Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove from Nanaimo at 5am. Stopped at Timmy's for a breakfast sandwich. Will have to give up that habit soon...
Event warmup:

Swam a bit in the water
Swim
  • 21m 48s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

OH MY GOD... that was the coldest swim I have ever done! It was beyond freezing. I am normally a tough chick when it comes to water temperature, but I couldn't even breathe for the first few minutes of warmup. Apparently 6 people got out of the water and went home it was so cold.

I don't believe that the course was only 750m... I think it was closer to 1000m.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

This was a really slow transition, but it involved quite a long run from the ocean. Plus I was so freakin' cold that I could barely move.
Bike
  • 46m 24s
  • 20 kms
  • 25.86 km/hr
Comments:

Nice bike course. Completely closed to traffic. Didn't really like the 'laps' as I don't enjoy turning around, but I guess I will get better with time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This transition always goes better... Almost got hit by a grandma in a van coming into transition ;)
Run
  • 37m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Man is it difficult to run on the beach just coming off the bike! Then there was quite a hill to get up (me and almost everyone else walked it - it was quite steep...). Downhills were nice though... I would of course liked my time to be faster...
Post race
Event comments:

Due to the water temperature, I may not consider doing this race again. Not the fault of the race organizer though...

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:48 | 750 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangular shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0C / 32F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:24 | 20 kms | 25.86 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back - 3 loops. Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:42 | 05 kms | 07m 32s  min/km
Performance:
Course: Two loops of an extremely hilly course. Had to run about 500m (?) on the beach.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-11 6:58 PM

User image

Subject: Cadboro Bay Triathlon

2007-08-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: #922337

User image

Subject: RE: Cadboro Bay Triathlon

Great race, Michelle! 

I know what you mean about the water.. that's the reason why I won't do this race.  Too cold for me!!

2007-08-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: #922337

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I was one of those that did not finish the swim .. I had a severe asthma attack about 200m out, which I do contribute to the cold temperature of the water. I have not had an attack like that in 10 years, and I have not had a swim that cold in 10 years, so I assume the two are linked.

However I did not find the event very organized at all .. it started late, set-up was still occuring after the race started, there was lots of confusion in transition prior to the race about the course changes and how many laps we were required to do, and I found the maps to be difficult to read. As well, I had to slowly doggie paddle my way back to shore fighting to breath, as I could not find a rescue boat anywhere (and I was the middle of the pack when I had the attack) and I agree with you - that was NOT a 750m swim. I could just be bitter about my having to DNF, but I heard these same comments from others as well.

I was curious before hand about why I didn't see any familiar faces setting up as I usually run into all the same suspects at these things .. now I know it's because of the water temp - people that come back to do it the next year always opt for the du.
2007-08-16 9:48 PM
in reply to: #922629

User image

I have to agree with you about the set up.  My hubby and I were there quite early, and it looked like the race organizers had just got there.  They did have problems with teenagers knocking over the finish banner and tearing down the fence around the transition area, so I guess that put him back a bit.  It was a little scary that they were just putting out the buoys a few minutes before the race...  I stayed at the end for the door prizes, and was disappointed to see him calling out names randomly from a list for the prizes - would have liked a better 'chance' to win something (ie, not just his friends getting the stuff... - but I am assuming...).  Do you happen to know why the race is on a Saturday?

I am sorry to hear about your asthma attack - scary!  Hope that doesn't come back again.  Enjoy the rest of your summer!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cadboro Bay Triathlon Rss Feed