoes that clip into the peddles.  It took a while to get use to having your foot attached but it really does help your power and speed.  I made the decision based that I would probably be doing this for a while and I wanted to get good with the best equipment I could.  Think about it and make the best decision for what you want to do.  Good luck with getting that bike!

2007-08-12 2:30 PM

User image

Canton, Mi

Hilly????  Oh, no, that is NOT what I needed to hear!  What about the run?  Please say flat, please say flat....

I've been running and biking and running and biking and doing fartleks and making sure to do strength training..... oh, and some swimming there, too, since i've got a tri in 2 weeks.

Ann in Michigan

2007-08-12 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hey Ann,

Yea...the bike is hilly.  But the run really isn't.  It is around a lake so there is a little bit of up and down but compared to the bike it is nothing.  And the thing even better about the run is it is only a two mile course   There is nothing to complain about there

Pam

2007-08-12 8:01 PM

User image

Canton, Mi

UGH!  Thanks for the warning.  I've not incorporated any hill training into my biking.  I'll have to change that soon!  I'm glad the run is flat, and yes, 2 miles is FABOO.

Ann

2007-08-12 10:13 PM
in reply to: #922522

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Mndiver,

Thanks for the word of advice about the bike. I'm sure once I get one I will wonder why I waited. I guess you competed at Turtleman on Saturday. I have met Sal who said you were there. He's the only one I met in person so far from the BT group. Quite funny how I met him out of the blue at Calhoun one day. I will let you know what I end up getting. If I do, I will be competing in Iron Girl and probably St. Croix (Sprint). Have you done that one yet?
2007-08-13 8:02 AM
in reply to: #923102

User image

Elite

teachertrek - 2007-08-12 10:13 PM Mndiver, Thanks for the word of advice about the bike. I'm sure once I get one I will wonder why I waited. I guess you competed at Turtleman on Saturday. I have met Sal who said you were there. He's the only one I met in person so far from the BT group. Quite funny how I met him out of the blue at Calhoun one day. I will let you know what I end up getting. If I do, I will be competing in Iron Girl and probably St. Croix (Sprint). Have you done that one yet?

I never knew you were there until I read Sal's report, sorry I missed you.  Other than the post race eating one of my favorite thing about triathlons is meeting all the great B.T'ers at the races.  If you can only know one B.T'er I would have to say Sal would be a awfully good choice though.  I have not done St. Croix yet and really haven't heard much about it.  Good luck on both if you decide to go for it.  It's been a fun year for tri's so make sure you do a race report if you do either, I always like reading them and seeing how people do.  Plus, next year you can go back and read the race report and compare it to how well you did the following year.

Edited by mndiver 2007-08-13 8:04 AM

2007-08-13 10:48 AM

User image

I'm doing this race - my first... very nervous!

I'm excited too though.

I looked into getting a road bike, but instead just put slicks on my hybrid and end bars - it feels pretty good.

I have been biking nearly every day - trying to put between 50-70 miles a week on my bike and running three miles three-four times a week - and doing the bike/run run/bike thing - is this enough training? I do a long ride on the weekends between 15-20 miles and then go for a three mile run - but will this get me through the race? I have been doing this for the last three - four weeks and still have about six weeks left.

I hope that this will get me hooked and next year do tris!
2007-08-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: #923632

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi all.  I did this last year (and am signed up again).  Yep, the course is hilly.  I mapped the route, if you want to look at the elevation:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=24501

There are a couple of real doozies.  But the last downhill right at the end of the loop is AWESOME.  I think I managed something in 36-37 range.    But I am a daredevil on the bike and knew the course. 

The run is pretty easy and the mob will carry you through the first two miles.  There are many new racers who do this race, so passing is a challenge on the bike and will keep you very busy on the first loop (and you new guys - stay to the right if you're getting passed!).

I have a Trek 1000 WSD that I bought shortly before this race last year and installed my new aerobars the weekend before the race.  I know not everyone can do this, but it helped me significantly and I still love that darn bike.  Highly recommended.  Although if I could have afforded the 1500 I sure would have bought that. 

I am tentatively planning a trip to ride the course on August 25th.  When that firms up, I'll let everyone know so you can join if possible.

And Bryan, thanks for your support   Is Kelly going to race this one?

2007-08-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #923822

User image

Elite

[nd Bryan, thanks for your support   Is Kelly going to race this one?

No, Kelly is done for the year.  She is not a hot weather racer and gets burned out around this time of the year.  I think Turtleman was actually one race too many for her.  She and the kids are going to go down to Iowa and jockstrap for me at Pigman though.

2007-08-15 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Oops - I thought it was flat...time to hit the hills!!!
2007-08-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #926637

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I hope everyone has signed up that was planning too.  Registration is now closed, unless you go the charity route. 

2007-08-15 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Okay...I waited until I made sure I was going to purchase a road bike-Done that last night. Went to sign up today and it's closed. I don't think I want to go the charity route. Bummer. Guess I thought I had more time than that. Bummer :-(
2007-08-15 2:01 PM
in reply to: #927051

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Bummer!  At least the money would be going to the bridge fund...  Next year you'll have to sign up for sure

2007-08-15 6:55 PM

User image

Canton, Mi

I succumbed to the pressure to buy CUTE Iron Girl paraphernalia - had to get the shirt that said "My wife is an Iron Girl"! (Not for me, of course) And the mug.  I love big mugs.  Also the shirt that is for the mother.  I know she would wear it, so while I was spending willy nilly, I threw that in, too.  It's a good thing that I'm not excited.

Ann, doing some hills any minute now

2007-08-16 8:22 AM
in reply to: #927564

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
That's awesome shopping!  Are you in Michigan?  You're coming for the race?
2007-08-16 10:25 AM

User image

Canton, Mi

Yes, I'm in Michigan.  I came in for the Lifetime Fitness race, too - I have family in Apple Valley.  I saw this race 2 years ago (said family had entered), before I even thought I would ever do anything in this vein - it was the first race I saw.  It seemd like a good race to do, based on that.  And the fact that there is no swimming.  I'm rather bad at the swimming.  no swimming is VERY attractive!

Ann

2007-08-16 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
For any of you locals, the Minnesota Tri Club is offering two training sessions on this course. Lauren Fithian (an awesome ultra distance cyclist and triathlete) is organizing this. I think if you go to http://www.mntriclub.com(or .org??), it should be on that webpage!
2007-08-17 3:13 PM

User image

Canton, Mi

If anyone goes, it would be very helpful if you would post some tips for the course.  Especially for people who might live in, I don't know, Michigan (hypothetically)!

Thanks,

Ann

2007-08-17 4:12 PM
in reply to: #929895

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've rode the course a few times last year, in addition to the race itself.  I will try to summarize what I remember:

Run:  Pretty flat, super short so go for it!  Water stop at mile 1.  For the second lap, expect to pick up the pace when you leave the tree coverage because there are big crowds and you need to look good - ha ha.  But lots of nice tree coverage around the lake, so you can get a breather.

Bike:  (no water on course)

First left along North side of lake is pretty flat and nice.  Take a chance to get a good position. 

First right turn (East of lake) starts a long section.  There is a hill right away, but it's not killer.  It starts a span of ups and downs, and the downs usually lead you to an intersection.  During the race these will be marshalled and if you're in a group, they will likely let you go through.  If you're alone, you'll probably be stopped to let traffic through.

Right turn at end of Normandale as you follow Auto Club Rd around.  This is a nice flattish part with just a few rolls and curves.

There's a weird right turn into a housing development, which is hard to see if you're on your own.  So keep out the map.  Of course you can just follow the crowd during the race.

Eventually you head north on East Bush Lake road.  The bike lane is narrower and the cars come close.    There is one final BIG hill (def a hill, not a roller) before you get back to Chalet Road.  You will be able to go very fast down this, and take the opportunity if you can to gain momentum up to Chalet.  

There are two places with railroad tracks and they cover them with plywood for the race.  I think this is crazy and they had people with bullhorns yelling to warn you.  It sounds like gibberish at speed.  Just be careful.   They are perfectly fine to ride over on a training ride, so I have no idea why they do that.

Repeat

After your second lap you will turn into Chalet and down to transition.  It's a short ride to the bike dismount, so I would start getting out of my shoes (if you do that) after the last turn.

Any other kind of information you're looking for?  I think the most valuable thing is sticking with a group while on the Normandale portion.  Stopping at a light, and then ascending from a stop, would be very bad.   You can ride up these hills at a decent clip, they aren't too brutal. 

2007-08-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #930017

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I'm just happy to know that the run is flat. I'm a crappy runner (and I'm rehabbing a knee injury, so I walk a good chunk of any run), so this should help
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon Rss Feed  

of 3