General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-11 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: My first DNF
Today I suffered what feels to be a major blow .. I had to DNF a race.
I am new to triathlon, had an awesome time doing my first sprint 2 months ago and was on a relay team for a long race last month .. training was going well, I was loving being a triathlete, and was really looking forward to today's race and ending my first season on a high note.
But shortly after beginning the swim, which was an ocean-swim, I had a panic attack which set off a very bad asthma attack and I just knew I wouldn't be able to continue on. I haven't had an asthma attack this severe in 10 years! I'm not sure why this happened, it could be that although I'm used to open water swims I don't have much experience in the cold ocean water.

Now I am disappointed, embarrased, and quite upset with myself. Has anyone else experienced this? I love this sport, I'm determined not to let it hang over my head, but now I have to wait till next season to make it up to myself. Please tell me I get over it.

2007-08-11 5:40 PM
in reply to: #922301

Subject: RE: My first DNF
You will get over it. I had a DNF in my first OLY last year. Blew a tire about 200 meters into the race and I couldn't fix it. The best advice I got was to sign up for the next event I could. Luckily there was a local sprint the next week that I signed up for and was feeling much better when I was done.

So that empty feeling will disappear.
2007-08-11 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I have heard a big step to getting over it is jumping right into another race .. but there isn't one in my area until next spring!
2007-08-11 5:54 PM
in reply to: #922308

User image

SpiritFire - 2007-08-11 6:44 PM

I have heard a big step to getting over it is jumping right into another race .. but there isn't one in my area until next spring!

where are you from? I thought after my first triathlon that there weren't anymore around me either but after doing some digging I found a ton of them...
2007-08-11 6:22 PM

User image

Woodland Park, CO
Look at it this way, DNF is better than DNS, AND now you have your first DNF out of the way.

It happens to the best of us - you'll get over it and you'll be better prepared next time. Training for triathlon is a process - you didn't miss out on that - just the finale. No need to be embarrassed - you cannot help a medical condition.

Great job doing your best! We look forward to hearing about your next race!!
2007-08-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: #922324

Expert
Fort Bragg
DITTO. DFL > DNF > DNS. I almost DFLd in my first try. I threw up about 7 times. I gagged on some phlegm and red gatorade made me sick. So I poked through it. I was out all by myself, so I figured I had to finish or I'd be stuck.

It's like riding a bike, just get back on. Besides, look at the rest of the world. They didn't even think about showing up.

You're doing great!

Steve

wannabeatrier - 2007-08-11 7:22 PM

Look at it this way, DNF is better than DNS, AND now you have your first DNF out of the way.

It happens to the best of us - you'll get over it and you'll be better prepared next time. Training for triathlon is a process - you didn't miss out on that - just the finale. No need to be embarrassed - you cannot help a medical condition.

Great job doing your best! We look forward to hearing about your next race!!

2007-08-11 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

SpiritFire - 2007-08-11 6:30 PM  Now I am disappointed, embarrased, and quite upset with myself. Has anyone else experienced this? I love this sport, I'm determined not to let it hang over my head, but now I have to wait till next season to make it up to myself. Please tell me I get over it.

You have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.  Hold your head high! You have the chutzpah to sign up for a triathlon and then dedicated an incredible amount of your time training for it.  So what it didn't go as planned...that doesn't diminish all your training, commitment and dedication.  Learn from your experience and you'll be back stronger than ever (physically & mentally). 

As a side note:  Thanks for posting this, because for me, it tells me despite how much we prepare: to expect the unexpected.

Thanks and look around, I bet there's another race somewhere.

2007-08-12 4:27 PM

User image

SpiritFire, there aren't any more triathlons on the island this year, but if you can make it across to Vancouver, there's the Vancouver triathlon on the Labour Day long weekend.  The swim is in the ocean, but it's much warmer than at Cadboro Bay.  They offer a sprint distance too.

Alternatively, there's the Kelowna Apple tri next weekend (August 18/19).  Warmer lake swim, mostly flat course and offers olympic and sprint distances.  Requires a bit more travel though.

And about the DNF, don't worry about it.  Happens to a lot of folks.  I DNF'd by choice this year due to injury.  Just get back out there and get another race under your belt. 

2007-08-12 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

I had my first DNF this week - well into my third year into triathlons.  (Just sayin', it happens even if you're not a newbie.)  Like you, I felt a little like I let myself and my teammates down, but later I reframed the experience into a training day.  I learned what I could do differently, what I needed to work on.  If you can't find other triathlons in your area for this year, give yourself another challenge to work on, say a new running distance in a race, or hiking up a mountain, or another open water swim (with friends!). 

Get outfitted with an inhaler from your Dr. and start finding that next race! 

2007-08-12 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

you had a physical malady - no shame in stopping.   Would you be embarrassed if you had a broken bone?  

YOu might find another race - maybe some fall runs?  stay in the game.

2007-08-12 5:23 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

There is nothing to be embarrassed about!  Some things are out of your control and asthma attacks are one of those things.  I hope you are feeling better now and aren't still haven't problems.

Stick with it and try to go back out when you are feeling better.  Look for a fall run and try that. 

2007-08-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: #922816

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Vaiza - 2007-08-12 4:27 PM

SpiritFire, there aren't any more triathlons on the island this year, but if you can make it across to Vancouver, there's the Vancouver triathlon on the Labour Day long weekend.  The swim is in the ocean, but it's much warmer than at Cadboro Bay.  They offer a sprint distance too.

Alternatively, there's the Kelowna Apple tri next weekend (August 18/19).  Warmer lake swim, mostly flat course and offers olympic and sprint distances.  Requires a bit more travel though.

Thanks everyone for their kind words - helps to know I'm not alone in this! I can't get to the mainland for any races this year because of my work schedule (shiftwork) but I am registered for the Royal Victoria (Half) Marathon so will focus on that. ;-)
2007-08-12 5:57 PM
in reply to: #922857

User image

Buttercup

I know of people who are very committed to their training but still have OW demons and/or setbacks. It happens. In your case, having asthma is a double whammy. I know when I've hopped into cold water to swim, it's knocked the breath out of me.

Shake it off. Tain't a thing to be embarassed about.

Were you wearing a wetsuit? I am a life-long swimmer and wetsuits make me feel claustrophobic; feels like I can't breathe. Takes practice and mental discipline. And practice. Oh, and a bit of practice.

You'll get there!

Edited by Renee 2007-08-12 5:59 PM
2007-08-12 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
The only real loss would be to not learn from the experience.

I had a great race today and had the opportunity to help another racer see that obstacles and the unexpected are part of the spirit of triathlon. Unfortunately, sometimes those obstacles prevent us from finishing or having the race go down the way we dreamed it would.

And KUDOS to you for getting yourself out safely! (I assume you let the rescue people get you out of the water.) It could have been much worse if you had started drowning, etc. This should be fun and if you know you are having a real problem, you need to get to safety.

You have plenty of work in front of you. I suggest you search for an OWS clinic early next season. Even a bay or ocean one. Will help you get back in the swing in a safe, calm setting.

Best of luck to you!
2007-08-13 1:10 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Sounds like it's time to take a roadtrip, to get another race in this year.

Sunny San Diego has a couple more Sprint Tri's left this year......

http://www.kozenterprises.com/site3.aspx

Whether you race again this year, or next year, it will be sweet getting that next race done.  We look forward to hearing all about it !!!!

Danny 

Edited by dhyte 2007-08-13 1:12 PM
2007-08-13 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, Indiana

Had my 1st DNF this year (2 flats).  I will say the only DNF in 20 years of racing.  If  When you race as many years as I have you will have problems, but some you just cannot overcome.  Do a road trip for another tri.

2007-08-13 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
No worries, just tri again.  If you're near Victoria, hop the fast boat to Seattle, then over to Kirkland in September for the Kirkland Sprint Tri.  The swim is in Lake Washington. http://www.racecenter.com/kirklandtri/ 
2007-08-19 4:47 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
I was totally thinking about you today. I had my first OWS. I started getting into the groove around 400 meters. Then the second wave ran me over. Two guys went over the top of me and I paniced. I almost started punching people but knew that wasn't right. I swam out of the lane and held onto the bouy. Then a lifeguard came over and cheered me up. Thankfully I recovered and finished. I didn't even DFL. My last two events were actually pretty good. Except for having a sick stomach from that lake water.

SpiritFire - 2007-08-11 6:30 PM

Today I suffered what feels to be a major blow .. I had to DNF a race.
I am new to triathlon, had an awesome time doing my first sprint 2 months ago and was on a relay team for a long race last month .. training was going well, I was loving being a triathlete, and was really looking forward to today's race and ending my first season on a high note.
But shortly after beginning the swim, which was an ocean-swim, I had a panic attack which set off a very bad asthma attack and I just knew I wouldn't be able to continue on. I haven't had an asthma attack this severe in 10 years! I'm not sure why this happened, it could be that although I'm used to open water swims I don't have much experience in the cold ocean water.

Now I am disappointed, embarrased, and quite upset with myself. Has anyone else experienced this? I love this sport, I'm determined not to let it hang over my head, but now I have to wait till next season to make it up to myself. Please tell me I get over it.
2007-08-19 5:35 PM

New user

I also had a DNF today in my first ever tri. Although I have been swimming (probably not enough), it was all in a pool. I made it half way to the first bouy and had a major panic attack - wish I had practiced OWS. The race directors were very nice and let me "unofficially" do the bike and run portions so I at least got the feel of transitions and running right after a hard bike.

I am soooo disappointed. I really wanted tri to be my thing but now I'm not so sure. I am encouraged, however, that those who know what it takes to even start a triathlon are so supportive. Maybe my next stab at it will be a pool tri in the Spring.

2007-08-19 5:41 PM
in reply to: #922837

User image

Master
bootygirl - 2007-08-12 6:16 PM

you had a physical malady - no shame in stopping.   Would you be embarrassed if you had a broken bone?  

Exactly. There are a lot of things within your control, but athsma is not. As others have said, you must have learned from this event about how to better prepare for next time. Your body's ready, you've done the training. It's time to get back on that horse.

2007-08-19 6:22 PM

User image

Master

I've done an OWS every week for the past 4 months, and for the weirdest reason, had a panic attack during a race last month! Took me a couple minutes to get my breathing slowed down so I could continue. You have asthma though. Getting your breathing back under control probably isn't going to happen.

All the pounding, cold water, and adrenaline affected you.

You're fine. Our minds just do stupid things sometimes, but it's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. The only people who should be embarrassed are the one's who never get off their couches.

Edited by cordova61 2007-08-19 6:24 PM

2007-08-19 8:30 PM

User image

Twin Cities, MN
Like everyone has said, no need to be embarrassed. You know more, you'll train more, and you "tri" again. I had a similar situation last week during my first Oly, where I had a panic attack on the run, and almost had an asthma attack because of it (I hate being asthmatic!) I also ended up dry heaving/throwing up in my mouth numerous times throughout all three events. These challenges just make us have to work a little harder and push on. Continue your good work, and don't give up on yourself or the sport
2007-08-19 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I'm just glad you're OK; a panic attack + asthma attack rivaling the worst you've seen in a decade **During a swim** is scary stuff.  Even if you could still touch down, wow, that's not the way to feel in the water.  You were small to wait, then call it off.  Today just wasn't your day.  You'll get another go at it.  Even if you were 69 years old, and thinking of hanging up your goggles, I'd say "stay with it-- just one more year, give it another try". 

I give the same advice to you now.  This too shall pass, and you're still way more brave to have set out to do something very challenging than to have never tried at all.  Next year will be your year. 

And if you can, try for a few more lake swims between now and then... I love lakes, but love/hate the ocean.

Cheers, -Sunny 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first DNF Rss Feed